OK I have to ask !

I have an old Elinox Pioneer and recently bought a new ALOX Farmer because I wanted the saw .

What I want to know is WHY are the silver ALOX Farmers around $40 and a red , orange , green or black one is like $140 ! It's PAINT , how much can it cost ?

It not the cost of the "paint" it's the rarity. Look up an old elinox on the auction site, I bet they go for way more than what you paid for yours, again due to rarity. I can sympathize with you because I also get frustrated with the prices of the different color alox but it's just a fact of life. You can get a black alox pioneer for around $27 but again it's because it's not that rare. Or become a resident of S. Africa and you can get almost any color of the rainbow there for standard prices.

The models that are in a regular production by Victorinox (silver Pioneers and Farmers, red and black Pioneers) retail for anywhere from $30-$50. Swiss Bianco special 100-piece runs have added costs, both in manufacturing (anodizing baths and small run assembly) and shipping/distribution. As a result, the typical Swiss Bianco Pioneer/Farmer price is $65-80. The older runs tend to accumulate "collector" premium and some pieces from 50-piece numbered runs were selling for $300+, presumably to people looking to fill a gap in their collection.

Thanks for the information guys . Yeah that clears it up if the colored ones are small sprint runs and therefore more rare .

I don't even remember where I got my old Elinox , but it was either a flea market or yard sale and I paid only a couple of dollars for it . That was probably 20 years ago though lol . I sure wish it was a Farmer though :(

i also want to add that the paint is an anodising and way different and higher price. second some few bad dealers outsell sak to low prices below mrsp, we dont do that as it hurts the factory in the long run.

OH, hey I was not pointing at Swissbianco . That's NOT what I meant at all . I saw those huge price differences on the big auction site actually and I did realize it was not actually "paint" I just said paint meaning color .

Although I have had my old Elinox for many years , I'm actually new to shopping for Victorinox knives and was not aware that they did those small runs of special knives .Which of course does drive up the price as the demand exceeds the supply .

It's all good . I'm find with the plain silver finish as my knives are working knives anyway .

I feel your pain. I would love to have a apocalypse green or midnight silver Cadet but it's hard to justify paying so much more for it. I understand supply/demand and am not saying they aren't worth it. Just saying it does prevent me from buying one.

i remember the times back then as i was hardly able to buy used second hand sak. with some rework/fix/cleaning they did work again well and we did not have much any special color alox back then until it was possible to create some and now i can collect these as well. there is an time for most everything in life.

Back