New to knifemaking

Hello,
Im new to this forum and i was wondering if anyone could suggest the best way to get started in knifemaking. I recently purchased a knife kit and i wanted to know if anyone could suggest a good knifemaking book.Im thinking about buying a sander grinder and would like some suggestions also.
Thank you

you might have better luck over in the shop talk forum, still under blade discussion forum. as to your question, i'm afraid i can't help you. Welcome to bladeforums.

- Pete

Shop Talk is usually the place to ask questions about making knives. A good book to try would be Loveless and Barney's How to Make Knives. You should probably start out with some sort of 2x72" belt grinder if you want to make your own blades as well. Some cheap 2x72"s are the Grizzly and the Coote. I have the Grizzly, and I think it works pretty well. The Grizzly has a buffer on the side of it too, so it's very versatile.

I am new to this also so take it for what it is worth. I just bought a 2x72 Coote with a 8" wheel. It was recomended to me by a 10yr pro knife maker. He had his all that time withzero problems. I have had it for just a week,fooling around grinding all scrap just to get a "feel" for it ,but it seems to be preety good. It cost $450 including shiiping,with a tool rest($35) for doing hollow grinding on the wheel. It is welll built and very user friendly. Here is his info........N.E. Coote 231 Mats View Dr. Port Ludlow,WA 98365......Ph/Fax..360-437-0366...E-MAIL..coote@olypen.com.... Real nice people,I think it is a small family buisness. Give them a call, but not at 6 a.m. like I did. I felt like a dope but they didnt hold it against me:D good grinding:D :D :D :D

Be sure to post this as well as do some searches in the shop talk forum, its full of great stuff.

If your just into it as a hobby like me, then a 2X72 grinder may not quite fit the budget. pretty much any quality belt sander will work to get you started. I've had good experience with a Delta 4x36 belt sander, it has a 6" disc sander on the side. It works well for shaping handles like you'll need to do on the knife kit, and its adequate for grinding blades. Costs about $100 at the local hardware store too ;)

Barzini,

I would recommend that you take things AT YOUR PACE. A 2x72 and a metal cutting band saw and all that would be great!! if you actually like knife making enough to do it lots. A good file, a hack saw and a drill press, with lots of sand paper will get you well on your way. My first knfie was made with those tools. I have a 2x42 grinder from sears which fits my knife making schedule quite well. I also grind outside (I do most knife making things outside) so portability is important to me. Take it at your own pace.

Make lots of coffee and some good snack foods, pull up a chair and do searches on shop talk. This is the best book about knfie making. Too bad you can't take your PC into the "library" at home! Got a laptop? :D

Back