Old Town Canoe

What are your thoughts or experiences with an Old Town Discovery 119 Solo Canoe.

Any thoughts, likes , or dislikes? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I must admit to being a Canoe snob, but IMO, it's a dog. Oldtown was a great company when wood-n-canvas were popular. For some time now they have aimed at the bottom end of the spectrum and make their money in volume. There are much better hulls out there, but then again if you're using it once a year or it's for the kids to play with at the lake, you won't be out much and it'll get the job done.
It is a slow, heavy, un-responsive hull.

I have an Old Town Pack which is similar in size but quite a bit lighter than the 119. I love the Pack but have no experience with the 119. The Pack weighs 33lbs. and is very easy to carry. I usually use a kayak paddle. It's easier to get in and out of than a kayak. The cane seat is raised off the floor so your butt stays dry.

Too much beam for its length. Other than sitting in small ponds, it serves other purposes poorly. If you want an Old Town solo boat, look for a used Penobscot 15, but it was such an excellent canoe few owners ever part with them. Mine is 24 years old now. I'll not part with it even though I've bought other boats.

I had an Old Town Rushton in the 70's, great for ponds. Weighed about 20 pounds. IIRC it was 10 feet or so. No seat, just a pad for the knees.

Back