OK Rumor is no longer - There will be a Microtech Bali-Song and I am the mystery man

I have had this idea for several years now and now it will become a reality and who better to make it come true than the guys at Microtech and Tony in particular.

So guys here is the deal. I will be at Microtech on Wednesday and although Tony and I already have several designs and cool things in the works, you do have input here and I want this to be the official thread to do it in. So if you can, please let the other guys on the other forums know as well and post a link here to get their ideas in.

Here are my ideas for whatever design Tony and I do. But keep in mind they may all change if we can not get it to market at the price point I need it to be at.

• Must be under $200 for the standard model
  • All designs will have USER replaceable blades meaning that you can switch out a Tanto for a Double edge at will
  • I love the Nemisis blade style and the symmetry on Bali-Song version is a must for a double edge
    smile.gif
  • A utility blade like the HALO II is in my mind
  • This will NOT be a ME TOO butterfly, you can bet your ass on that!
  • Idealy I want the user to also be able to replace handle inserts, ie.. CF, BL Pearl, Micarta or whatever we want to make as inserts down the road to change the look of your knife (Remember the STEALTH Cheyenne I did with JB?)
  • Now for the latch, this is my pet peeve so Tony and I will come up with some sort of way to get around the latch if we can. Ideally I want a latchless design that still lock into place with minimal effort to release. This will be our largest obstacle and may not be feasible at the price point I want to hit.

So now that the big cat is out of the bag, let me hear your ideas!

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
Show Your Support -Visit Our Sponsors - Click On The Banners!
Visit www.onestopknifeshop.com
Sales from 1 Stop Knife Shop help support this site!

[This message has been edited by Mike Turber (edited 04-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Turber (edited 04-01-2001).]

Why not just make the latch removable/reversable? That way you can have it on either side or not at all. That's the way I'd do it.

------------------
Bleeding, it's a hobby of mine.

Please no replaceable blades, handles or inserts. The balisong is very simple and by applying replaceable parts may complicate its function.

The latchless idea with some sort of auto release would be awesome.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Mike for keeping us in the loop.
smile.gif

Yep already a part of my master plan and a great idea.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber

Holy geez that sounds awesome! I can think of a few solutions for the latch problem, each with their own problems. First is magnets. Cheap, reliable, simple. Not sure if they would tend to stick to each other during manipulation though. Second is something with a cam, similar to on the Kershaw Random Task (though not as strong). This might be expensive. Third is to have a slight projection on one handle with a matching indentation on the other and some sort of lock releasable by squeezing the handles (maybe a slight offset of the project that fits into a dent on the other handle, much like an external ball-bearing detent). This might get in the way of manipulation, depending on how obtrusive the projection on one handle is. Anyway, this sounds like an awesome project, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

The reason I want the replaceable blades is simple, after you own your knife for a while you can replace the blades as your taste changes. Same thing on the scales. When you see my design for this you will see it is actually simple and retains the basic functionality of the knife with classic lines
smile.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber

The 3rd idea you have Burke is closest to mine. I was thinking of a protrusion with a Omega spring catch. Meaning you can simply give a slight push to "lock" or "unlock" the knife. I can;t get into details as many of our (Tony's and Mine) will need to be patented. So a bit of this project must remain Hush Hush.

We are listening though
smile.gif

Also please no graphic designs or pics of your idea in this thread. I will let you know if your idea is in the works or not.

The magnet idea will not work but it was one of my origianl solutions
smile.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber

It's great to finally find out who's behind the creation of the Microtech Balisong. Are you handling the production model(s) balisong(s), just the custom runs, or both?

I like the idea of having the standard model being under $200, but I really hate the idea of having interchangable blades and inserts. I don't want to offend whoever thought of the idea, but I would rather buy another balisong than just changing the blade on one. Plus a 'fixed' balisong would be stronger than one you would constantly take apart. The only thing I would want interchangable would be the latch, although only for replacing, not for changing latch styles (batangas or manila).

A utility blade is good... can we get them in fully serrated also
biggrin.gif
?

I like your last idea about getting around the latch; should be interesting.

Also, Mike, there have been a couple of ideas shared on the Microtech Forum over on knifeforums.com... You might want to quick take a gander.

-Kent

I am looking at all ideas and will take everything into consideration.

Funny how guys think they know the behind the scene issues that are involved in this project. Only Tony and I and a select few know the truth.

I will post more about the other issues once I have the final documentation in hand. But a quick note to those who think I am the one who nearly put MT out of business. That is simply not the case. Did I have the opportunity to do so? Perhaps.

