Old Timer 8OT question. (sorry ☹️)

afishhunter

Gold Member
Was the pre-2004 Old Timer 8OT ever a standard production model with ""Schrade +" blades, or was it always equipped with 1095 Carbon Steel blades?

I believe that a number of Old Timer patterns that had always been non-stainless steel were manufactured in the very late period of Imperial Schrade with stainless blades but were not marked with a plus sign in the tang stamp. The company by that time no longer carried non-stainless steel stock. I know for a fact that the 51OT and the 858OT knives from this late period had stainless blades but were not marked with a plus sign. As for the 8OT, I do not know and have never owned a very late manufacture example.

I had a 34OT that wasn’t marked with a plus sign but was definitely stainless blades. I can’t remember if the back springs were stainless or not. I’ve never seen a stainless bladed 8OT plus stamped or not but finding one wouldn’t surprise me.

I know for a fact that the 51OT and the 858OT knives from this late period had stainless blades
I thought the 858 was only made for 6 years; 1978 to 1984 ('85 for the 858 that came with a sheath. 858OTS?)
Mine has "Schrade +", but does not have "OT" on/in the tang stamp. Just "858".

I believe the 858 was always "Schrade +".
I've asked in this thread ... no one has seen an 858 that could take a patina.

Back