Recommendation? Odd play between open and closed positions on my new small 31 Sebenza.

Jacques Mi

Gold Member
About a month ago i got my first CRK, a small 32 Sebenza.
Out of the box, the action was very, very stiff albeit still with a smoothness to it.
From comments and recommendations I read here and elsewhere on the Internet I decided to let it break in for about a month before taking the blade out and apply the CRK lube. After a week or two of usage the action did get smoother - really nice actually.
I still stuck to my plan, waited just about two weeks more and then, by following Tims step-by-step video on Youtube, I took the blade out (just that, nothing else), applied lube and put it back together - all done carefully.
The action is smooth AF BUT there is an odd play now. When the blade is between open and closed position I can pull it a wee bit out or back and forth (the direction is illustrated in the picture). There is zero side-to-side play and everything is tight when the knife is open or closed apart from a minor degree of lock-rock.
Tightening the pivot takes care of the problem but then the action feels like it is dragging or stiff again. I've decided to keep it tightened until I hopefully get some sound advises from you guys here.

304844154_615404066820613_5639707858432929562_n (3).jpg

Last edited:
I have the exact same knife and by chance it’s in my pocket right now.

I thought “there’s no way this is actually happening to this guy” but sure enough when I do what you are describing in that position I can feel (not see) a little movement in the same direction.

It feels totally solid locked up so I’m not sure if this is because milling a perfectly round hole is really hard or if there’s a microscopic amount of play in the pivot and the detent ball is moving in and out of the track. Really odd.

The movement you are describing (if I understand correctly, which you are pretty clear about) is totally normal. When the blade is free in movement between locked and unlocked all my CRK's do that.

BTTLBRN BTTLBRN OK thanks for the reply - and the relief.
I couldn't find any info on this so I thought it was better to ask before I potentially ruined the knife or put it in a drawer for the fear of ruining it.

The movement you are describing (if I understand correctly, which you are pretty clear about) is totally normal. When the blade is free in movement between locked and unlocked all my CRK's do that.

Yup. This is correct. Nothing to worry about. :)

As long as there is no play in the open position…you are good to go! :)

A'ight, good news from the experts here 🤜💥🤛
A bit embarrassing that I missed those threads BTTLBRN linked to. Good reads though.
Thanks a bunch.

Just breath, it's ok, it's a pocket knife.
Put it in your pocket and cut stuff,

Repeat if necessary

I just noticed it on my large 31 the other day when checking for lateral play to see if i needed to tighten the screw. No big deal. Grease wouldn't have a place to sit if there wasn't space and any bit of miniscule debris would lock the pivot up.

Back