Once you carry a SAK regularly can you go back to carrying any other knife again.

I can't help but laugh
Non knife people open those packages and zip ties with little thought. Usually the figure out how to open em with scissors, a kitchen knife or their keys.

And they manage
I think we overthink this stuff

I know my wife thinks I do
But then she is weird, she is convinced pocket knives are dirty. Like real dirty, they are verboten at the kitchen table.
I think it has something to do with what or how her father used his ...

Or, just insert the tip of the classic blade in the slot and press down on the locking tab of the tie. It slides right out to loosen. On occasion I've used the point of the P-38 can opener to lose the tie. The nail file tip pf a cadet also works well.

Or, just insert the tip of the classic blade in the slot and press down on the locking tab of the tie. It slides right out to loosen. On occasion I've used the point of the P-38 can opener to lose the tie. The nail file tip pf a cadet also works well.
I always use a safety pin. It slides right between the teeth and is easy to hold in place with your finger while you pull the ziptie back open. The problem I've found with using other things is that they get pushed out easily and you keep having to finagle them back in.

Zipties can wreck scissors.

Another trick is to jam something under the ziptie and twist it, which causes the ziptie to coil around it and break from the tension. A screwdriver can work well for this, but anything sturdy and slim/long enough will do.

My edc has morphed into a large soddie in a belt sheath and a recruit in the pocket

But I have another skeletool on order so not entirely certain on what I will settle on

I'd love to upgrade the recruit to an alox cadet II but those are seemingly tough to come by..

I hear you! While I occasionally carry some kind of SAK in my daily life, one is ALWAYS in my pocket when camping - usually my Fieldmaster. The big folder gets swappped out frequently, but the SAK always has the place of honor!
Ru1pb0H.jpg

I can't help but laugh
Non knife people open those packages and zip ties with little thought. Usually the figure out how to open em with scissors, a kitchen knife or their keys.

One time I put a package of Craftsman screwdrivers in a vise and used a reciprocating saw.

I wasn't always a Swiss army knife guy, until about the end of 2019 I was a hard core Leatherman user. Then I broke yet another Leatherman, and decided I needed to go to a pair of dedicated pliers, to augment this I added a small tinker. I now carry a swisschamp and rambler daily. While I'll never again be without one, prudence dictates that I carry a dedicated knife that I can access with one hand. I once got my hair tangled in the friction hitch of my climbing line, and while it wasn't a life threatening situation it was to say the least a bit uncomfortable. A paramilitary 2 attached to a fob I could easily reach through my climbing saddle abated the situation while I kept weight off of my head with my other hand. That knife is now gone, but others have stepped in to fill the role. In the winter with heavy gloves it's a sheath knife on a baldric under my left arm in the bucket, in summertime while wearing shorts, it's a one handed folder. I'll also through a medium stockman in my pocket to have the various blade shapes I've found useful for different tasks I might encounter.

Another "never without".

When I am out, I have at minimum two knives, if I carry only two, usually a 91mm SAK like my Camper or Super Tinker (though I am growing partial to 74mm, I carry a G10 Executive in my pocket at home), and a waved Police, Yojumbo, Cold Steel maybe, something with 4" of blade, and still useful for EDC cutting.

Usually more than two, though. Usually a waved 4" on my right, a nice, regular, 3" ish, pocketknife like this Advocate below, a PM2 or a RAT, or a Native 5 LW, the SAK, and maybe an additional knife, either something fancy, a gentlemanly fifth-pocket knife like the Dodo, Chaparral, or Microtech UTX-75, or another small emergency knife like the Lil Matriarch.

If I have my messenger bag, I have a flashlight, Leatherman Wingman, an Opinel, and sometimes something else. The SAK has definitely replaced the Leatherman in pocket for me, though I still like to have it.

My last couple carries, still deciding on today's carry.
20221226_150708.jpg

Explorer and Rambler
20221226_151401.jpg

Tinker Deluxe

Last edited:

Once you carry a SAK regularly can you go back to carrying any other knife again.​

I generally agree with that, with a couple of caveats. I have prolly 50+ traditional folders, and never carry them because a SAK has 15x the utility in the size size and weight of a traditional folder. However, one may carry a traditional just for the pure joy of the experience, and that's hard to argue with. As for folding knives like a Spyderco, I find the quick access and deployment to be with the effort of carrying it in addition to a SAK. So I usually carry a locking folder of some sort for its quick deployment, a SAK for the drivers, scissors, etc., and a 58mm SAK for the micro phillips which is extremely useful in today's world. Plus, the 58mm SAK doesn't send fat, divorced Karens into hysterics if they see me use it in public. If I'm feeling naughty, I'll add a pliers-based MT to the mix - though its been a long time since I've needed pliers out in the real world.

But yeah, an Explorer Plus or similar will take care of just about all of my daily needs in the knife/scissors/drivers genre.

0p0pg4s.jpg

I carry an SAK (Huntsman), a Civivi Praxis, and a Leatherman Sidekick when I'm at the gym four times a week. Normally, I am better equipped! 🤣

I usually carry either my Victorinox Climber or Leatherman P2 and an other blade which is usually a longer one. So this way there are no duplications... I don't like duplications as I love to minimize the weight of my daily carry. The Vic Climber btw was my only carry for many-many years, but then I got infected by the knife bug... and many times it's really practical to have an other, longer blade with me.

Time was I used to carry any number of brands, but as time marched on, it was fewer and fewer. There is a SAK, for sure, carried in my jeans watch pocket, but also a Leatherman Rebar, carried by a belt pouch, along with a small flashlight and small black marking pen, one of which I had the foresight to lay in a supply while they were still available at stationary supply stores. Those are all I carry anymore, and have been for several years. I use them all almost every day. I hate to tell you what I used to carry, but I have no doubt that I'm not the only one to both lighten the load and breathe a sigh of relief. I must have a boatload of nevermore used portable cutlery at my disposal, but I can only put it down to the wisdom of old age. Yet, I haven't lost interest in the subject, so here I am, ready to comment on Knotty Problems, or at least , congratulate those who are still in the process. Good fortune to those of us still enchanted with the subject, and hope I am in the position to comment thereof. :)

I'm the odd man out here. I love my SAKs. I have dozens of them. All of them are super useful. However, I find that I get more use out of a full or mid size pliers based multi-tool than a SAK.

I think it's the fact that I like a lot of functions, so that means I tend to like the 4 layers and up models. I would say that if I had to settle on one that was less than 4 layers, I think the Camper would do it for me. I much prefer the Explorer, though. It's my travel knife when a knife is legal but frowned upon and a MT looks a little too "industrial" and clanks around when I use it. Boring thick SAK with a lot of little tools for that big mean scary spear point blade to get lost among.

Most days I find myself either carrying a folder and a MT on my belt or just the MT. My SAKs are scattered throughout my house in various drawers for when I need to cut a piece of string or turn a random screw and I don't have my tool on me.

tl;dr... I can live without a SAK, but I tend to break out in hives when I don't have some sort of MT on my person.

Back