Old Griptilian in 440c, any other differences

wolverine_173

BANNED
Just got my first benchmade. Its an older griptilian model 551 with a 440c blade. First question, are there any other differences other than the steel between the old 551 and the new?

and how does 440C compare to 154cm?

here is a look at the knife next to my Kershaw Blur

[video=youtube;ORb89exXPT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORb89exXPT8[/video]

As far as I know, the only other differences between the early (440C) Grips, and the later versions is, the early knives that were colored were painted. The later versions have the color molded into the scales... The pocket clip logo is also different. The early clips are marked Benchmade USA. and the later versions dropped the USA and just say Benchmade.

I bought a Mini Grip in 440C right after they came out. I carried it every day and used it hard for a few years. It held up very well. It would take a very good edge, and keep it for a decent amount of time.
I picked up a couple more, and have been carrying one of them for probably six months now.

Personally I haven't noticed any real difference between the 440C, and the 154. But in all fairness, I've used 440C more than their 154

440c is a good steel. It gets tossed to the back with all the modern super steels but the average user won't notice. I had a mini Presidio in 440 and it was good. I don't think 154cm is that great compared to 440c. I usually like to get benchmades in their D2. That steel I love.

Condition would dictate. No more than a newer one with upgraded steel I'd guess. It may be worth more in the future as less of them are around but thats a stretch. If you'd rather have a different steel just send it in and I'm sure they will replace it with 154cm or even D2 if you want to pay the charge for a new blade. It's around $30 I think. Show us a pic if you can.

Not the 551 but the 550 and 555.

They first came out with 440C blades with the oval hole. Around 2006 they changed to 154CM and still kept the oval hole. In 2007 they changed to the current round hole. So an oval hole in 154CM is slightly more rare.

I have a 550 grip in 440C. I bought it in 2004 I believe. It has the round lanyard hole, and the color is molded into the plastic, not painted on. The 440C is fine, and BM does a good heat treat on it.

To me bm 440c is a little softer than there 154cm, but not as to be readily noticeable.

Back