• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Number Ratings When Selling

Jarrett Voyzey

Gold Member
What are you thoughts on number ratings in sales posts? Are they helpful, deceptive, accurate, necessary, misleading, or good/bad?

I personally find them to be a tricky subject as a 9/10 for one person may be a 7/10 for someone else.

How do you go about evaluating a number rating? What qualifies a 5/10 or a 7/10 or maybe a 9/10?

To me personally a 5/10 would be a “heavy” user with some life left in it. It would have a lot of scratches everywhere including the blade. Been sharpened multiple times, and has dings/scuffs. Probably no box/docs and if so, most likely damaged in some way.

A 7/10 would be a “normal” user with maybe 1-2 good sharpenings, a few scratches here and there including the blade, and minimal scuffs/dings. Probably does include a box/docs with the purchase.

A 9/10 would be what I consider a “light” user. Factory edge, no large scratches anywhere although maybe some small snail trails on the handles/clip. (absolutely no scratches/scuffs on the blade), and no dings/scuffs. Essentially like new but carried a few times with light carry marks such as light snail trails etc. Box/docs included typically.

It's completely arbitrary. Why not actually describe the damage to the knife instead of a number that means nothing without any standard reference?

A number scale can be part of the equation, and is subjective. Good pictures, clear pictures and/or video of any wear or defects, and objective descriptions of the knife and what it’s been used for are other parts of the whole.

Take pictures that emphasize any wear or defects. If you know the edge has been re-profiled or sharpened quite a bit, then that should also be described.

It might not be a bad idea - a good first-level filter for used knife buyers. If somebody wants a light user and sees something less than 8/10, they wouldn’t need to waste their time looking any further. Of course it should still come with a good narrative of what kind of wear and tear the knife has seen, along with clear pictures. But, as has already been noted, it’s very subjective - one man’s light user could be another’s outside muddy garden beater.

I'd much rather rely on a good description and images...and a seller with a good reputation behind it all. Numbers are arbitrary.

Im also behind good descriptions of whats actually wrong with the knife, or not, over these number ratings.

The reason for my post is that I recently purchased a knife that was listed as “light carry, carried in slip sheath and cut maybe 5 amazon boxes”. The knife had a 9/10 rating.

Yet upon receiving it, it has scratches on both sides of the blade that were not disclosed before the sale. To me the scratches make that a 7/10 knife on the number scale.

So im after a consensus on these number ratings as this isnt the first time its been inaccurate. Its frustrating to deal with.

+1 on good, clear pictures. Also, I would suggest placing the knife on a table or counter top. I was looking at pictures on a post a couple of days ago. The actual knife was probably 1% of the frame with the sellers home and belongings making up the other 99% of the frame.

Im also behind good descriptions of whats actually wrong with the knife, or not, over these number ratings.

The reason for my post is that I recently purchased a knife that was listed as “light carry, carried in slip sheath and cut maybe 5 amazon boxes”. The knife had a 9/10 rating.

Yet upon receiving it, it has scratches on both sides of the blade that were not disclosed before the sale. To me the scratches make that a 7/10 knife on the number scale.

So im after a consensus on these number ratings as this isnt the first time its been inaccurate. Its frustrating to deal with.
I would never rely on a number rating alone for a used knife. Good pictures and objective descriptions are a must.

If you bought a knife here (or anywhere, really) that arrived with scratches on both sides, and the seller only described “light carry, carried in slip sheath and cut maybe 5 amazon boxes”, that would be a problem.

I would never rely on a number rating alone for a used knife. Good pictures and objective descriptions are a must.

If you bought a knife here (or anywhere, really) that arrived with scratches on both sides, and the seller only described “light carry, carried in slip sheath and cut maybe 5 amazon boxes”, that would be a problem.
It was on Facebook but it can happen anywhere. He had tons of vouches so I took his word for it. And the pics he had didnt look bad at all, its just the angle he took the picture at hid all the wear on the blade.

Not only that but he failed to mention them even when asked specifically about blade scratches.

Thats the frustrating part of the number ratings i think. Its one thing to say its 9/10 with blade scratches, thats your opinion while also giving the factual details along with it. The problems start when people leave out the factual information in addition to the number rating. And thats the frustrating part of it all.

It was on Facebook but it can happen anywhere. He had tons of vouches so I took his word for it. And the pics he had didnt look bad at all, its just the angle he took the picture at hid all the wear on the blade.

Not only that but he failed to mention them even when asked specifically about blade scratches.

Thats the frustrating part of the number ratings i think. Its one thing to say its 9/10 with blade scratches, thats your opinion while also giving the factual details along with it. The problems start when people leave out the factual information in addition to the number rating. And thats the frustrating part of it all.
Sounds like the problem was more with the seller being misleading than any number rating. Also agree number ratings are worthless, accurate and honest descriptions and full disclosure is all that really matters.

Sounds like the problem was more with the seller being misleading than any number rating. Also agree number ratings are worthless, accurate and honest descriptions and full disclosure is all that really matters.
Well, both times this happened to me they claimed they never knew the scratches were there. I just find that hard to believe that you're listing a knife for sale and fail to see what I view as obvious blemishes. They have to be looking over the blade, right? I see them as soon as I open the package 🤷‍♂️

The first one which happened last year was for an $1,800 knife, and it had scratches along the whole length of the show side of the blade. Then the second time, which is what made me post this, was for a $250ish knife with scratches on both sides of the blade. These aren't $50 beater knives that I could maybe see people not giving a shit about, these are expensive blades. Surely, I can't be in the minority when I say I look over these blades with a fine-tooth comb?

Why are some sellers so negligent? Doesn't make sense to me.

Well, both times this happened to me they claimed they never knew the scratches were there. I just find that hard to believe that you're listing a knife for sale and fail to see what I view as obvious blemishes. They have to be looking over the blade, right? I see them as soon as I open the package 🤷‍♂️

The first one which happened last year was for an $1,800 knife, and it had scratches along the whole length of the show side of the blade. Then the second time, which is what made me post this, was for a $250ish knife with scratches on both sides of the blade. These aren't $50 beater knives that I could maybe see people not giving a shit about, these are expensive blades. Surely, I can't be in the minority when I say I look over these blades with a fine-tooth comb?

As a disclosure, all My knives probably have scratches.....
😜

Numbers are far to objective. What one person considers 9/10 others may look at it as 6/10. And LNIB means nothing to me after seeing how many people use that nonclaimature. Give me an honest description with good pictures over numbers or initialisms that vary so much.

Best to give a good description and several clear well lighted pictures showing the condition. Highlight or close ups of flaws if needed.

Numbers are far to objective. What one person considers 9/10 others may look at it as 6/10. And LNIB means nothing to me after seeing how many people use that nonclaimature. Give me an honest description with good pictures over numbers or initialisms that vary so much.

Best to give a good description and several clear well lighted pictures showing the condition. Highlight or close ups of flaws if needed.
I 100% agree. Good description and great pictures go a long way.

I use to shop on instagram and ebay. Haven’t had any bad experiences but now I pretty much only follow this exchange for used knives. It’s been rock solid with great sellers and haven’t had a single problem.

Maybe slightly more reliable than people rating people based on their desirability as potential romantic partners.

I’ll show myself out.

This is just like the BNIB vs. LNIB debate. It's all opinion of the buyer and seller and at times never the twain shall meet.

Back