Newbie to hawks with some questions.

Hey guys I have been hanging around on the ESEE forum for a while & been lurking here for a few days. Seen some beautiful pieces in here. I currently own one hawk that I picked up at a rendezvous. It’s not a bad hawk per say but mainly just a little thrower. I have seen several guys on here modifying Cold Steel hawks. I really like this idea. I am considering getting a CS trailhawk. & modifying it myself. However are there any builders out there that have a similar design for not much more. As mentioned I am extremely new the hawk world so any help would be appreciated. I am wanting to mod the CS to be more “tactical” in look & if possible function. So you may keep that in mind. Thanks for all your help & I look forward to your replies.

It seems that about $25 is the cut-off point for a decent mass produced hawk.

Several companies have hawks in that price range. Hand forged will cost more,prolly double at minimum.

Tactical?

Paint it OD or black, handle included ,and add a wedge.

A thrower should not have a wedge in the top of the handle.

Prolly nuthin wrong with your rondy hawk. I prefer the 18th cent look but, YMMV.

I may be dumb, but isn't wedging the top of a hawk kinda stupid? I mean, they fit the opposite of an axe, with the head coming off by sliding down the haft, not being put in place at the top and wedged. I'd think you'd want to pound the thing on as tight as you can and then add a tight rawhide (or paracord for the "tactical" look) right below the head to help keep it from working loose and sliding off.

Hey gentlemen, thanks for the info. I will have to look into the whole wedging thing since I seem to have two views on this & I don't know one way or the other. I think I might have seen a pic. where someone had actually put a screw through the head of the hawk & into the handle to help hold it on. Would this be a good idea, why or why not? Thanks again guys.

Another question that I have been pondering is the different type of hawks I see. I have noticed several traditional styles with a forged head & stand alone handle. However I have noticed that there are several out there with the head & handle being made from one piece of metal. & with handle slabs. Is one design preferred over the other?

I currently own one hawk that I picked up at a rendezvous. It’s not a bad hawk per say but mainly just a little thrower.
Nice!!
I got a hand made forged hawk at a mt. man rendevouz in Creede, CO about 4 years ago
It's what got me "back"" into collecting knives (and more hatchets!)

Last year I went to the Cold Steel Parking Lot Sale
I bought 2 Riflemans hawks and 2 Frontier hawks
They were 27 bucks each
I'm gonna go again this year :D
http://www.coldsteel.com/sales.html
3538584142_7f3760cacb_b.jpg

I plan on chopping the hammer poll off of the Rifleman
I know that is a popular mod...........
And welcome to the sub-forum!!:thumbup:

I may be dumb, but isn't wedging the top of a hawk kinda stupid? I mean, they fit the opposite of an axe, with the head coming off by sliding down the haft, not being put in place at the top and wedged. I'd think you'd want to pound the thing on as tight as you can and then add a tight rawhide (or paracord for the "tactical" look) right below the head to help keep it from working loose and sliding off.

Some hawks were actually made to be wedged from the top.

Back