October is not a good month for MS tests

Hello everyone. I thought I would follow Lin's lead and let you all know about my experience with the MS performance test. I performed it under the supervision of Mike Williams and did not pass, this time. The blade performed well in the cutting tests, but during the 2x4 chop a flake of steel popped off the side of the blade. A small bad weld pocket I think. We went ahead and bent it just because I wanted to see if the heat treating was on target. The blade which is 396 layers of 1080 and 15N20 went through the bend with no problems whatsoever. There were no cracks and a perfect bend.
I cannot say I was not disappointed, but it gave me some very good information and gives me six months to get the sucker dead on for next time. All in all a good learning experience and I want to say thank you to Mike for his support and instruction, also to Lin for his support ( We will get them next time). Also thanks to everyone at the hammer in for making it an enjoyable weekend none the less.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin
Anvil Top Custom Knives

Hello everyone. I thought I would follow Lin's lead and let you all know about my experience with the MS performance test. I performed it under the supervision of Mike Williams and did not pass, this time. The blade performed well in the cutting tests, but during the 2x4 chop a flake of steel popped off the side of the blade. A small bad weld pocket I think. We went ahead and bent it just because I wanted to see if the heat treating was on target. The blade which is 396 layers of 1080 and 15N20 went through the bend with no problems whatsoever. There were no cracks and a perfect bend.
I cannot say I was not disappointed, but it gave me some very good information and gives me six months to get the sucker dead on for next time. All in all a good learning experience and I want to say thank you to Mike for his support and instruction, also to Lin for his support ( We will get them next time). Also thanks to everyone at the hammer in for making it an enjoyable weekend none the less.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin
Anvil Top Custom Knives
Never give up!!!!
Good for you, I can't wait to hear about how it goes for next time!!:thumbup::thumbup:
I'm sure everyone on the board will be rooting for you(not to add any stress:D).

Never give up, never surrender. Life often presents these little detours. As long as you don't let them discourage you, it's all good.

Well it cut, and it cut, and it bent, but a little gremlin gotcha. Unfortunate, but at least you know the blade geometry and heat-treat were spot on, and that's what's important. I'm sure you'll nail it next time.

brion....i'm sure you will get it spot on next time.....by the way your fighters are wicked.....ryan

Sorry to hear about that Brion, but there are lot of positives to take away from the experience. I don't doubt you will nail it next time. Keep at it.

Roger

Hi Brion,

Don't let it get you down, I am sure that you will nail it next time.

Best Regards,

Craig

Brion's knife bent in a perfect arch. It was a very small flake. It was about the size of this smilie :eek: , which I just happened to pick from the list. The fact that is an embarassed face means nothing. :D

I'm sorry Brion, I had to do it! Call it tough love.

Guys, he did good and the flake was something that could happen to anybody. There was abosolutely no other damage to the blade. The test knife even LOOKED good. Brion took no shortcuts even though it was going to be distroyed. Brion and I have been joking around about the failures, but WE know that we are taking it very seriously. It just helps to get past the disappointment. You did good Brion. :thumbup:
Lin

Hey at least you guys had the guts to try.....Keep going you will pass it the next time.....I did pass my performance just before I got sick and ended up going past my time to judge so I will be testing again,bet you bot get yours done before I do mine again...

Good Luck,
Bruce

Lin and Brion
Sometimes having a little difficulty can be more beneficial than sailing through. Do you DRY WELD making your Damascus????

Chuck

Thank you all and believe me I am already planning the next test knife. I know you are too Lin and thanks for the Smiley, just could not resist Mr. water jug. Seriously Lin thanks for the support, we will get them in six. Again thank you everyone for the encouragement. And no Chuck flux was used, I think a little spot of flux may have gotten trapped and that may be what caused the problem, it definitely is a learning experience which is good.

Best regards

Brion

Give Dry welding a try. I rarely use flux any more. The welds are so clean you cannot see them under 100x magnification. i was convinced by Tom Ferry, and used it on my MS test knife.

Chuck

Thanks for the humility to post here and talk about your disappointment. :eek:

I look at it this way - that knife you made & tested, where the 'little flake' popped off, is still probably way better than a lot of the knives out there. Keep at it. There's always next year - we'll look forward to some good news . . .

thx - cpr

Chuck,
Do you have a discussion about the dry weld on Ed Caffrey's workshop forum? I've just discovered what a wealth of experience and information that is available there.

Very interesting. Thanks, Lin

Lin

I did describe it briefly. I can't tell you how much better it works for me. I did some mosaics that I cut loaf billets from the end. No problems at all. The final weld is so complete and tight. Normally you can see were the final weld was done, not in a dry weld. I don't want to hijack this thread or tell you all what to do. If you are interested in my process let me know and I will be happy to line it out for ya.

Chuck

Stressful test, pass or fail. You guys are mighty big to talk about it here :thumbup: Next time will be a breeze.

Dry welding is full proof but I do both.

Back