Newbie: my eight year old son wants to make damascus.

Oh and any software/hardware or machinery I should look into for making knives would be greatly appreciated! I don't mind putting kits together or soldering hardware to save money with kits. Plus he can get student edition software since he is homeschooled. :)
My boy is asking to make knives on the computer now in addition to the forging. This could keep him busy for a while until he starts asking about Damascus again. 😒

Yes, didymium is not the preferred glasses for bladesmiths anymore. Most now use AUR 99 glasses from auralens.
http://auralens.net/metalworking-filters
What about using the green ANSI Standard Shade Rated glasses? Uvex has a lens called "Infra-Dura"

Shade 2.0 = 85% IR absorbtion
Shade 3.0 = 91% IR absorbtion
Shade 2.0 = 97.5% IR absorbtion

They are not rated for arc welding (welding masks start at Shade 8.0)

Oh and any software/hardware or machinery I should look into for making knives would be greatly appreciated! I don't mind putting kits together or soldering hardware to save money with kits. Plus he can get student edition software since he is homeschooled. :)
My boy is asking to make knives on the computer now in addition to the forging. This could keep him busy for a while until he starts asking about Damascus again. 😒

On the subject of kits, see the kits at knifekits.com and other suppliers

Good question Rick. I will take a picture of the AUR 99s (when they come in next week) with the Uvex shade 3s that he has. I am thinking the AUR99s might be lighter green? Maybe easier to see out of? I am not sure.

To The Count: good idea. I will get him a knife kit. He really wants to make a folding knife and maybe he can also see how the folding knife parts work together and he can make his own on the computer. Plus he loved the Kirinite handle material they knifekits.com sells. 😀

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436384470.922565.jpg

Finally! The perfect blacksmithing glasses for my boy. Pro Line Bling Wrap with the AUR-99 lens. Great protection, comfortable, good shade to see out of. Just perfect. Yay! Bought from auralens.net

Nice to see someone as young as this with such a passion, while everyone will warn you to be safe, it's pretty obvious that you are trying your best on that score, it is super important to understand all the risks involved. Being prepared is as always a great thing, basics are critical to work on.

I have a feeling in 10 years time, he will be one heck of a Bladesmith ! you folks here best keep an eye on this youngin' :)

G2

I agree with Gary. I started marking knives around 8 but my parents Wernt so enthusiastic so I ended up teaching myself. If he lerns safety and is encouraged to do things properly he will grow to apreciate safety and teqnique. And he could become a great blacksmith. I look forward to seeing some of your work
As for damascus. I'm just embarking on my first billet after 13 years of perfecting my teqnique and I've made more then my fair share of blunders
Even a weld without flux is dangrous. I have had metal slag stick to my arm. And flakeing scale is like superglue
Before anything make sure his basics are Rock solid. And make sure that you understand your forge fire
My best advice is read a lot. Watch YouTube documentarys. Question everything.

Back