New Sifu

I just got a rekat sifu and was wondering if the D2 steel is going to be hard to sharpen maybe I should send it back and get one with the 34 steel? It's a really nice fitting knife a lot larger than I thought it was going to be. All I have to sharpen with is a Spyderco sharpmaker. :rolleyes:

I think if you avoid letting the blade get super dull, that you'll be okay with the Sharpmaker. Lots of folks report the ability to keep their 440V blades fine with the Sharpmaker.

If you have to move some steel, that would likely be a different deal altogether. I'd think in terms of a diamond stone, maybe one of the pocket variety.

According to Sal Glesser, diamond coated rods will be available in the fall. They had a tough time finding a method of adhering the diamonds to the rod that Sal would approve. But, guess they did. Hopefully, one will be able to buy just the rods and add them to the 204.

It depends how close the edge angle on your Sifu is to the rods on the Sharpmaker. I've sharpened my Sifu, an ATS-34 model, and my Doziers, D-2, on a 204 just fine.

Originally posted by Bugs3x
...According to Sal Glesser, diamond coated rods will be available in the fall...

That's good news. When did Sal make the annoucement? I must have missed it.

oh lord no keep the D2, you wont have problems, i promise - mine is not really harder to sharpen than any other decent steel, in my expeience anyway......

sifu

Keep the D2E SIFU. I use my Pikuni (D2E also) a lot, and have only had to touch it up a few times, and that was with a Shaopmaker.

Ricekr wrote:

All I have to sharpen with is a Spyderco sharpmaker.

For regular sharpening of cutlery, this is nearly all you need.
Some of my knives get hard use and the Sharpmaker makes fairly short work of the re-sharpening chore.
When the diamond sleeves come out, the Sharpmaker will be one of the best, most well equipped sharpening systems ever.
Read: All that and a bag of chips too!:D

Back