New Products Debuting at SHOT show!!!!!

Katie, I'm not sure my keyboard can handle all that saliva ...

(I'm all for making one of them the new pack knife)
Agreed! Those are beautiful knives. I'm not sure which I like better, but I think I'm leaning toward suggesting the LaserStrike II be the next Pack knife in honor of its debut. :thumbup: Now all I have to do is participate enough to have a Pack number in time for the Pack knife. :)

if im lost in the wild with only this knife, how do i unscrew the scale to get to the fire rod ?
Well, I don't see the screw heads clearly, but if they're simple slots or Phillips, you carry a P-38 can opener don't you? Like a good knife, a P-38 is such a simple, universal, basic tool that I carry one almost everywhere.

and dont forget its a prototype, the screws may be changed to flat heads or a tool may be included attached to a lanyard.

take it easy
cricket

otis williams said:
maybe i missed it, but i don't think the laserstrike was ever marketed as a "bushcraft" knife.
Here is a quote from the owner himself.
MikePerrin said:
It is a bushcraft knife with fire making as it's theme.
On the theme of fire making, wouldn't it make sense to leave the blade uncoated so as to strike a firesteel with the spine of your knife? That's one of the features of a good bushcraft knife imo. And many others opinions as well.
otis williams said:
if esee does one thing, it's listen to the end user.
I disagree. There have been many besides myself, who have expressed a dislike for choils and would LOVE to see a choilless offering (other than the ESEE 5) from ESEE. In all of those instances, I can't recall even a response from ESEE to those pleas. Do our interests not count? Do our requests not matter as much as those of S.E.R.E instructors?

maybe i missed it, but i don't think the laserstrike was ever marketed as a "bushcraft" knife. if esee does one thing, it's listen to the end user.

Posted by Mike Perrin:

Ontario never produced this knife for us. TOPS knives produced this knife for us years ago. It is a bushcraft knife with fire making as it's theme. Thus the bow drill divot and a couple of other things we might do to aid in building the fire like include a small ferro rod in the handle. The original LS built by TOPS had a back strap that sat above the handle slabs a bit so you could use the steel for striking a spark with true flint. However the differential heat treating became a royal pain in the ass since the back strap had to be around 60 or so Rockwell and the blade had to remain at around 56-57. The new one does not have the protruding back strap since we did away with the differential heat treat. We are discussing production and delivery here at SHOT and should have some news in the coming weeks. BUT it is going forward. Mike

Just saying

I disagree. There have been many besides myself, who have expressed a dislike for choils and would LOVE to see a choilless offering (other than the ESEE 5) from ESEE. In all of those instances, I can't recall even a response from ESEE to those pleas. Do our interests not count? Do our requests not matter as much as those of S.E.R.E instructors?

There are as many that like the choil as there is that don't. As far as ESEE not listening, that is completely false. If they listened to EVERY request, they would have way too much on their hands ;)

If ESEE doesn't make your perfect knife then look for a company that does.

I'm a follower of ESEE not because I think their knives are the best, but because I think their philosophies and business practices are.

My perfect knife isn't made by ESEE, so I bought it from someone who makes it.

Simple. :)

just saw the other thread where mike said that, oops.
junglas is choilless, the izula is basically choilless too. the blades are easily stripped by the end-user, if that's how you want to strike a steel.

seen the new pack? designed by forum members.
people begged for stainless, and it's happening now. esee listens to users, but they can't implement everything at once.

TheGame said:
There are as many that like the choil as there is that don't.As far as ESEE not listening, that is completely false. If they listened to EVERY request, they would have way too much on their hands
If the ratio is equal, does that mean the current and potentially future owners that don't like choils are just screwed? Offering your customers what they want is too much on their hands? That's a pretty weak arguement to me.

Listening to requests does not mean fulfilling all of them.
there were a LOT of requests to bring back the Laser Strike and initially we were told "not likely".
There have been a lot of requests for a stainless blade over the years - and it's finally happening. I won't be surprised if a stainless Izula shows up at Blade as well.

Listening to requests does not mean fulfilling all of them.
there were a LOT of requests to bring back the Laser Strike and initially we were told "not likely".
There have been a lot of requests for a stainless blade over the years - and it's finally happening. I won't be surprised if a stainless Izula shows up at Blade as well.

This is what I was trying to get in my post. Thank you. :thumbup:

If the ratio is equal, does that mean the current and potentially future owners that don't like choils are just screwed? Offering your customers what they want is too much on their hands? That's a pretty weak arguement to me.

Jeff and Mike may listen to their customers... but that doesn't mean they have to do everything that's suggested. It's their company. If we make a suggestion and they like it, they'll do it, if they don't why should they?

Again, as Jeff has said many times, if someone doesn't like it they are more than welcome to start their own knife company and do it the way they like.

I'm not a fan of choils either, so I buy knives that fit my style and preferences... then I've got what I want.

There are other fantastic knife companies other than ESEE.

:rolleyes:

Joe, I understand what you're saying. And I own knives from many other manufacturers. I just think ESEE could step out of their box a little with their offerings. It's not about creating the perfect knife FOR ME. Clearly there is a market for a more traditional knife with a no nonsense design. I think if ESEE offered it, not only would I buy it, but many others as well.

Otis, as you can see I'm new. I appreciate the link. It just seemed everytime, since I've been a member, that it was mentioned that there wasn't even an interest in a choilless ESEE.

Otis, as you can see I'm new. I appreciate the link. It just seemed everytime, since I've been a member, that it was mentioned that there wasn't even an interest in a choilless ESEE.

I'm interested. A choil-less 4 would rule. :thumbup:

There is indeed an interest ;)

Also, welcome to the forum, great group of people :thumbup:

Back