Older Collaborators, New Designs, Second Go-Around?

Spyderco has been blessed over the years with some downright awesome collaboration designs which have done a lot to catapult their popularity as a mainline, commercial knife producer IMO. It was mainly some of their collaborations that drew me to being a fan of the Great Spyder Factory. Collaborations like the JD Smith and C-60 Massad Ayoob models really caught my eye and have become some of my all time favorite knives that I currently own and use.

I've often wondered as good as some of those older/past collaborations were that why they didn't do any other designs from some of those great knife designers? Another model from JD Smith and/or Massad Ayoob both would be a dream come true for me.

Now I know that some of those guys like Bob Lum have passed away over the years but even at that you would think that there would be more designs sitting on the shelf so to speak that could be done. With all the genius designs done by guys like Jess Horn and Frank Centofante that people would truly welcome a second and third collaboration from these superb knife designers.

Whose collaboration would you all like to see either return or that individual do a second or third design? Or maybe the older models with completely new materials?

I would like to see another Fred Perrin design folder. All the Spyderco/Perrin collabs are a home run for me. I dont carry fixed blades very often, so that leaves me with just a PPT. Which is all i need, but would really like to see what else they could come up with. Or another ppt sprint with different materials/steel.

I would like to see another Fred Perrin design folder. All the Spyderco/Perrin collabs are a home run for me. I dont carry fixed blades very often, so that leaves me with just a PPT. Which is all i need, but would really like to see what else they could come up with. Or another ppt sprint with different materials/steel.

A big HIGH FIVE on that recommendation "Sig" because I've been a fan of Fred Perrin's designs for a long time. My late best friend even used his STREETBEAT model for his main EDC and we found him deceased carrying his STREETBEAT. I'm a big fan of the STREETBEAT model myself and I'm currently trying to concoct some type of ankle sheath for EDCing one. Yeah I too would like to see more of Perrin's folders in the Spyderco main line up. Him and Laci Szabo both fill a much needed void in Spyderco's tactical sector.

I second Massad Ayoob and suggest Jot Singh Khalsa too.

People have mentioned Fred Perrin and rightly so. I wonder if anyone would be interested in a Spyderco by Sacha Thiel who collaborated with Fred on the PPT?

The Dialex Junior is the model I think has the most "meat left on the bone". Run it in a more bushcraft/outdoor type steel and slightly enlarge the handle and you have a freaking winner. For the record, the handle fits me fine. I want a better steel than VG10 and my local shop has one NIB that has bladeplay.

The Dialex Junior is the model I think has the most "meat left on the bone". Run it in a more bushcraft/outdoor type steel and slightly enlarge the handle and you have a freaking winner. For the record, the handle fits me fine. I want a better steel than VG10 and my local shop has one NIB that has bladeplay.

Without a doubt Brother "Dialex's" designs are very unique but also very functional. His designs I'm sure have specific purposes. He is also one of very few designers that has done more than one collaboration which I've found very interesting. I've often wondered why other genius designers haven't gotten that same opportunity?

Would love to see the Hossom fixed blade knives make a return myself.

Maybe not a need for all four, but perhaps a small, medium & large trio in a different steel.

I love my Forester, i can't imagine a camping trip without that beasty chopper!

I was just thinking the other day how I'd love to have a PPT with titanium liners and backspacer instead of steel. Maybe make the blade out of something like 3v or cruwear and make that pocket clip less stabby in the hand/catching on everything/scratching everything you walk past. I'd be on board.

I was just thinking the other day how I'd love to have a PPT with titanium liners and backspacer instead of steel. Maybe make the blade out of something like 3v or cruwear and make that pocket clip less stabby in the hand/catching on everything/scratching everything you walk past. I'd be on board.

I'd be happy with a PPT with just an evolved clip. The single fixing screw leaves it a big flexy.

I wear mine IWB with the clip covered by by belt and the lanyard clear so I don't hook it on stuff but I can see the potential.

Another collaboration with a JD Smith design would be great. The sprint run a few years back with the Foliage Green G10 has become one of my favorite.

I would have loved a Micheal Walker made by Klotzli....but that's not going to happen so I would like to see another collaboration with him.

The K2 is a nice knife but too big for me, would be good if the mini version could get back on track...

Another collaboration with a JD Smith design would be great. The sprint run a few years back with the Foliage Green G10 has become one of my favorite.

You and I both Brother!!! For the life of me I can't figure why they didn't want to do more with JD Smith. To me that JD Smith model was like Spyderco's version ( and a much better one I might add) of the Buck model 110. It was one of the very first Spyderco collaborations I ever bought. And I even got one of the really early ATS-34 versions which are getting extremely rare now a days.

There was just something super ergonomic about the JD Smith and C-60 Ayoob models. I've yet to find any collaboration that custom fits me like those two models did. Truly Spyderco got those two models letter perfect from the get-go.

I would like to see a large Bowie knife made by Spyderco. James Keating, Bill Bagwell or Lon Humphrey would be a great list of collaborators to choose from.

I would like to see a large Bowie knife made by Spyderco. James Keating, Bill Bagwell or Lon Humphrey would be a great list of collaborators to choose from.

A big Spyderco Bowie would indeed be interesting. Something similar to Cold Steel's TRAILMASTER would really be nice. I thilnk that would be an Ed Schemp project>> and I bet he would do a really super version of the Bowie too.

People have mentioned Fred Perrin and rightly so. I wonder if anyone would be interested in a Spyderco by Sacha Thiel who collaborated with Fred on the PPT?

That's a very interesting pair i.e. Massad Ayoob and Jot Singh Khalsa models when you consider that both models were both popular during Spyderco's GOLDEN ERA ( 1998 - 2003)>> which is the era where most of the old school super classics emerged from. Both models are very "old school' models that are highly sought after by serious collectors. They did have a Sprint Run of a Khalsa a while back but I heard that it didn't do all that well. Whereas the 2011 Sprint Run of the G-10 handled Ayoob did very well in comparison.

With the close cult following that the C-40 Ayoob model has enjoyed over the years I think you could do a Sprint Run at least every two years or so and they would be successful.

That's a very interesting pair i.e. Massad Ayoob and Jot Singh Khalsa models when you consider that both models were both popular during Spyderco's GOLDEN ERA ( 1998 - 2003)>> which is the era where most of the old school super classics emerged from. Both models are very "old school' models that are highly sought after by serious collectors. They did have a Sprint Run of a Khalsa a while back but I heard that it didn't do all that well. Whereas the 2011 Sprint Run of the G-10 handled Ayoob did very well in comparison.

With the close cult following that the C-40 Ayoob model has enjoyed over the years I think you could do a Sprint Run at least every two years or so and they would be successful.

another full size goddard. one of my favorites.

also big Persian schempp.

another starmate run in 440v again would be great also.

Last edited:
another full size goddard. one of my favorites.

also big Persian schempp.

another starmate run in 440v again would be great also.

You too?? Yeah I still like 440V myself and especially on Spyderedged blades. I'm now wondering what a Starmate would be like with a full Spyderedge and a 440V blade?

As far as Ed Schempp is concerned there is some of his stuff that I like. But I tend to like stuff that leans more to the Tactical and Self Defense sector which is why I like Massad Ayoob's stuff so much as well as some of the great designs of Laci Szabo.

Last edited:
Back