Old Style tin (can) Opener

How do you use the old style Tin opener like on the 1940's era Case camp/utility knife?
Pics would be greatly appreciated.

The one that looks like a pointy bottle opener?

The smaller (lower) hook goes under the outside rim, the larger (upper) hook goes over the rim on the top of the can. Use the lower rim to get leverage to pierce the can and continue to walk it backwards until can is open. Clear as mud? - Sorry, no pictures...

BTW, how the heck do the Victorinox can openers work?

mb

It's also possible to use the Vic can opener in the other direction.

How is this style of can opener used?

rr533.jpg

I think that is only a bottle opener/screwdriver. I see no way to open cans...unless you want to use the awl or blades.

This video demonstrates using both styles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTGFPLq_plo
Though when I open cans with a vic I usually just push without the rocking motion.

Last edited:
It's also possible to use the Vic can opener in the other direction.

How is this style of can opener used?

rr533.jpg

You start by punching a hole in the top of the can near the rim, then cut upwards, resting the pin on the can rim (using it as a pivot point) and pushing the handle down, working counter-clockwise.

The concept of the old claw-style opener is similar (cutting lid from the inside) , except you lift the handle to cut, rather than push down, as with the above.

The Victorinox can opener is a hundred times quicker and easier than any thing else I've used. Once you get good at it you can even beat the electric can openers.

I was replying to ChapmanPreferred....
I know exactly the type you are referring to and their use has puzzled me as well. The handle can only be moved one way, or else the can opener will fold shut. I believe that holding the knife in the same grip you use with a Vic can opener, you puncture with the tip of the hook-thingy in an almost verticle move and almost fully insert the tip while moving the point forwards so now the tip is within the can and the square piece is on top, the knife handle is almost horizontal. Then rest the square piece on the top lip of the can and pull upwards on the handle. That should cut the piece of can that is between the hook and the square piece. Then proceed forwards around the can. Course I've never tried one of these, just thinking about the design how it's probably used.
adam

I was replying to ChapmanPreferred....
I know exactly the type you are referring to and their use has puzzled me as well. The handle can only be moved one way, or else the can opener will fold shut. I believe that holding the knife in the same grip you use with a Vic can opener, you puncture with the tip of the hook-thingy in an almost verticle move and almost fully insert the tip while moving the point forwards so now the tip is within the can and the square piece is on top, the knife handle is almost horizontal. Then rest the square piece on the top lip of the can and pull upwards on the handle. That should cut the piece of can that is between the hook and the square piece. Then proceed forwards around the can. Course I've never tried one of these, just thinking about the design how it's probably used.
adam

This is where being a lefty helps. 1st. hold the point vertical & push straight down. 2nd hold the knife SPRING-SIDE DOWN (in you left hand). 3 lift & advance then repeat.
You cut upward thru the can not down ward. The hooked end on the opener wasn't for cans but for struck rifle cartridges (in fact Remington patented it as such).
think it's easier to use than the beak style or Vic SAK style, but I've been told I'm odd.

This is where being a lefty helps. 1st. hold the point vertical & push straight down. 2nd hold the knife SPRING-SIDE DOWN (in you left hand). 3 lift & advance then repeat.
You cut upward thru the can not down ward. The hooked end on the opener wasn't for cans but for struck rifle cartridges (in fact Remington patented it as such).
think it's easier to use than the beak style or Vic SAK style, but I've been told I'm odd.

And the square part sits on the top ridge of the can and acts as a fulcrum?

That's interesting about the stuck cartridge. I guess back then it probably happened often though it never has to me with anything but a .22LR. Must have been a bunch of broken or bent knife tips trying to dig out the centerfire ones.

adam

The Mirando 1945 "safety" opener and the Victorinox opener both cut the can lid by moving from topside to bottomside, but the Mirando opener is pulled backward for the next cut, while the Victorinox is pushed forward. The Rough Rider opener cuts from bottomside (inside) to topside (outside), by pushing the handle down. It is then pushed forward for the next cut. Note that these blades are all hinged in a way that allows the handle to exert force on the blade, without folding. I wish the Rough Rider opener was a safety opener; upward cutting blades create dangerously sharp edges sticking up from the can lid. The recently re-introduced Remington boy-scout knife also has a nostalgia blade that is more dangerous than it needs to be.

The Mirando 1945 "safety" opener and the Victorinox opener both cut the can lid by moving from topside to bottomside, but the Mirando opener is pulled backward for the next cut, while the Victorinox is pushed forward. The Rough Rider opener cuts from bottomside (inside) to topside (outside), by pushing the handle down. It is then pushed forward for the next cut. Note that these blades are all hinged in a way that allows the handle to exert force on the blade, without folding. I wish the Rough Rider opener was a safety opener; upward cutting blades create dangerously sharp edges sticking up from the can lid. The recently re-introduced Remington boy-scout knife also has a nostalgia blade that is more dangerous than it needs to be.

Not really if you pull up on the blade it produces a curved edge rather than a waffly looking one.

little side note. on the leatherman pull style can openers, what I do a lot is I'll sharpen them up a bit cause one thing I do is I'll cut the top off a soda can so I can spit in it.

good info here guys, thanks.
I actually use another technique for opening cans with the victorinox can opener which is backwards.. the earlier vid here showed forward motion but I dislike that cause I feel that I might slip forward and cut myself. It's also the same kind of movement I use for leatherman style openers.

Here's a video showing the process (not mine): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv8uFrqqWPk&feature=related

Back