New to Tomahawks - a few questions

I'm new to Tomahawks and trying to decide what to go for first. My primary interest is as a martial artist, however understanding their practicality as a tool is important to me as well, so I have a few questions. Here goes:

Why does the Vietnam tomahawk have a straight edge when most 'hawks seem to have curved ones?

What advantages does this offer over a curved edge and what are the tradeoffs?

How are Tomahawks normally employed as entry tools - hack through doors/smash glass, etc. or more subtle techniques?

What disadvantages do Tomahawks have against a similarly sized hatchet/camp axe when compared as tools?

How is tool use/safety affected by the inclusion of added weapon features such as a spike or beak, or sharpening of the hooking edge?

What is the weight of the ATC Ranger filed grade (wasn't on the site)?

Thanks

Dom

Hi Dom,

You didn't ask the wrong questions, Andy was out of the office today and didn't get a chance to answer yours yet but I'll take a shot at a couple of them......

As for martial arts you'll find that a LOT of the styles benefit from incorporating the tomahawk into the weapons fighting. There are several styles that are currently using a tomahawk template for fighting and the added ability for trapping and clearing weapons from hands, etc is a huge plus.

The tomahawk is also currently used in the breaching kits by the Army for whatever and whenever they need it. We've heard stories here of guys using the tomahawks to go thru doors, break hasps and locks to clear locked rooms and Conex shipping containers, clearing glass out of windows for sniper positions and surveillence and even down to chipping ice off of large blocks so the guys can each have a little for their canteens.

As a camping tool you won't find a better multiple use tool from chopping wood, cutting down trees, clearing brush, breaking up hard ground for pitching tents and more.

For the more detailed questions like weight and curved vs. straight blade I'll let Andy answer those but I assure you that you'll find the tomahawk a useful tool in any situation and a lot of fun to throw.

Suzanne Settle
Customer Service
American Tomahawk Company
877-557-5200 (Toll-Free)

Thanks Suzanne, thats the sort of stuff I was looking for :)

I'm totally new to the subject so although I browsed back a way I wasn't sure if I was asking faq/newbie questions :footinmou

Any answers are welcome, as I am an empty cup as far as this subject goes. Even if they are qualified with a "I'm not sure, but..."

cheers

Dom

NorthStarXO said:
Hi Dom,

You didn't ask the wrong questions, Andy was out of the office today and didn't get a chance to answer yours yet but I'll take a shot at a couple of them......

As for martial arts you'll find that a LOT of the styles benefit from incorporating the tomahawk into the weapons fighting. There are several styles that are currently using a tomahawk template for fighting and the added ability for trapping and clearing weapons from hands, etc is a huge plus.

The tomahawk is also currently used in the breaching kits by the Army for whatever and whenever they need it. We've heard stories here of guys using the tomahawks to go thru doors, break hasps and locks to clear locked rooms and Conex shipping containers, clearing glass out of windows for sniper positions and surveillence and even down to chipping ice off of large blocks so the guys can each have a little for their canteens.

As a camping tool you won't find a better multiple use tool from chopping wood, cutting down trees, clearing brush, breaking up hard ground for pitching tents and more.

For the more detailed questions like weight and curved vs. straight blade I'll let Andy answer those but I assure you that you'll find the tomahawk a useful tool in any situation and a lot of fun to throw.

Suzanne Settle
Customer Service
American Tomahawk Company
877-557-5200 (Toll-Free)
Suzanne, Tell your boss that your post just prompted me to order one! :D

Back