But the good news is that good has come from what has transpired and YOU all will benefit. The Amphibian is now closer to what you want, the fixed blade Lighfoot is dead for now as is the CC knife. Other projects are now in the works that WILL work and WILL help keeps things alive.

I will be handling ALL Bali-Song knives that come out of Microtech. As of May 1st I will no longer own 1SKS or BFC so I can concentrate on future projects. All dealers are welcome to place orders and you will be able to buy a MT Bali-Song from your favorite dealers.

All dealers interested in this project should send an email to mtbailisong@wowinc.com and I will get you info as it becomes available.

Sit back and enjoy the show
smile.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber

well I personally would want to see interchangeable blades, as long as it wouldn't make deteriorate (cant think of another word) the integrity of the knife. which it most likely would
tongue.gif

and I'm also all for interchangeable inserts, but that could also become more of an annoyance.

as for the the removable latch idea, I think that'd be really cool. IF it could be done

I like the changable blade idea. Offer them seperately, and at a reduced price package.
Utility,deep bowie,tanto,weehawk,double edge,
removable/reversable latch.
Inserts-replacable or not-I have no interest!
3" 4" and 5" models
I'll have a Kris blade and a high hollow for my knifes.
If you use removable bolt/nuts to replace the blades, use a bronze type insert.
Then make them avaliable in different thicknesses so we(shim) can keep it tight.

Place me on the list, I'll place a dealer order on these. Send me the details.

[This message has been edited by 1whobuys (edited 04-01-2001).]

PLEASE, No AUTO UNLATCHING!!! It's hard enough to get around the Swithblade laws with a regular bali, if you add some way to Auto open/pop/unlatch it you'll make it almost impossible to argue it's not a switchblade.

I kinda like the interchangable parts idea. I'd try to match the inserts to my clothing to make it easier to conceal and I'd change the blade depending on whether I was going to work (combo utility), going into a bad area (High Hollow), or just my normal day (Tanto). But I agree that I wouldn't want it to be so complex that it interferes.

I always though an indent cut into one sie of the handle the same size and shape as a nut would be a great way to make removable blades. Just slip the pivot pin through the hole in the blade and thread it into the nut.

Excellent! I will take several. Keeping it simple is the most feasible way of minimizing the development and manufacturing costs. Different blade styles are great, as well as, dovetailed handle frames to accept the handle inserts. For a "trick" latch mechanism check out the 1908 Billings & Spencer knife patent. It has a spring loaded latch gate. Very secure latch. Also, it has knurled steel handles.

What is tentative/preliminary project schedule?

how about a latch catch?*(didnt mean to make that rhyme)
ya know,so the latch will not flip backwards and hit the blade...
just my .02

One thing I can say is to make the design unique. I would be disapointed to see a bali that looks just like all the others. I do like th interchangeable blade and handle idea though. It would be diffuclt to make a design that does not deteriorate the knife. Though my tastes are very fickle sometimes and a changable blade would be neat.

------------------
I have a sword in my pocket!

I gotta quit drinking. I know this thread is dancing with the pink elephants on my computer screen. Say it aint so.

Regards,

Tom Carey

While I can envision a couple of relatively easy ways to have the interchangable blade, and still retain good solidity, I'm at a loss as to how you'd do it with inserts. It seems to me they would be noisier and less impact resistant than permanently attached inserts.

Still, can't wait to see what you come up with!

------------------
'Scuse me while I flip this out ...

I for one have no interest in interchangable blades and definitely see no reason to want to buy a knife with interchangable handle inserts (I prefer skeletonized handles anyway).

Going back to the latch idea Burke mentioned: His idea is the bite handle having protrusions on both sides of the handle and the safe handle having indentions that accept these protrusions.

How about this for a way to lock the handles: first, the protrusions on the bite handle have cavities drilled into them from the pivot side of the handle toward the butt of the handle. Second, on the safe handle with the indentions, you have a pair of rods that can be shifted down into the indentions into the cavities I described to thus lock the handles opened or closed. The rods would be conected to a shaft that runs up the handle and terminates at an exterior slide (like the safty on an italian stilleto). To complicate things more, you could have this shaft connected to two slides, one near the pivots and one near the butt for unlocking it in the forehand or backhand grip. Sounds cool, I just dont think the standard model would have this system...
smile.gif

------------------
"I see you played knifie spoonie before..."

The disign I have in mind will have both skeletonized handles with inserts. How did I do this? Hummm... You will have to see
smile.gif
But it is up to Tony to determine if we can do this and stay in the target price range.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber

Back