Review Nitecore Tube.

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
Probably not news to the folks who hang out here, but I was impressed by this gadget and had to post about it. A search did not reveal a thread about it.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitec...MImdvb4P2V3gIVGMNkCh1LSQghEAAYASAAEgIFoPD_BwE

I have several AAA flashlights designed for EDC. This rechargeable Tube blows them out of the water for handiness. I've been carrying one daily for a couple of months now. I am thoroughly impressed.

♦ The 1 lumen setting is perfect for finding the keyhole on a dark porch. It also is enough to light the stairs at night when I don't want to turn on the lights. For me, the 48-hour run time puts this in the "always carry, just in case" category.
♦ The 45 lumen setting will light my path outside on a dark night. And it will last an hour on that setting.

I've had occasion to use both modes and think they about perfect for my needs as an urban homeowner. If there were a moonlight setting, I'd be even happier, but the lack is not sufficient to decrease my admiration for this design.

With a $10 price tag it pegs the bang-for-the-buck meter. Recommended.

I have one. It's really the best keychain light I've ever used. The fact that it's usb rechargeable makes it much more convenient that the ones that take button cells.

I carry a Tube on my keychain. I almost always have a backup 1AAA on me, so it's not as important to me that the Tube will sometimes come on in my pocket. It's probably not so important in a more urban environment, especially when your phone can usually serve as a short-term backup.

I also have a Nitecore Tip, which is just a bit bigger, but comes with a clip (new model) and 2 different ways to prevent accidentally turning it on. I like it much better than the Tube, but it might be a little too big for a keychain for some.

When my Tube died, I tried the Tip. There's a lot to like...but it wasn't for me. The Tube was the perfect size for my work ID; and I regret having given away my two spares.
My current light gives me a distinctive click when I walk (as it bounces off my ID).

I had a Tube UV. After a few months it stopped working. Something in the switch or the LED was wonky. I could flex it and it would flash, but not stay on continuously.

Eventually I replaced it with another Tube UV. This one barely lasted 2 weeks.

Maybe it's because it's on my keychain which bangs around with other stuff in my pocket including a 4 layer SAK, but I have found it not to be an even remotely durable flashlight.

Hmmm - I used mine for nearly three years; then, one night, it wouldn't turn off.

The newer versions have electronic lockout so won't come on in the pocket.
I have the Tube, Tip and Mini. Like them all.
tuT91jvh.jpg

The newer versions have electronic lockout so won't come on in the pocket.

I have the newer version. Haven't used the lockout feature yet. Since it seems that a couple of you have have needed it, maybe I'll start using it.

Maybe it's because it's on my keychain which bangs around with other stuff in my pocket including a 4 layer SAK, but I have found it not to be an even remotely durable flashlight.

Yep, they're a bit on the fragile side. I had one for a while that stopped working after my keys (with tube attached) got tossed and hit the concrete. One good drop is all it took to mess up the electronics. Meanwhile my electronic key fob has survived dozens of similar falls...

Back