Notes from the Editor....

Les,

If you were told in a different conversation that you couldn't meet with the board that's one thing.

But in New York you were told to get on the agenda. You were told you could. It's as plain as that. I even talked to the board member in question before I wrote the post to be sure of my recollection. I didn't want to write something I wasn't sure about. Go ahead and call him. He will recall. It was quite memorable.

And your right, I wasn't there for the whole conversation and didn't claim to be. I only spoke what I heard.

Your feelings about Johnny are your business. Just thought I'd point out a different view.

Your right. I knew you didn't have to be a master smith to get into Reno. Just an active maker. Pay your dues, make your knives, get on the list and come on down.

I have no problem with dealers and do you really think Dave Harvey or Daniel are selling knives out of their bedroom? I think your talking about fringe dealers.

Come on Les, you know who the chairman of the ABS is don't you? I think you can find his number and get on the agenda.

Again as I've said before, I have no problem with you questioning the ABS. Just your methods and lack of facts.

Again, we are going nowhere.

In this thread he has totally hijacked it to being a bash on the ABS and their makers.... I don't even belong to the ABS and it raises my hackles!!

I see Les being critical of the ABS - I do not see him being critical of their makers. Indeed, he is one of the most vocal promoters of ABS makers that I can think of. I have lost count of how many published articles of his that I have read featuring ABS makers. And in terms of promoting the forged blade to his customers - he's pretty much at or near the top of that ladder as well. Like Joss, I may not endorse everything he has to say on the subject of the ABS as an organization - but I think that in general he is both on topic and on target.

Remember, this thead has its genesis in the published comments of the editor of the ABS Magazine. Comments which precious few ABS members have openly disagreed with or distanced themselves from.

Roger

It appears that a great deal of the concern about forums is that they are populated by anonymous members and unaccredited experts. People that attack others from the comfort of anonymity, and those that give advice about topics that they really know nothing about. Those are two valid complaints. These people are mainly a problem for people that don't have much experince with forums, or with knives. If someone has been around forums and knives long enough, they learn to recognize the pseudo experts. Those that attack others without good reason tend to be brought down a few notches by other forum members.

I should qualify my comments by stating that I am referring to how things are handled on the knife forums that I frequent.

Hi Larry,

The ABS feels it can't hire someone to do their web site? BS

As I said earlier non-profits can hire people. Obviously it wouldn't be a full time position. Which means no benefits, etc.

Actually the site could pay for itself from a slight increase in dues. Im sure the JS makers would kick in an extra $10 a year. It would be worth it just to get their names on the site. They could make it work if they wanted to...lets face it they don't care about the web site.

The college owns the school...fine. What are they doing with all the money they make from student tuition? It sure isn't to keep the place clean and void of hazards. Surely some of it can go to upgrade the facility. If the ABS is all about education, why doesn't it start its own school(s).

Larry, so you are saying the ABS charter says they are only supposed to teach educated potential makers? If that is the case fine. However, if the charter states that the ABS is supposed to educate the community at large....then they are failing miserably.

Then again, if like you the other makers don't give S**T about the way the ABS is handling items I have previously mentioned. Your right I shouldn't care either.

WWG

i just wanted to chime in here for the misinformed> the ABS does not get on dime off the school tuition. it usally spends money there. they just bougth two new mills and new air compressor for keeping the school cleaner. there has also been a big cleanup taken place. we moved alot of useless things out and move some machinery into the observation room to keep it cleaner. there is alot more room to work and observe now, you would have noticed this if you would have come to the hammer inn. this all happened after you was there the week before. if you talk to Scotty you will find out the school hardly ever breaks even on class expenses. larry sure is perfervid about the ABS. just a general quote here not directed at anybody "The difference between genius and stupidity is that unlike stupidity, genius has its limits."

i just wanted to chime in here for the misinformed> the ABS does not get on dime off the school tuition. it usally spends money there. they just bougth two new mills and new air compressor for keeping the school cleaner. there has also been a big cleanup taken place. we moved alot of useless things out and move some machinery into the observation room to keep it cleaner. there is alot more room to work and observe now, you would have noticed this if you would have come to the hammer inn. this all happened after you was there the week before. if you talk to Scotty you will find out the school hardly ever breaks even on class expenses. larry sure is perfervid about the ABS. just a general quote here not directed at anybody "The difference between genius and stupidity is that unlike stupidity, genius has its limits."

Hey Dickiedog!

..."If genius has it's limits, then stupidity must have it's limits too."

That’s only logical, if you think about it and do the math…

(that's all I got today folks!) :)

... seriously folks!

There's More! hee hee

Hey!
I don't see anything wrong with someone steering the conversation another way,... if everyone seems to go along with it as a topic of conversation.

I don't see anything wrong with anyone bashing the ABS,... or defending it.

As far as the name calling goes (true or not), ... I think you have to keep a sense of humor about it!

When someone calls you names or makes inflammatory remarks towards you on a public forum,... it means you won!

Most folks seem to see their own flaws in others. When they say something negative towards you, it is only to make themselves feels better,… True?

(...never have heard the "Sky Possum" talk like that before though...)

Hey Dickiedog!

..."If genius has it's limits, then stupidity must have it's limits too."

That’s only logical, if you think about it and do the math…

(that's all I got today folks!) :)

you are probably right about stupidity having it's limit, i just haven't found mine yet.

Who ever makes the next post,... will be the first to find the limits of his own stupidity.

It appears that a great deal of the concern about forums is that they are populated by anonymous members and unaccredited experts. People that attack others from the comfort of anonymity, and those that give advice about topics that they really know nothing about. Those are two valid complaints. These people are mainly a problem for people that don't have much experince with forums, or with knives. If someone has been around forums and knives long enough, they learn to recognize the pseudo experts. Those that attack others without good reason tend to be brought down a few notches by other forum members.

I should qualify my comments by stating that I am referring to how things are handled on the knife forums that I frequent.

IMO, it would add credibility to forums if more used their real names. I understand there are good reasons why some don't, but then to it's much easier to verbally attack or insult someone or state a strong or controversial opinion if no one knows who you are.

i guess they ran out of air then.

Hi Dickie,

Since the topic of this thread is Carolyn Hughes' editorial, what are your thoughts on what she had to say?

In particular, do you agree with her generalized description of forum participants as clueless wannabe authorities?

Do you agree with her suggestion that the content of forums discussions is largely "garbage" which must be sifted through to locate the substance "if any is there"?

Do you believe that someone who states that they refuse "to read anything on any forum" has any credibility in making such statements?

Roger

Since the topic of this thread is Carolyn Hughes' editorial, what are your thoughts on what she had to say?

I am sure that she is a lovely lady.

In particular, do you agree with her generalized description of forum participants as clueless wannabe authorities?

How could she possibly know? Her psychic powers must be simply amazing.

Do you agree with her suggestion that the content of forums discussions is largely "garbage" which must be sifted through to locate the substance "if any is there"?

How could she possibly know? Her psychic powers must be simply amazing.

Do you believe that someone who states that they refuse "to read anything on any forum" has any credibility in making such statements?

No, none, zero, zip, nada. I don't believe in psychic powers. ;)

Roger,

I go away for a week and all heck breaks loose around here.

I took the liberty of answering your questions.

a clueless wannabe

Back