On Playing Wordle . . .

sgt1372

Platinum Member
Note: I previously posted a version of this msg in the "CPK - Random Thought" thread but thought it would get better exposure here.

------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else here playing (or interested in playing) "Wordle" online? See: Wordle - A Daily Word Game.

It's free; no registration required. I started playing it about a week ago.

Note: There is a phone app called "Wordle" BUT it is NOT the game I'm and others are talking about. It's a PNP game that people have mistakenly downloaded and paid for thinking that it is the game everyone is talking about. It's NOT. Wordle is only available online and is FREE!

Wordle is a variation on "Hangman." You have to "guess" a 5 letter word in 6 tries or less. I've come close to getting stumped but haven't missed a word yet. I've been averaging 4 tries for each word; low of 3 and high of 6.

My 1st 2 tries are devoted to using 2 words that contain all of the vowels and some commonly used consonants. So, unless the mystery word is one of the words used in the 1st 2 tries, I can never guess word in less than 3 tries.

If you need more information, there are a lot of articles online providing "tips" on how to play the game.

-----------------------------------------

There is only 1 new word puzzle a day -- the same word for everyone -- and you can "share" your results w/others w/o giving away the word by posting your results for the day which looks like this.

Wordle 215 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The WHITE boxes mean that none of the letters used is in the word. GREEN boxes mean that the letter is in the word and is in the correct position. And the YELLOW box means that the letter is in the word but not in the correct position.

Sometimes, a letter can be used more than once, which makes guessing the word a bit more difficult.

Sharing Wordle results with "friends" or "followers" in social media is currently very popular. Feel free to do so, as you please, BUT it is NOT necessary or expected here.

I'm simply making some info available about the game for those who are already (or may be interested in) playing it.

The online program only allows you to play the game offered each day as it occurs; you cannot play past games on the primary game site.

However, there is another website that will allow you to play past games going back to June 20, 2021. See: Wordle Archive

This program will record your results and do a running tally of the % of games that you have played BUT, in order to save this info, you will have to allow cookies to be saved in your browser. I do not permit this in my primary browser but I have a secondary browser that I use which I permit to save cookies.

I have begun playing 2 games a day working forwards and backwards and, at this rate, it'll take me about 6 months to "catch up" and play all of the games past/present.

Lastly, if you get "stuck" there are certain websites that will provide the answers to every day's game.

In fact, I found one website that claims to list EVERY answer for Wordle from June 19, 2021 thru October 20, 2027, when it is said the game will end. I assume this is because there are only a limited # of 5 letter words available in the English language and the 2315 word list on this website apparently covers all (or almost all) of them.

Note: While this list begins on June 19, 2021, the Wordle Archive only goes back to June 20, 2021. I do not know the reason for this discrepancy. I also do not know how they acquired the entire of list of words but so far the list has been accurate.

If you get "stumped," you can resort to using this list to "find" the answer BUT please refrain from using the list to "spoil" the game for others.

See: Here Lies Wordle; 2021-2027 (Full Answer List)

Have fun! :)

Last edited:
I've played over 120 games of Wordle past/present so far and have failed to solve 6 (or about 5%) of those puzzles and have had great difficulty (level 6) solving others.

These failures/difficulties were due to some obvious factors (other than general stupidty and impatience on my part):

1) Double letter words (like ferry or masse)
2) Multiple possible spellings using only a single differnt letter (like patch, hatch or match)
3) Double/triple consonant words (like hyper, dowry or vodka)
4) Words that use uncommon consonants (like boozy or craze)
5) Uncommon/unfamiliar words or spellings (like rebus or masse - without the accent on the e)

As for cheating, which is a compelling impulse for some puzzles, in addition to the complete list of answers mentioned above, you can also use a word UNSRCRAMBLER (which heretofore have been used for crosswords and game Scramble).

The one I like is WordUnscambler.me which allows you to input up to 15 letters and the option to include a specific letter and specific pre/suffixes. It not perfect and failed to provide the correct word to one puzzle so far (has to resort to the answer to figure it out) but it's pretty good.

I'll admit that I've had to resort to using this unscrambler a couple of times but they were counted as failures when I did.

Happy Wordling! ;)

Breaking News today!

The New York Times has purchased Wordle from its creator for a sum reported in the low 7 figures. See: New York Times Buys Viral "Wordle" Game.

In addition to the fee it charges for online subscriptions to the paper, the NYT also charges add on fees for online access to it's Games and Cooking features, which are apparently important to generating additional subscriptions (and income) for the paper.

NYT Games currently includes Spelling Bee and LetterBox (which is also a favorite word game of mine) andthe NYT Crossword (which is considered the eptiome of crossword puzzles).

While it is said that Wordle will remain "free" for now, it is not clear how long it will remain so or what effect this acquisition will have on the collateral websites like the Wordle Archive and Full Answer List posted above.

I have a free daily subscription to the NYT thru my local library.. It includes basic access to all of the NYT Games, except the Crossword and requires a regular subscription for "full" access to other games like the Spelling Bee and Letter Box.

