Niolox(SB-1) Vs Elmax Vs Vanax (Other European Stainless Steels)

Hi, I was wondering how Niolox, Elmax, Vanax are compared to other Super Stainless steels such as S35vn, Cpm154, 440c, etc...
In terms of edge retention, corrosion, price, and most imporantly (Toughness).
Also to Gianni, Molletta, and Neo do you guys have anymore information about other new Stainless steels?

AFAIK, in short:

Elmax and Vanax are from Uddeholm (now owned by Bohler).

ELMAX:
it's a sharp edge steel retaining many of "hard carbon steel" properties while being stainless, thanks to fine carbides.
* good stain resistance
* gets pretty hard
* good edge retention
* fairly easy to sharpen
* more on the hard/brittle side

Vanax:
Nitrogen steel: extremely stainless (for salt water use), mechanical properties compare with Elmax except doesn't get as hard, probably similar to X15-TN.

Niolox is from Lohmann steel using Niobium chemical element:
* stainless
* regarding mechanical properties similar to D2, somewhat longer edge retention, somewhat tougher

I read that people were saying Elmax was the toughest stainless steel even more than s35vn.
Do you think Niolox which i read was modified AEB-l is the toughest stainless?

Elmax is made with one of the best current technologies. This increases the performance compared to competitors steel made with powder.
However, the s35vn is a very good steel to work.

SB-1 is a conventional steel , with a good head treating have very good performance. Good edge retention, easy to resharp... It's one of my preferred stainless steel.

Elmax is made with one of the best current technologies. This increases the performance compared to competitors steel made with powder.
However, the s35vn is a very good steel to work.

SB-1 is a conventional steel , with a good head treating have very good performance. Good edge retention, easy to resharp... It's one of my preferred stainless steel.

But if you were going for more toughness what would you pick Elmac or SB-1?

Back