Old tradition about giving knives as a gift

The movie "The Edge" has a scene where a coin is given in return for a knife. I can't remember if they gave an explanation in it.

Mikjk said:
wow, the tradition of giving a coin is pretty wide spread! crosses all cultural boundries it seems. i too would be interested in exactly where this tradition started.

Agreed. I'm an anglo hillbilly with a degree and a library card, and I follow the same tradition for the same reason. I've "sold" $300 knives to my father-in-law for $.01. He has yet to cut himself with any of my knives, and our bond is as strong as ever. It's a fun tradition that my grandfather instilled in me when I was a kid.

John...

As I've heard it, one version descends from the Celtic tradition- a knife's edge severs the friendship unless the edge is blocked by a coin.

Heck, I always pay for gift knives with Indian-head pennies, or some other old coinage. My Tinker was paid for with a 1903 Indian, my AGR Scout with a 1944 Walker half, and my Q toothpick landed in my pocket in exchange for a 1912 Barber quarter. Weird, I know, but fun. :)

Another knife legend I've heard that's supposedly chinese or japanese in nature...

if a superior gives you a knife, you're supposed to go commit sepuko (sp?) with it... where as the coin in exhange makes it a purchase and perfectly safe to own.

Sword and Shield said:
As I've heard it, one version descends from the Celtic tradition- a knife's edge severs the friendship unless the edge is blocked by a coin.

This is what we believe.tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure. Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's cell..

I was unaware of this tradition/superstition.

I just gave three knives away in a GAW. Where are my coins boys??? :D I don't want you gentleman to cut yourselves.

I was unaware of this tradition/superstition.

I just gave three knives away in a GAW. Where are my coins boys??? :D I don't want you gentleman to cut yourselves.

Yeah, I've thought of this superstition as regards giveaways here.

I'm not particularly superstitious but I always give a penny with a knife to be given back to me. It's a nice thought anyway, not wanting to sever the friendship.

My aunt also told me about giving a penny, or any coin i suppose, not to cut the ties of friendship when giving a knife as a gift

In the Jewish tradition, if you give a knife as a gift the giver is supposed to include a small coin to show goodwill...

A coin. Apparently a centuries old superstition from the Eastern Hemisphere. Giving a penny or other coin in return for a gifted knife ensures the relationship won't be severed. Not really seen much in the Western hemisphere. Must knife nuts don't even know about it.

In the Jewish tradition, if you give a knife as a gift the giver is supposed to include a small coin to show goodwill...
In the East the giver may actually tape a coin to the knife for the receiver to return to him.

I've never practiced the superstition in receiving a knife or expected it when giving a knife.

Last edited:
I know of this custom too. My mother, here in The Netherlands, gave me my grandmothers knife but insisted I gave her a coin back. Not completely in earnest, I think, but the custom is known.

Another knife legend I've heard that's supposedly chinese or japanese in nature...

if a superior gives you a knife, you're supposed to go commit sepuko (sp?) with it... where as the coin in exhange makes it a purchase and perfectly safe to own.

My wife, who is japanese, explained it to me as this. By placing a coin on the blade of a knife, it is considered a gift. Whereas if someone were to give you a knife with no coin, you were expected to take your own life with said knife.

She is second generation, so something may have been lost in translation...

I think the Scandinavians have the right idea:

A gift of a knife is the gift of life and protection. There is no need to counter gift for any reason. The giver is giving a most powerful gift possible.

Ontario Kitchen knife sets come with a penny and the explanation of the coins inclusion on a "business" card.

The coin motif seems fairly wide-spread. But here's another one you may not have heard of: A husband and wife (or boyfriend and girlfriend, or fiance and fiance) are never supposed to give each other knives (of any kind) for the same gift-giving occasion - even if done in different years. For example, he gives her a kitchen cleaver for X-mas one year, and she gives him a pocket knife for X-mas the next year -- this is supposed to bring bad luck to the relationship.

My better half learned this growing up in Romania, and I had never heard it until out anniversary last week (of course, I asked for a knife!) -- but apparently (women remember this stuff, guys generally don't), I gifted her one of her fancy kitchen knives for our anniversary last year, so she did not want to get me a knife for our anniversary this year. One more thing to keep track of!

As I understand it, superstition states that you should give someone a coin when they give you a knife. I've heard two reasons for this. The first says that it is to ensure that the knife doesn't cut the owner; the second reason, which I've heard more often, is that it is to ensure that the knife does not cut the friendship between the giver and the recipient.

I'm not sure of the origin of this superstition, and I'd love to know.

All the best,

Mike

Interesting, a lot of people seem to know of this but I have not heard it until now. I guess I am still trying to grasp the concept of how the coin is supposed to prevent either of these things. but good to know of this. if I ever get a knife as a gift I will be sure to give a coin.

This tradition was taught to me as a young boy, as well, from my father's side ( southern United States ).
There is a newer one that goes like this; "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight".

Back