New Umnumzaan Pivot

This thread was bad for my wallet. I phoned around until I found one of the "old" versions as a backup to my current one. It took quite a lot of calling...there are not many out there. Lots of dealers said "oh, I sold the last of those not too long ago..." :(

I just caught the last "old" one at PlazaCutlery. Thanks Dan! He has several of the new versions in stock now, not even knowing about the change until I mentioned it to him today. He had to look in the new boxes. With permission here is the one I ordered. I really like the original version with the larger pivot. Also the way the Idaho Made is printed is ok.
photo_zps8ab72e95.jpg

photo_zps0dbe99cb.jpg

This thread was bad for my wallet. I phoned around until I found one of the "old" versions as a backup to my current one. It took quite a lot of calling...there are not many out there. Lots of dealers said "oh, I sold the last of those not too long ago..." :(

My two here, both S30V also. :D

DSC_3146.JPG

DSC_3143.JPG

I don't mind the look of the pivot although after almost two years of educing my tanto umnum I've grown very accustomed to the old style. If they continue the mill work so that it doesn't look so out of place on the new model I think that it'll look very nice.
I posted a wtb thread for a tanto S30V with no IM stamp to be a back up for mine and ended up passing on the perfect knife due to a lack of funds, now I wish that I would've found a way to make it work as I'm sure that the price just went up $50.
I really like the old style jimmying and although I haven't held one with the new style yet I just don't think that it looks right- just my personnal opinion.

This isn't the first change in the umnum, it won't be the last. As long as I keep getting as much or more knife fir my money that'll hold up as well as my edc zaan has then I'm all in- just please get rid of that IM stamp, seriously!

I'm thinking i'll pick up a new umnumzaan down the line to have an old version and a new version, think it'll be a nice set. While the beefy pivot did help it stand apart from the seb, this new rendition doesn't seem too bad

Blackend- where did you get the Under Armour challenge coin? Are you a WW, or did it come with a WW purchase? Or maybe it's just with the dealers pic :p

I just caught the last "old" one at PlazaCutlery. Thanks Dan! He has several of the new versions in stock now, not even knowing about the change until I mentioned it to him today. He had to look in the new boxes. With permission here is the one I ordered. I really like the original version with the larger pivot. Also the way the Idaho Made is printed is ok.
photo_zps8ab72e95.jpg

photo_zps0dbe99cb.jpg

photo_zps8ab72e95.jpg

photo_zps0dbe99cb.jpg

Yep, Dan was one of the several dealers I spoke to who said "I just sold the last one..." :D Good catch, glad I got mine (spare)! :)

김원진;11310668 said:
I'm thinking i'll pick up a new umnumzaan down the line to have an old version and a new version, think it'll be a nice set. While the beefy pivot did help it stand apart from the seb, this new rendition doesn't seem too bad

Blackend- where did you get the Under Armour challenge coin? Are you a WW, or did it come with a WW purchase? Or maybe it's just with the dealers pic :p

I agree. But both pins do not use an internal bushing, so I believe the function will be negligable. Cost savings for Chris though to be sure. I used these pix with Dan's permission. Coin is his.

김원진;11310668 said:

I agree that the newer changes are not the end of the world, but I will bet that the pivot diameter has not changed, only the flange diameter. I like the looks of the original better, but the new version will be easier for users to service. :thumbup:

Nice pics. Do you like the new pivot? Do you find it obtrusive or annoying at all?

I recently purchased my first Unmun, an '08 version. I heard the new ones were coming, so I fell into the category of those who were under the impression that they were ordering a knife with the 'old' pivot. When the new pivot arrived I was a little surprised.

That being said, the '08 that I have will see little use. I was looking for another umnum to use hard and this one will fill that gap. The things that I love about the umnum most are the ergonomics and the texturing on the scales. This remains the same with the new version. Both the new and old pivot are more than robust for any sane use of the knife.

I personally like the aesthetics of the older version better. However, the new knife is still a work of art. The new pivot sticks out from the scales just as far, if not further, than the old pivot. It will be easier to break down, however I will note that CR did NOT include any tools for this new version.

Overall its a great knife that will be a great user for me. I would recommend the knife to others wholeheartedly.

I recently purchased my first Unmun, an '08 version. I heard the new ones were coming, so I fell into the category of those who were under the impression that they were ordering a knife with the 'old' pivot. When the new pivot arrived I was a little surprised.

That being said, the '08 that I have will see little use. I was looking for another umnum to use hard and this one will fill that gap. The things that I love about the umnum most are the ergonomics and the texturing on the scales. This remains the same with the new version. Both the new and old pivot are more than robust for any sane use of the knife.

I personally like the aesthetics of the older version better. However, the new knife is still a work of art. The new pivot sticks out from the scales just as far, if not further, than the old pivot. It will be easier to break down, however I will note that CR did NOT include any tools for this new version.

Overall its a great knife that will be a great user for me. I would recommend the knife to others wholeheartedly.

Thanks for your input brother. I am about to pull a trigger on my first CRK and it will be Umnu... while I wait for small Seby 25 :)

I'm confused about your post - you bought a knife made in 2008 according to the card and it has the new pivot? That should not be possible. Did it come from a dealer or a private party?

He already has a 2008 model. He ordered another one recently thinking it would have the old pivot but it had the new one.

He already has a 2008 model. He ordered another one recently thinking it would have the old pivot but it had the new one.

That's how I read it too. I'd be curious to see a breakdown of both knives interiors. Hey Kenny, would you mind breaking your new version down and taking some more fantastic pix for us?

Back