No Class Brass

It has been a while since I have posted, so here is a "No-Class" Brass offering. (Some folks think that Brass has no Class)

Forged 52100 with a Scotch Brite finish
Three of everything (3-3-3)........(Normalize, Quench, and Temper cycles)
No-Class Brass guard and butt-cap (butt-cap is textured (dimpled)
Stabilized Black Ash Burl Handle
OAL - 10 3/4"
Tip to Guard - 6 1/2"
Raidused and Polished Spine

Thank you Mark Williams for the stock (I owe you some "Old Micarta")

Thanks for taking the time to look. (Home-Grown Sheath later - I may post some pics of it)

Robert

52100-1.jpg

Looks good Robert,

I used some of that old micarta a little while back. I like the little purple threads running through it.

Dont worry about sending me some unless you just want to. If you do , I'll send some more 52100. :)

Get a bottle of brass-black and put on that guard. Gives it a nice rich color.

Thanks guys for your comments. I had fun making this one.

I have only been "delving" into forging for a few months now, and since I don't really have anyone who forges on an ongoing basis that is really close by (that I know of), I have relied on these forums, attending a few hammer-ins, and a whole lot of trial and error.

I highly recommend to anyone seeking to gain skills as a knifemaker to attend as many hammer-ins as possible. Not only will you meet some of the most wonderful people on this good ole' earth, but you will get the most delightful headache you have ever had in your life. (Your brain can only absorb so much information in a given time frame)

I thank you all for being who you are and for sharing so much information.

Robert

Beautiful knife, but what in the WORLD is it sitting on? Looks like a fuzzy pink newt! :confused: :D

Keith Montgomery said:
You know, if it weren't for the brass, that would be a really nice looking knife.

Just kidding.
icon_bolt.gif
Funny, I was gonna give him a hard time and say if it wheren't for the knife, it'd be some nice looking brass :D

Really though, that's a great looking knife, and I love the materials!

Tony

Do people really think brass is no class? I'm wondering because I use it on almost all my knives.

I like brass. Why would anyone say it didn't have class? Is there something fundamentally wrong with brass? I use it in most of my knives too. It must be a matter of opinion. That knife looks great, brass and all.

raylaconico said:
Do people really think brass is no class? I'm wondering because I use it on almost all my knives.

I'm not a huge fan of brass, but it can look good. I have always preferred the colour of bronze.

I have always preferred the colour of bronze.

Colour? You mean "color"? Eh? :D :D
By the way, that Don Fogg bowie in your avatar is one sweet lookin' piece.

I can't speak for everyone on the subject of brass, but for me, the stigma is due to all those Pakistani knives I remember from my childhood, that always had brass fittings and wood handles. It's a real shame, too. I love the color of brass and bronze with certain handle materials. It adds some much needed contrast on a knife with a stainless blade and white ivory handle, for example. (but blued steel with gold inlays works pretty darn good too. ;) ) Heck, just recently I was working on a bowie inspired by an antique piece that had brass fittings. I had the bar of brass already slotted for the guard, when after some pondering, I decided to go with silver instead solely because I knew brass would not be accepted on a higher grade knife. It's sad, really.

Hmmm.... After re-reading the above, I don't want to give the wrong impression here. Roosko, I think those materials look great. Kudos to you for going with your heart rather than popular opinion. :thumbup:

I have a couple of customers that bad mouth brass and insist on nickle silver. (Little do they know that nickle silver doesn't have any silver in it but I charge them a little extra anyway.) I carry a stag handle hunting knife with a brass guard that has never been polished since it came out of my shop. I think the patina that has developed over the years adds a nice touch to the overall looks of the knife.

Keep using brass Roosko; it's a nice touch!

Back