Obsolete Cartriges

Anybody got guns they can't shoot anymore? I've got my Grandmother's Remington 5MM Mag. Haven't made the ammo for years. Worse luck, its a rimfire so it can't even be reloaded. Once in a while you find a box for 50 or more bucks, but you don't feel like shooting it.

At least one company does make a conversion to .20 caliber centerfire, but that seems like a lot of work for something I want more for sentimental value than anything else. Wish it could have just been rebored to .22 magnum, but I guess that doesn't work.

I've a 38/55, not quite obsolete, but not frequent. And there's a 351 Self Loading rifle I'm tempted to buy.

I wonder if Ruger's 204 calibre be a possible rechamber for you?

munk

Wow Munk! A .351? Always wanted one when I was a kid. Cool! You should get it!

I have a .450 Webley. I have 2 boxes of kynoch ammo and some more recent Fiocchi (paid 36 bucks a box for) so I don't shoot that one much. It is a Webley Military and Police. Like a 2" Barrel.:thumbup:

What I really want would be the 40 cal but that's a pipe dream.
I've always had a hankering for a Webley too but never had one plop into my arms.
That's how guns are. Like people. You meet them on your path.

Yeah, the Self Loading would be cool. Prison guards used them. And if you don't mind shooting a deer with an anemic round, or shooting an anemic deer, you could do that too. (at close range)

munk

Hi Munk , Isn,t the 38/55 an old rifle cartridge ? didn,t John Wayne favour the 38/55 ? He had a winchester outfitted with an extra wide lever and trigger guard . It was featured in a couple of his films including True Grit . If I,m correct I think that cartridge was reintroduced and if so would also be relatively inexpensive . The only thing is that it is a premium nickel plated cartridge . It says The Duke around the primer hole . Don,t quote me on the specific cartridge sizes reintroduced . It might be worth looking into just the same .
Kevin

The 38/55 is an old black powder round known for target competition. Marlin has chambered them in their "Cowboy" lever series, I have one, and Winchester occasionally does a comenorative.

The 375 Winchester was a modern attempt to better the ballistics of this fine old round. You are not supposed to interchange the cartridges because of old rifles still around, but any modern lever built for the 38/55 can take more pressure than those of a hundred years ago.

You can still buy loaded ammo. It's quite anemic and pleasent to shoot. I load mine up a little. Yee Haa.

munk

Vell, I gots this Martini-Henry long-lever in 577-450, and the only way to "feed" it seems to be to load your own.

Wouldnt happen to be one of the ones from the Nepalese Armory they sell at AC, would it?:D

Boy, there's some nice interesting stuff here. We could have a khukri khonvention and everybody bring a gun nobody else has!

My Remington is a nice little gun, but it doesn't have any historical interest like some of yours, unless maybe you count it as one of the the first, unsuccessful ventures into high speed sub-.22 rounds like the .17.

I bet someone makes the brass or has a base case that can be formed.

munk

Closest I have to that is a model 99 in .250-3000 Savage. It's a slowly dying cartridge, but a good one none the less.

stevo

It was a really pristine Mannlicher Schoenauer 1910. It's really a 9.5x56 MM but those crazy brits didn't like the sound of metric calibers. I did a little research and found that it was going to be a strictly handloading type prospect and finding all the components would be a hassle.
The most obscure caliber I have is .300 Savage and it's still in production to a limited extent.

My grandpap gave me an octagonal barrel Winchester pump (1892?) in .22 Winchester Rimfire (WRF) It's a little longer than a .22LR and shorter than a .22 magnum. You can still get cartridges for it at the gunshows. Winchester makes a run every few years. It's an unbelieveably sweet little rifle with a flip up aperture sight mounted on the tang. The front site rotates and has 3 different beads; white, black and brass. Only thing I've ever shot with it was a rabid coon.

Steve

Steve, I'd just about forgotten that lost .22 you speak of. It's great to be reminded.
I like the rabid coon bit. When I got my Savage single shot in .22 mag the first thing I thought of was Coon Killer.

munk

cliff355 said:
Say, is that one of the ones from Atlanta Cutlery? I took a long look at those until I found out loading dies are $180 and brass is about a common as the bones of saints.

If you have figured out a cheap way to load for it please advise. Atlanta apparently still has quite a supply of them.

If you saw a picture of a long-lever in the Atlanta catalog, you know what this one looks like. I bought it from a pawn shop in Bedford, Ohio, twenty+ years ago. It came with the knife bayonet and scabbard. The leather sling and the wood are impressed with non-European script, so it was obviously issued to allied indig forces after the Lee-Metford came along. It was given good care. Rifling was in good shape.

I got dies from a guy in Canada and brass from someone else. Lead bullets came from a gun show. I fired it a half-dozen times. Very pricy to keep "fed." Kicks like the proverbial mule.

I have my late father's bringback Type 14 pistol in 8mm Nambu, and his Type 99 Rifle in 7.7 Japanese.

Noah

People make runs of old ammo. Check with Cabela`s.

Shann said:
Anybody got guns they can't shoot anymore? I've got my Grandmother's Remington 5MM Mag. Haven't made the ammo for years. Worse luck, its a rimfire so it can't even be reloaded. Once in a while you find a box for 50 or more bucks, but you don't feel like shooting it.

At least one company does make a conversion to .20 caliber centerfire, but that seems like a lot of work for something I want more for sentimental value than anything else. Wish it could have just been rebored to .22 magnum, but I guess that doesn't work.

Wayne shot a Win. Mod. 92 in 32-20.
The CASS can get you 38-55 ammo.

Kevin the grey said:
Hi Munk , Isn,t the 38/55 an old rifle cartridge ? didn,t John Wayne favour the 38/55 ? He had a winchester outfitted with an extra wide lever and trigger guard . It was featured in a couple of his films including True Grit . If I,m correct I think that cartridge was reintroduced and if so would also be relatively inexpensive . The only thing is that it is a premium nickel plated cartridge . It says The Duke around the primer hole . Don,t quote me on the specific cartridge sizes reintroduced . It might be worth looking into just the same .
Kevin

Back