Not very hidden tip in Cold Steel 4max Scout

Hi. I'm new here. I've been following you for several years, but now I have to ask you something. I haven't found any information or opinion on this subject anywhere, and one issue worries me. I have a 4max Scout and ever since I got my hands on it, one thing has been keeping me up at night and questioning my allegiance to Cold Steel. To the point:

Have you noticed how little the tip of the knife (4max Scout) hides when folded into the handle? It's a pity that it can hit something, catch something or cut it off - an unlikely scenario, but still. However, what bothers me is that after some time, after several dozen sharpenings, the tip will protrude from the handle.

I don't save my knives, I use them often and intensively. Therefore, I sharpen them. When sharpening, the blade gradually disappears. I know that my Recon1 will serve me for a long time. I'm afraid that 4max Scout, after some time, may become only a shelf exhibit, because it won't be possible to put it in your pocket without fear.

Have any of you had such thoughts or such a situation? Let me know, because my sympathy for Cold Steel is at stake. I also don't know if this knife is worth using or selling and looking for a better alternative.

L6LkPoZ.jpg

I just measured my Cold Steel 4Max Scout. There is 3/16ths of an inch coverage of the blade by the scales. It will take a lot of sharpening with a stone to take off that much steel. You might sharpen differently than I do though. I use mine frequently also.

I think youre worried about a problem that doesn’t currently exist, and may not exist for a long time, of ever. If you use and sharpen your knives so much that the blade point will rise above the handle, then it’s not much of a stretch to think you could drop the point a little to hide it again. But if it bothers you that much, sell it and get something else.

BTW, welcome to BF.

Thanks for your replies. I'll stick with 4max though. The only other thing that comes to my mind - as an alternative to "lowering" the tip - is to slightly file the blade where it contacts the pin when the knife is closed, so that the blade goes deeper into the handle (when some of the cutting edge is gone from sharpening). If we get along with 4max, I'll probably find out in some time whether it would be a good or stupid idea ;-)

Back