One stone?

I've got a bunch of different Busse knives. I made a leather strop with some diamond paste, and it brings a razor sharp edge to already sharp blades. I dont intend to let the knife get dull to the point where I need a serious sharpener or a reprofiling.

If I want to get one sharpening stone though, that can bring a dull knife back to a fairly sharpened state, what should I get? I dont want complicated sharpening systems, and I'd like to avoid multiple stones. Maybe two tops... I'm really happy with how simple and effective my strop is. Now If I can find one stone to do what a strop can't, I'll be happy.

I would get a Dmt duosharp 8"x3" or 10"x4" course/fine. $55 to $100 depending on the size you choose and where you get it, A stand is probably $20.

Or a fine India stone from Norton. Cheap and effective.

I would get a Dmt duosharp 8"x3" or 10"x4" course/fine. $55 to $100 depending on the size you choose and where you get it, A stand is probably $20.

Not bad. I'll look around

Or a fine India stone from Norton. Cheap and effective.

Can you expand on this? Why am I only finding "replacement stones" Is it part of a set, or can a just get a bench stone.

ETA: Ok, I'm finding a few of these India stones with a plastic case and oil. They list em as either Coarse India/Fine India or medium India/Soft arkansas... whats the difference?

Last edited:
I think the best all around stone with only 1 grit is a Fine (Red) DMT stone, it will give you good removal rates and a good edge.

If you're maintaining with a strop... another option is to just get sandpaper of various grits and lay it on top of your strop.

cbw

Spyderco makes the Double Stuf that has medium on one side and fine on the other. It has a good cutting rate and the fine will give you super sharp edges. Then finish with the strop. The MSRP is $43 but you could find it for $30-$35 places.

The India stones will cut most steels rapidly. The Arkansas is good for final edge and touchups, but may not cut the super hard steels rapidly.

Rock,The med.Norton is about a 300 grit and the Arkansas a 600 grit.The Translucent may come closer to cutting vanadium steels.The Spyderco ceramic stones are offered in a longer size 1x8" med.and fine which is better to sharpen on.The size DMT diamond stones mentioned will run you over 100$ for the 3x8 and 125$ for the 4x10.I think you'd appreciate later on down the road, the flexibility of 2 twin stones. You never know what/whose knives you may sharpen.ie.friends,mothers,wife ect.. With a coarse,med.,fine,x-fine and strop,you'll have a real good setup capable of most anything.
With diamond,ceramic or Norton.DM

David there is a new 8"x3" DMT duosharp course/fine on that auction site for $55 or best offer.

If you're maintaining with a strop... another option is to just get sandpaper of various grits and lay it on top of your strop.

cbw

Interesting option. What grits would I go with?

Spyderco makes the Double Stuf that has medium on one side and fine on the other. It has a good cutting rate and the fine will give you super sharp edges. Then finish with the strop. The MSRP is $43 but you could find it for $30-$35 places.

Ok, thanks. Sounds like a very good option. I'm checking it out.

The India stones will cut most steels rapidly. The Arkansas is good for final edge and touchups, but may not cut the super hard steels rapidly.

Ok, so it sounds like India medium and India fine would be best then. Cool.

Rock,The med.Norton is about a 300 grit and the Arkansas a 600 grit.The Translucent may come closer to cutting vanadium steels.The Spyderco ceramic stones are offered in a longer size 1x8" med.and fine which is better to sharpen on.The size DMT diamond stones mentioned will run you over 100$ for the 3x8 and 125$ for the 4x10.I think you'd appreciate later on down the road, the flexibility of 2 twin stones. You never know what/whose knives you may sharpen.ie.friends,mothers,wife ect.. With a coarse,med.,fine,x-fine and strop,you'll have a real good setup capable of most anything.
With diamond,ceramic or Norton.DM

David, I'm a little unclear about which one you're recommending. Are you saying go with the cheaper (bigger) Spyderco in a coarse, medium, fine and x-fine stones?

I'm not opposed to a dual sided stone. I'd actually prefer it. Maybe even two stones with a total of four sides. I just want to avoid complicated expensive systems. If I can hit up my edges with one stone and a strop, that would be perfect.

Thanks guys, keep the info coming!

Rock,I really wasn't reccomending any.I was merely puting the information out for you. Trying to be accurate and allowing you to decide.GRY, ok I see.I was quoting prices from catalogue's or sites and new. Plus add 10$ for shipping.Anyway, diamond stones will be less economical.I have alarge array of stones which I use to sharpen knives for many persons to different levels.But if pressed I could narrow it down to 5 stones.Which would cover me from x-coarse to xx-fine at 200grit intervals and a strop.So, just figure out what your needs really are.DM

You can also glue some extremely fine sandpaper to paint stirring sticks to polish the edge.

Back