One more time - what the best knife for defense against bears?

I've heard of a British Columbia forestry worker killing a black bear with an ax, and an acquaintance in Bella Coola several decades ago peeled a cougar off his back (it was famished and old) and finished it off with his 110. Bear spray works, usually, but not always; a couple who were backpacking were killed by a grizzly in Banff National Park a few weeks ago and they did empty one can of bear spray. Best advice, be aware, and be faster than the next person.

The KA-bar legend lives on.
According to company records, the letter was only partially legible; "ka bar" could be read, as fragments of the phrase "kill a bear". In 1923, the company adopted the name Ka-Bar from the "bear story" as its trademark. From 1923, the KA-BAR trademark was used as a ricasso stamp by Union Cutlery Co.

I did. Gave my pocket knife to my buddy, pointed him towards the bear, told him to make me proud, and ran like he!!
With the going price of higher end pockets knives, I am sure there are plenty of people out there who would be willing to accept your challenge.

For a nice Ron Lake, …I may need to consider it. :cool: (How big was that bear?)

n2s

In October this year two climbers were attacked by a Ussuri Brown Bear (aka Black Grizzly) near Hakodate Japan. It is reported that they escaped serious injury/death by fending it off with a knife. Later, a dead bear was found. And even later, another climber's body was found with indications of a bear attack.
So yes, there are cases worldwide where a knife, despite beng an absolute last resort, has been used to avoid death against a bear.
Gun owners (and I used to own 12 myself) tend to laugh off the idea of a knife vs bear. But there are times when one does not have a firearm on them.
I carry both a Bear Spray can and a knife when in the woods.

"..two men who were climbing were attacked and injured by a bear. The men managed to fight off the bear by stabbing it in the eye and throat with a knife."

Ussuri Brown Bear:
v9DbKB.jpg

Last time a guy asked this, the bear won...

Despite the chances being close to zero, I'd recommend a Saufeder (boar spear) or a Hirschfänger or any kind of 10"+ double edged dagger with a sturdy tip.

The problem with carrying the best knife for bear defense is it won't be good for much other use in the woods. Something like the large double edge daggers made for Spanish boar hunters would be my first pick but I can't think of any reason I would want to carry one.

Adding a update to my previous. The dead bear was found with wounds to the eye and throat, consistent with the use of a knife to fend it off in October.
The bear is considered to have died from blood loss. Autopsy underway. The mountain climber who fended off the bear was a fireman.

Haven’t you heard?? Anyone that knows anything on the internet will tell you that’s a dumb idea.

It’s well known that if you try to use a knife to defend yourself against a bear, the bear will almost certainly just take the knife away from you and use it on you.

Work on your empty hand skills - never rely on silly weapons. ;)

Last edited:
There is a family story of my great grandmother killing a blackbear with a single shot .22lr, however she was in the house and the bear still ran 3/4 of a mile with the slug in its heart, so I'd guess that had it been a real attack, my family tree would be somewhat different (no one remembers which kids were born at the time) Dumb luck is however a genetic trait I think I must have gotten from her.

Back