New style kydex sheath - drop loop

Preferred method(s) of carry for kydex sheath?

• New Drop Loop idea works for me....!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horizontal carry with TekLok

• Vertical carry with TekLok

• In-The-Waistband carry with IWB TekLok or IWB loops

• Neck-knife carry with chain or paracord

• Canted carry (or pistol-style)

• I carry Strong Side

• I carry Weak Side (crossdraw)

• I carry clipped to a pack or bag....on an ALICE array, or similar

• Other carry method

• Total voters

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Taking my cue from the good kydex work done by Tom Krein and Bob Dozier, I've started making a new style of kydex sheath - one that can be work like a regular ole leather sheath - complete with belt loop.

Tell me what you think.

The loop is tapered near the handle so that you can have a high belt loop, yet still be able to draw the knife easily.

I fit the knife so that you cannot shake it out...even if held upside-down. But can still be drawn out with only 2 fingers if needed....3 preferred.

K4KardaIronwoodKydex0919-01.jpg

Backside - this one is canted slightly...I also have sheaths with no angle to the belt.

K4KardaIronwoodKydex0919-02.jpg

The back part of the belt loop is cut back a little to allow easier loading/unloading onto a belt, and for some rotation for comfort.

Here you can see it mounted to my Rafter S GunLeather sharkskin belt and rotated forward:

K4KardaIronwoodKydex0919-03.jpg

now with it rotated back:

K4KardaIronwoodKydex0919-04.jpg

I find this feature very handy...I have been wearing a sheath like this every day for a couple weeks now...fine-tuning the details, etc. I wanted to make sure it would do exactly what I wanted.

This sheath is also set up (just like my regular kydex sheaths) to work with the TekLok system.

K4KardaIronwoodKydex0919-05.jpg

I've set this one up for horizontal carry.

K4KardaIronwoodKydex0919-06.jpg

Can also be mounted for vertical carry with a TekLok.

K4KardaIronwoodKydex0919-07.jpg

I will be offering this sheath option on all my knives - with the exception of the nessmuks which will have quickdraw kydex sheaths as an option.

Pricing for small knives (4" blade and under) is $35

large knives (4"-8") is $45

I will not be offering kydex sheaths for any knives with blades over 8" at this time. Just too much fuss and bother. Even 6-8" is too much fuss and bother...but I can be persuaded if necessary.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Last edited:
Very nice. If I wanted a belt loop, that is what I would want. I carry two knives in Kydex, one a Mora Clipper, the other a Cold Steel Master Hunter. Both have folded over clips for carrying high on my weak side. When I go outside, to walk the dog in the woods for instance, I like to immediately clip one on. And then, when I come back in, take it off immediately. The downside is that sometimes when I go to draw the knife, the sheath comes with it. Still easy to pull off but an annoyance.

The CSMH originally had a Bianchi clip on the Kydex, for belt loop carry, I really didn't like it, removed it and folded the tab. All of my other fixed blades have leather sheaths with belt loops and strangely I wear those on the back of my right hip. Go figure :D. But yours is a very nice design, I like it.

Super!!! New Drop Loop idea works for me....! :thumbup::thumbup:
I will vote you in November. :D:D:D

Last edited:
I think that is a cool idea. :thumbup:
For me though, due to a comfort issue......... I would want the option of having the "loop" come up at least even with the top of the knife handle.
Up to 1/2 inch or a bit more above, would be fine also.
Just my .02

Can also be mounted for vertical carry with a TekLok.

K4KardaIronwoodKydex0919-07.jpg

This (pic) works best for me most of the time specially at work where I'm in and out of chairs with armrests, cars and cramped spaces and doesn't get caught on stuff easy. I also use high rise pistol holsters for the same reason.

In the woods however I prefer any of the drops, although I don't like it when the you draw the knife and the sheath raises up too far from the belt loop not fitting on the belt proper and since not all my belts are the same it's hard to have one premoulded kydex belt loop work well all the time.This is the strength of the easily adjustable TEK-LOCK and you don't need to remove your belt to get the sheath off.

I'd want a longer loop too. Sheaths with a short loop like that stick out to the side too much for me. And high rides dig into my ribs.

I like it Dan! I have a couple of Doziers with the drop loop and have always preferred them to a TekLok for anything over about a 3" blade.

I think that is a cool idea. :thumbup:
For me though, due to a comfort issue......... I would want the option of having the "loop" come up at least even with the top of the knife handle.
Up to 1/2 inch or a bit more above, would be fine also.
Just my .02

I'd want a longer loop too. Sheaths with a short loop like that stick out to the side too much for me. And high rides dig into my ribs.

Any chance of a longer loop being an option for us guys who find the "highrider" style uncomfortable to wear ?

I like the loop a little further down so the knife handle rides a bit higher. This is more comfortable for those of us with "mature" waist lines.

Back