Older JK's

In still love the heck out of that Neckmuk and Pocket Kephart. Im a sucker for little knives.

What was this one? I have a pic of it saved but don't recall what it was.073009_149.jpg

Looks like an Original, but with a top-K -
gARMmXsh.jpg

gmbWqL9h.jpg

uLvTLL1h.jpg

John - do you remember putting top-Ks on some early pieces?

Good snag, Jack - I looked at it and was thinking of buying it since it was so inexpensive.

best

mqqn

Not an Original. Top K came the second year. The handles should come down with the guard, it's been modified.

I suppose these are getting to the point they are an "older" JK -

Introducing the JK XD/XM Medium Modern Bowie. It was the result of a design consultation I had with Mr. K - he assisted me in creating a knife that I could see in my mind but had trouble expressing. This particular knife is the second in the XD (Extreme Duty) series, the first being the XD/XT Extra Thick Modern Bowie, of which there is a video link in the "stickied" posts in this forum if one were to be so interested.

The idea was to create a modern interpretation of the Bowie, and this "medium" version was to be smaller than the original, a good size for real-life use where one would carry a belted fixed blade knife.

DSC_8510.JPG

I specified a thumb ramp to aid in leveraging the knife for cutting chores, as well as carving etc. I also specified extra-meaty grips in Garolite plastic.
DSC_8519.JPG

DSC_8519.JPG]

Also specified was a bird-beak pommel treatment to help keep your grip on the handle. I asked John to use larger hollow pins in the scale so the knife could be lashed to a pole if it ever became necessary. Not likely, but it's nice to have the option.
DSC_8523.JPG

The knife features a sharpened swedge, allowing for use as a wharncliffe for detailed cutting and carving when required.
DSC_8521.JPG

The overall length is just over 10 inches, and the knife uses 3/16" 01 tool steel with John's excellent K-Treet proprietary heat treat, which has tested to 59-60 rwc on at least one knife that I personally had tested at the gear/metals lab where I work.
DSC_8525.JPG

Finally, John made a nice, utilitarian leather sheath with a snap-closure to keep the knife secure, which it does admirably.
DSC_8527.JPG

I don't think anyone else ever ordered one after John made my #1 - which was a little surprising given the features and overall usability inherent in the design. Perhaps it is just too "tactical" for John's customers. Maybe we should have called it the Bushwacker and put tan micarta scales on it.... ;^)

best

mqqn

I still have not figured out why that model never sold, it`s a really practical size. What`s the copper looking thing in the photo?

That is a copper kubaton that I purchased on USN from Eric. He made a few of those for auction to support the forum. I love copper. ;^)

I was only half-joking when I mention that if we had made the knife with tan or olive micarta scales, and maybe one lanyard pin and standard solid pins, and perhaps out of 1/8" instead of 3/16" O1, it may have garnered more of a following.

best

mqqn

The Kubaton is 5.5" long and 9/16" in approx diameter.

best

mqqn

Back