Non-Manufacturer Question

APC

I know that everyone has their favorites and bias, but this question really speaks to practicality and functionality over the desire for a single company's product. I own (or have owned) dozens of different multitools and I have found them all lacking in some way.

In your opinion, what is the best overall multitool out there than has the most useful stuff and can be used/opened the easiest (truely "one hand") and has the most practial uses for today's urban cowboy?

Give details as to why you feel the way you do.

APC said:
I know that everyone has their favorites and bias, but this question really speaks to practicality and functionality over the desire for a single company's product. I own (or have owned) dozens of different multitools and I have found them all lacking in some way.

In your opinion, what is the best overall multitool out there than has the most useful stuff and can be used/opened the easiest (truely "one hand") and has the most practial uses for today's urban cowboy?

Give details as to why you feel the way you do.

Need some clarification here. By "truely one hand opening," do you mean pliers or knife blades? If pliers, Gerber is the only one designed for that. If knife blades, Leatherman Charge, Wave and Surge are the only choices, with the Surge having the greatest array of implements. That narrows the field considerably. The only remaining consideration is how much tool you want to pack, how well it is made, how much you are willing to spend, etc.
Oh, such fun!

Yes, I actually have the Gerber plyers (that go out the end) and have owned a few of their tools. I am really looking for a one handed relating to (other) parts of the tools, especially a knife blade. One tool that has a one hand blade opening is the Gerber Nautius, but it has some other things about it I do not like (search for my previous posts here to see more).

I really like leatherman and swiss army tools, but want some tool that I can use with one hand. This may sound like a strange request, but recently I broke both my hands/arms in an accident and for a while, only one hand actually worked at all.

If it has to be one handed and this i take it includes the blades then i would say the best alround multitool is the Charge Ti .

Dunc

Thanks for the advice!

I have checked out both and look really quite nice and very functional. Maybe I might just have to get both! The Charge Ti (looks a little more atypical due to its color) was $77 at Walmart; the Surge was $80.00 at Target.

I wonder how long the blades are? Some work environments are pretty uptight about that; and over 2.75" freak out the HR department people. Ugh.

APC said:
Thanks for the advice!

I have checked out both and look really quite nice and very functional. Maybe I might just have to get both! The Charge Ti (looks a little more atypical due to its color) was $77 at Walmart; the Surge was $80.00 at Target.

I wonder how long the blades are? Some work environments are pretty uptight about that; and over 2.75" freak out the HR department people. Ugh.

The Charge blades (both) are each a little under 3". There Surge blades are slightly larger. Also keep in mind that the Surge is HUGE. It weighs more than 3/4 of a pound, and that's only the tool.

znapschatz said:
..... By "truely one hand opening," do you mean pliers or knife blades? If pliers, Gerber is the only one designed for that. ...

The pliers on the SOG PowerLock S60 open easily using just one hand. You can "flick" it open like a butterfly knife.

parnass said:
The pliers on the SOG PowerLock S60 open easily using just one hand. You can "flick" it open like a butterfly knife.

Leatherman Supertool and PST can also be flipped open when loosened up enough by use. Others, like the Charge, can also be opened one handed with a leg assist to help it along ("one handed/one legged?") but none are really designed as for one hand operation.

I very much appreciate the information. My problem now just finding places where they stock any of these; most use the internet now for items like this that are somewhat expensive and elite. Anyone purchase from brick and moarter store? Even my eariler examples (W.M and Target) do not have in stock; only available by ordering and I would like to feel them first. Another bonus for any of this equipment would be if you might be able to use them in a manner for emergency self-defense. I don't like most of the feature of the Gerber Nautilus for example, but it does have a one-hand opening blade (short to not freak out HR at work) and can be inverted in your hand to be like certain eastern style, curved style knife (name escapes me).

APC said:
Another bonus for any of this equipment would be if you might be able to use them in a manner for emergency self-defense. I don't like most of the feature of the Gerber Nautilus for example, but it does have a one-hand opening blade (short to not freak out HR at work) and can be inverted in your hand to be like certain eastern style, curved style knife (name escapes me).

I am no self defense expert, this is just my opinion:

Even with some hand to hand training (army, too many years ago), I never considered a folding knife to be a good SD weapon if it gets past the intimidation stage. Especially, I wouldn't consider using any of of the multitool blades for self defense. I would have more confidence in the needlenose pliers, which can be a formidable striking weapon, more easily deployed and solid.

Once, because I could access it in a hurry, I was prepared to use a closed Supertool in an SD situation as a fist weight/striking weapon, although it never came to blows. If a weapon becomes necessary, it should be a dedicated one with which you are well trained. However, from experience, I believe that mind set will protect your safety better than any weapon (military operations excluded, of course).

I absolutely agree with you on all those counts. Makes good sense. I was just thinking of the old expression: what is the best gun/knife for defense? The answer is, "the one you have on you". If you work in today's society, some places (my work for example) put pictures on their doors that say you cannot have gun or even a knife that has a blade over 3" and they can even search you or your car. I own hundreds of knives (even after giving away about a hundred over the years); it seems pretty stupid, but I cannot carry my favorites or most of the best ones much of anywhere. Fortunately some states (e.g MI) acknowledge a knife in the same category as a firearm and you can carry some places with your permit, but is still very limited. In an emergency I would use a toothbrush or a nail file, it that is all I had and I would use it as strategically as the design of the implement and situation would allow. Ever seen the movie Cellular? The scene where Kim Bassinger with the huge bald headed guy about to rape and kill her? Excellent scene if you have not seen it; and could be important imformation should anyone be in a similar situation.

APC said:
My problem now just finding places where they stock any of these; most use the internet now for items like this that are somewhat expensive and elite. Anyone purchase from brick and moarter store? ...

I bought the SOG PowerLock S60 multitool from a local True Value hardware store a few months ago. It was sold as a True Value tool in a plastic blister pack and cost about $60. That was less expensive than many internet vendors -- a pleasant surprise.

Back