Ontario blackbird s35vn disappointment

StrangeDaze

Gold Member
I just received a Blackbird in the new steel (s35vn) and the new sheath.
I was disappointed that parts of the finish are so rough. There are machining marks all around the tang as well as pieces of the corner of the tang that are missing (almost like tiny chips). Same goes for the spine, machining marks and small pieces of metal missing on the corners. The spine isn’t a sharp 90 degree like it is supposed to be. I wasn’t expecting perfection but for the price i was disappointed.

The usual issues are there as well, an uneven secondary bevel and the handle scales don’t fit perfect but i was sort of expecting that at this point from Ontario.
This is probably the least important, but thought i should mention, the grind lines on the flat primary grind is diagonal instead of vertical like you normally see.

I didn’t return it because these flaws are mostly cosmetic and there is the possibility the replacement could be worse! I had to send 3 different sp10s back due to incredibly bad grinds and have no interest in spending the time doing that again.

i just wanted to let anyone know who might be considering getting one. For the price the fit and finish is pretty sub par. I really hope Ontario can step up their QC.

Back