Since it's just a basic daily game, the NYT's acquisition of Wordle shouldn't affect me but if you find yourself eventually unable to play Wordle because it requires a subscription, you can consider some other online word games that are similar to Wordle as described/listed in the following article:

If You Finished Wordle Today, Try Out These Similar Games.

Last edited:
Do you use the same "seed" word every time you start a new puzzle? If not, do you have a list of seed words that you use? Or how else do you choose your seed word for each puzzle? TIA!

Do you use the same "seed" word every time you start a new puzzle? If not, do you have a list of seed words that you use? Or how else do you choose your seed word for each puzzle? TIA!

I use irate or later
Since the most commonly used letters in English are: E, A, R, I, O, T, N, S...
"stare" or "train" are good starter words.

I've only been playing for about a week, and I'm averaging taking 4 guesses. Got it in 3 once.

Since the most commonly used letters in English are: E, A, R, I, O, T, N, S...
"stare" or "train" are good starter words.

I've only been playing for about a week, and I'm averaging taking 4 guesses. Got it in 3 once.
Only played a couple of times so far. I have been using "arise." I like getting a reading on three out of five vowels at once since i know at least one vowel has to be in there. "Arose" works, too, but "i" is slightly more common that "o."

Only played a couple of times so far. I have been using "arise." I like getting a reading on three out of five vowels at once since i know at least one vowel has to be in there. "Arose" works, too, but "i" is slightly more common that "o."
Hey, thanks for that. I used "arise" today and got the word on my second guess. Personal best! 👍😃

As recommended in various Wordle tip articles, I use "ADIEU" as the 1st word because it contains 4 out of the 5 vowels.

If I blank on "AEI or U"(or only get one or 2 of them), I'll then use a consonant heavy word w/an "O" but w/o a "D" in it to cover all the vowels and to reveal a few additional consonants.

Some of the followup words I use are PORTS, CROWN or STROP. Note that the position of the "O" in each of these words is different, which may be important if AEI or U comes up GREEN in a specific position, in which case you'll want to avoid using the O in that position in order to avoid wasting the square.

---------------------------------

I created a spreadsheet to record all of my answers and calc some basic metrics.

I have played 161 games using the Daily Game and the Archive (back to Aug 2021) so far. I have correctly solved 155 or 96% of them w/an average score of 4.48; median 4. My score distribution has been: 2 (1, 1%); 3 (21, 13%); 4 (61, 38%); 5 (45, 28%), 6 (27, 17%) and Failed (6, 4%).

A passable but hardly spectacular performance.

Last edited:
Additional news . . .

People who are concerned about the purchase of Wordle by the NYT have revealed a HACK in order to save the game for offline use in case the NYT creates a pay wall to prevent free use of Wordle in the future.

Apparently, all you have to do is save the game's webpage as an HTML file and you can play the game OFFLINE because the data file including all of the words in the game going out to October 20, 2027 is supposedly embedded in the program file.

I haven't tested this yet but there are various articles which say it's true. So, if you are worried about it, just save Wordle to HTML on your phone or computer and bookmark it and see it if works for you or not.

See, for example: Wordle Will Be Free Forever . . .

Last edited:
Additional news . . .

People who are concerned about the purchase of Wordle by the NYT have revealed a HACK in order to save the game for offline use in case the NYT creates a pay wall to prevent free use of Wordle in the future.

Apparently, all you have to do is save the game's webpage as an HTML file and you can play the game OFFLINE because the data file including all of the words in the game going out to October 20, 2027 is embedded in the program file.

I have tested this yet but there are various articles which say it's true. So, if you are worried about it, just save Wordle to HTML on your phone or computer and bookmark it and see it if works for you or not.

See, for example: Wordle Will Be Free Forever . . .
Thanks! I'll try it out.

Just finished "catching up" by playing all 232 of the Wordle games played to date back to Jun 19, 2021. My stats are basically the same as before w/a 97/3% solve/fail rate and an average/median of 4.48/4.

While I'm limited to 1 day a new game a day now, the Archive has provides the option as many "random" games every day, as I like, from the list of all 2315 words , which makes for good practice and a great time killer in the interim.

Had a slow start. Looked it up after finding this thread tonight. Played a few without reading your post. Failed every one. Haha. Then read a bit of the thread, and still wasn't getting anywhere, you mentioned ADIEU. Now I have a lineup of three words I will use every time, which have given me a 75% win rate so far (out of four games since I started using these three words). Here is the last one.

I guessed this 5-letter word in 5/6 tries.

🟨⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Can you guess this word?

Thanks sgt1372 sgt1372 this is fun!

I'll probably keep refinining the words though... they are inefficient with some redundant letters

🟨⬛⬛🟨🟨
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟨⬛🟨
🟨🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Can you guess this word?

Feel free to do so, as you please

Don't mind if I do. :)

If you folks do as well, I will try your words and see if I can get them.

Yay!

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛🟩
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Can you guess this word?

I guessed this 5-letter word in 6/6 tries.

🟨⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨
⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩⬛🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Can you guess this word?

Oh man, my fifth word was a shot in the dark. I don't know how any of you are getting words on the third try. But I'm on a winning streak still. :)

I'm stumped and I have two tries left. 🤔

Back