New way of engraving/cutting kydex and leather?

So I was reading the news this morning about 3D printers and it mentioned something interesting. Apparently this particular model is capable of engraving and cutting leather:

https://glowforge.com/tech-specs/

Since it doesn't require a stamp to do the engraving it may be a nice way of making a one off engraving like someone wanting their crest, team insignia (police, army, scouts etc...) or coat of arms on their sheaths/handle/ricasso (they can do titanium, not sure about steel).

Although it did not mention it specifically I don't think kydex would be a stretch to do either...

What do you think everyone?

Now that is a pretty darn nifty device! Thanks for posting that. :)

My pleasure leatherman :)

Yeah I agree Gadsden pricewise its way out of my reach! I think it might be a worth it if you make sheaths for a living but for a hobbyist like me its too much. Hopefully they would produce a budget version of it soon!

Research it a little deeper...
We really wanted to get one at my job.
A little research convinced us to wait a good while.

Still an interesting concept.

Just a FYI,

Laser cutting kydex can be very very bad for you.
I have it professionally done by a laser cutting company with a very expensive laser and very very good ventilation system.

It could kill you.

http://tcmaker.org/wiki/index.php?title=Laser_Cutter_Materials

WARNING: Many plastics are dangerous to cut, so it's important to know exactly what plastic you have. Make: has a post describing how to identify unknown plastics.
Material DANGER! Cause/Consequence
Chlorinated plastics (PVC, vinyl, pleather/artificial leather, Sintra, Kydex)

Emits chlorine gas when cut

Destroys the focus lens and mirrors, corrodes metal parts and motion control system.

ABS is worse

ABS Emits cyanide gas, melts, bursts into flame Tends to melt rather than vaporize, leaving behind gooey deposits on the honeycomb bed. Easily bursts into flame. Also engraves poorly (again, it melts rather than etches).

Listen to David. For Kydex, it's a very very bad idea.

For leather, it should be fine. I personally think stamping looks massively better than laser etching though.

I do intend to buy a laser cutter at some point. Not for Kydex, but for cutting acrylic and doing some pretty specific stuff with leather. Spent some time looking into the Glowforge and will share my limited thoughts.

Pros:
- The camera system is really freaking cool. Being able to draw on a piece and then just cut it and the ability to see your piece and move stuff around live is pretty huge.
- Light and compact. Can move it around really easily for it's work size.
- Pretty cheap for what you're getting. At least currently.

Cons:
- It's plastic.
- The laser isn't anything special.
- No cooling that I've seen. This machine seems to be using a Chinese glass tube, but there's no mention of water cooling.
- Software is cloud based so you have to be connected to the internet and will likely be paying fees for more than the basic functionality.
- The warranty is pretty bad. Like 6 months IIRC.
- You're in for a wait before you get it. I believe they've already missed the estimated ship dates on the initial ones. I would guess you may be looking at a year or more if you pre-order now.

Leaving out the marketing gimmicks and such since it doesn't really have anything to do with functionality. Not a dang printer though.

I've pretty much decided that the Glowforge probably isn't the way I'll go unless actual user testing comes back with really good reviews by then. If you look around, you can find laser cutters with the same work area cheaper. Will weigh a whole lot more and need to be fiddled with though.

On a side note, their marketing does irritate me for the very reason David pointed out. If they're gonna market this thing to the masses, they really should make it more clear how dangerous it can be.

Oh wow! Thanks guys for the warning! I did not expect that. I was aware of the phenolics like G10 and micarta so I do wear a respirator, goggles and an overall when I sand those but kydex somehow fell off my radar. Thanks again guys you probably saved me from a lot of grief!

Back