Older and Newer Marauder. Some things different for the better it seems.

OK Just got my stone washed Marauder, me for one I dislike the "Finish" on it, but that's just me. To scrape up a knife for no reason to me don't seem to click in my head, but that's just my mental mentality.

I noticed the the older mirror polished Marauder has a larger and wider metal volume beneath the blade going in to the tang as the stone scraped Marauder has a less metal going in to the tang. But I think they know what they were doing when doing this doing they did when they doing it as they did.

Another difference is the scraped finish Marauder seems to have a SABER GRIND! I think I found my new "Light" (Weight wise) large carry knife for the wilderhood! I trust in the manufacturer to put the proper heat treat in their products, but this grind on this knife has moved it up in my opinion to be able to do even heavier tasks with in reason. Stone or Hard Bone on blade is still a no no for me, well unless I really needed to get in to a bone.

The Clip Points are nice and strong the way they made them, the flat back of the spine running on the clip point really makes the CS Marauder really strong for a lot of use. (The Hollow grind on my first one made me hold back a bit as I didn't want to chunk it out with real heavy use.) They sure knew what they were doing making this nice heavenly hunk of steel. I'm not sharpening the swedge as I live in an "EVIL DAGGER!" state.

The newer Marauder Blade looks like it can be used for a Bowie as intended in the wilderness task area. Fighting...well not so much as the handle don't seem to be good for that, but it does keep your grip secure when doing other things/tasks/critterstickingstabbingtodeath.

But the "newer" CS Marauder is a dang great knife! I'm going to have to get another one now!

My older CS Marauder is still going to be doing its usual tasks but now more regulated to the "lighter" tasks such as large critter cutting its a favorite as the cutters seems to like when cutting meat in to chunks or getting them tendons cut. Its also a great for the food related camping tasks from raw process to final fine cutting of the final food meal that was made. It will still do its same light-medium...(what I call medium people call hard) tasks, but I want to save this older knife for its fine performance cutting it can do with its hollow grind.

If they gave the "newer" CS Marauder a full sized tang (non rat tail) with an exposed hilt and micrata or another form of handle...well one can only dream at times.

Other things I missed, people please post them as well.

Yep I ordered another one. Had to use it to cut the branches to clear for the saw and axe to clear some trees on the road. Saber Grind did its usual heavy durability and stayed sharp.

Got the second CS Maurder (my third, second "newer" on to me that is) toady! There I have some nice all weather and water based wildering blades.

From some Tacti-Testing on my property I found the more front heavy of the "newer" CS Maruader is better for evil limb and tree cutting, and yes even LIVE TREES! They lean on the old farm house THEY DIE! (Odd how people whine about cutting a live plant, then they mow their lawn) The older Maruder design was more fit for whittling meat off bones of bunnies and game birdies.

The Bowie pattern of these two Marauders are very handy, they keep a long useful blade with a nice belly curve to enhance its performance and the straight spine to the tip makes it useful for batoning, also being in an "EVIL DAGGER!" state lets me take it off my property. Well I used it for light and medium batoning just to test it with the "newer" model with the saber grind. It sure is a good distribution and postioning of metal in the bowie pattern making it very useful. The sheath also makes it safer and easier to carry in wintery conditions where its to easy to fall in the rough waist deep snow, and being stainless steel you don't have to worry about wiping it down every stop and then realize your sheath is wet any ways. I wish they had it in the original non scratched up finish....er stone wash. But that's just me.

Been thinking of cutting the top hilt off my older CS model for the ease of meat whittling season.

The CS Marauder isn't an all use heavy knife, I got OKC 5160s for those, but its going to see more use than my BKs I think because its a swiss army blade that can do many tasks you ask of it, and its SS as well for less field maintenace in the field. Its a good camp knife and food prep knife it seems.

Oh yes it would. But their current "Sub-Hilt" handle probably keeps it affordable for every one. I'm just glad I got now 2 of the saber grind versions that I can use out side this winter and not worry to much about them getting rusty. Nice and light to carry with a very SAFE sheath that's near idiot proof, good to have when very cold and wet in the winter to have. And yet can step up to do heavier jobs when needed, its curved blade makes cutting things easier, it does big blade jobs very useful. The CS Marauder has replaced the BK9 in my winter gear pack and usually rides on the belt with the Strong Arm where the other bigger blades I have usually goes on the pack with its Sheath that's great to carry with out worrying it might get through the sheath if you fall in broken snow covered ground. Its proving to be a great winter "big blade" for me. In the summer in case the canoe goes over, it can ride my belt and be probably a main survival tool if some one didn't strap the packs to the gunnel of the canoe.

Oh yes it would. But their current "Sub-Hilt" handle probably keeps it affordable for every one. I'm just glad I got now 2 of the saber grind versions that I can use out side this winter and not worry to much about them getting rusty. Nice and light to carry with a very SAFE sheath that's near idiot proof, good to have when very cold and wet in the winter to have. And yet can step up to do heavier jobs when needed, its curved blade makes cutting things easier, it does big blade jobs very useful. The CS Marauder has replaced the BK9 in my winter gear pack and usually rides on the belt with the Strong Arm where the other bigger blades I have usually goes on the pack with its Sheath that's great to carry with out worrying it might get through the sheath if you fall in broken snow covered ground. Its proving to be a great winter "big blade" for me. In the summer in case the canoe goes over, it can ride my belt and be probably a main survival tool if some one didn't strap the packs to the gunnel of the canoe.

OK...I think I like this knife to much, I thought I had it in my car, and I thought some one stole, but to be sure I ripped apart my car for a long while looking for it. I came in fuming about to order another one, when I found it right where I left it this morning...

Guess maybe I should order another one any ways?

Can you guys confirm that the new stonewash version is a flat or saber grind? The hollow grind was the reason I never bought this knife in the past. If it actually has a flat or saber grind, I'm going to buy it for my SUV tailgate as an emergency knife that won't rust.

Saber Grind. Older Non Stone Wash was Hollow Grind.

I think a 420HC might be a bit tougher for a larger blade.

Saber Grind. Older Non Stone Wash was Hollow Grind.

I think a 420HC might be a bit tougher for a larger blade.
Thanks. Is it actually a saber grind, or a flat grind? I don't care either way. Flat grind is good for me. I just don't like hollow ground knives for anything but hunting.

I use my first one for camp food processioning as its about the only reason I find a Hollow Grind useful. Along with my OKC Woodsman SS version for general camp duties and food prep. These are "Wet/Winter" camps or boating. I keep a saber grind Marauder in the car along with some other "Tools".

Back