New steel

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Got a new CPM steel on the way to try out on smaller fixed blades. CPMS 35VN. It's suppose to be better the S30V with edge holding better then CPM154.
Scott

Well you've got my attention Scott!

What size blades are you looking at with this steel?

Any special heat treat issues to deal with?

I've been mulling over a small EDC type blade and would be interested in working with you on a design.

I'm thinking knives 4" blades or less. I'll be using 1/8" thick by 1" wide which is my standard size for smaller knives. The steel is not precision ground so it is somewhat oversized. Heat treating is the same as 154CM so there shouldn't be any issues.
Scott

How would something like this work?

923779847_xzTdY-L.jpg

How would something like this work?

923779847_xzTdY-L.jpg

Usually when I start using a new steel, I like to make up a test blade to be sure everything is on the up and up with it. When I feel confident about it, then I start using it for customer knives.
That looks like a great design. If you want to send that to me, I'll look it over.
Scott

I've been wondering when someone was going to start using this steel. I'm excited to see what you come up with. I'll be watching for it....

I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of this stuff, Scott.
Sounds like some neat steel.
Iz

Cardboard is in the mail.:D

As soon as I get a test blade finished up, we can talk about this design and if you want me to run with it.
Iz, my main testing is done on cardboard. It lets me know about edge holding and geometry.
Scott

That'd be great Scott.

My knife allowance is running low, but I'm game to try out the new steel. I'll be interested in your design ideas.

:thumbup:

I hear ya, Scott. Cardboard is a butt kicker on edge retention.:thumbup:
Iz

Indeed it is. Working in a grocery store for 33 years has given me the opportunity to test many knives. I've cut more cardboard then you can imagine. One of the best edge holding steels so far has been CPM 154. O1 is no slacker either.
Scott

I would be interested in what you think about this steel, and how you would compare it to cpm 154.

Back