New Reil Forge up and running!

Dave-

Wow, I like that page you set-up for that!

That forge looks familiar
smile.gif
!!!

I suppose because I have a silver one in my shop...
smile.gif

I already have wheels turning for a bigger (dirty...) one just for welding in. Two hybrid burners and it would get hot enough to melt a Cadilac down into one of those belt buckles the rodeo guys wear (sorry cowboys
smile.gif
)

I'm glad you posted that, it will give many more people some insight to the forge and let them realize that they too can make one!

And to Terry, thanks again!

Nick

[This message has been edited by NickWheeler (edited 04-05-2001).]

Excellent page setup Dave! The forge looks fine too! Lol, I like the chair setup alot!! If those moose antlers are in your way, I'd be happy to give em a good home!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Thanks for the nice words guys. Making those forges was quite the experience. I think Nick might be on the right track with a separate unit to weld in. I just can't take up anymore space for now. If my back doesn't improve, it may all be a moot point.

Dave, your site really looks great. Terry

Those little forges work fine don't they! I'm enjoying mine also. It made heat treating my last knife a breeze. I think I'd go with an angled burner injection to get the vortex action on my next one just to compare. The hotspot with the direct insertion is a little hard to work around but has its uses also.

Guy Thomas

Silent-

I used a two inch bell reducer on mine...and I don't have hot spots. With it centered on the seem, and at about a 45 degree angle to the body...2" of kao-wool painted with a healthy dose of ITC-100, and not hot spots.

The new hybrid burners all but have to be aimed straight down toward the alumina shelf, as they will burn through the kao-wool/ITC-100. Yikes
wink.gif

Nick

I am getting ready to build one of them puppies myself! Winddancer is that the wasser burner or the reil burner or the EZ burner? Did you use a tweco tip like Ron suggests as an option or did you just drill and orfice hole? Lastly how much did the piece of high alumina kiln shelf cost. From what I priced it was pretty expensive. I was gonna use a hard firebrick but Bruce Evans said at welding temp they will turn to jelly. He suggested using a piece of stainless steel folded up on the sides to catch the flux. He also said that with the firebrick inside the forge for a floor it would take forever to warm up and it would take too much heat away from the forge from absorbtion. Let me know please on the kiln shelf. Cory

------------------
"I am a shootist."
Clay Allison
"Does this mean we are bladists?"
McAlpin Blades
http://www.geocities.com/mcalpinblades

Nice forge. Just one comment. If you are forging indoors, I would place your propane tank outdoors and drill a hole in the wall to run the propane line to the forge. If the tank's pressure relief value were to open up while forging, there would be one big KA-BOOM!!!!!

------------------
The Edge

[This message has been edited by exsanguinate (edited 04-08-2001).]

Hi Cory:

Winddancer is that the wasser burner or the reil burner or the EZ burner?

We used the EZBurner.

Did you use a tweco tip like Ron suggests as an option or did you just drill and orfice hole?

Ron says on his site NOT to use the Tweco tip with this forge because it will burn too hot and eat the insides out. The burner configuration shown is the correct one and gets PLENTY hot. We just drilled a #60 hole and it works perfectly.

Lastly how much did the piece of high alumina kiln shelf cost.

I can't remember what the individual costs were and I can't seem to find them. I know the floor material was the most expensive piece we had to buy. Total costs for three complete forges was right at $450.00. Because we had very little material left it would cost a little more to make just one.

Skip the brick- make the stainless trough if you are going to weld. We [Read that as Terry McMaster, Blind Dog] are researching a stainless trough now that will extend out the back and drip into a can to catch the flux and prevent damage to the forge.

The cost was minimal if you check prices for a small forge
smile.gif

Good luck with yours!

Dave Evans
Tenino, WA

Back