• Sheath:Nylon
  • Knife Type:Fixed Blade
  • Brand:Ontario Knife Company
  • Model:Spec Plus Alpha Survival
  • Model Number:9710
  • Country of Origin:USA
  • Best Use:Camp/Hike, Tactical
  • Product Type:Knife
It drives me crazy at times if I can't find the specs on a new knife.

We've found that 1074/1075 is almost identical to 1095, except it doesn't rust as easily and isn't as prone to chipping. The cost savings was nice, too, and was a factor in how we got these knives to have MSRPs in the $40s while being made in the USA.

NIFE-X,

Thanks for the nice review on both the Spec Plus Alpha and the Hunt Plus knives. We chose materials and processes that would offer both great performance AND excellent value.
While some of the features that one would expect from a Toooj knife are missing due to cost considerations, we put the essentials in each of the patterns. We also know that many of you will dress up and upgrade the knife and sheath to your own individual liking.
Like OKC Mod says: Made in the USA and an MSRP in the $40s.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Ordered a Spec-A Machete because it looks like a good light choppy chisely tool. Chisels can be handy.

Perfect for toss in pack or other place and looks nice and light for work.

I saw a review in "Knives illustrated" magazine. Not a well written review IMO but still I bought the magazine. Gonna have to buy the knife also.
Edit: I bought it, should be here Friday.

Last edited:
The Spec-A machete is nice and light and lively in the hand. That video says about all about it.

Handle SEEMS weak and chincy but really its rubber over steel! It should work nice...look at that video!

Just received my Spec Plus Alpha knife last week.
Bottom line- probably the best deal in a USA made knife of tough steel, a serviceable sheath, and came with a hair popping edge right from the factory.

Recommended.

Just received my Spec Plus Alpha knife last week.
Bottom line- probably the best deal in a USA made knife of tough steel, a serviceable sheath, and came with a hair popping edge right from the factory.

Recommended.
Hair popping sharp? I agree with everything you said but that. Mine wasn't even close to popping. Still overall very nice.

Mine was... looks like it was based off the old GI survival knife-- so I didn't have much expectation for it to be THAT sharp, but it was- quite the surprise.

I also try to keep my blades sharp by running them over a hone made of an old leather belt and some lapping compound to repair any micro-dings on the edges after using them. This knife will get that treatment.

Back