Ontario Bushcraft Woodsman (50 pictures, with SP8)

Hi Blade People,

I managed to win this in an auction. It is a Woodsman with DeSantis sheath, with boxed dated Jun, 2021.

There is no official records on:
1. when the steel of this knife was switched from 5160 to 420SS. (the first discussion in this forum was in 2018)
2. when DeSantis Gunhide was replaced by OKC Inhouse Sheath. (I believe the replacement took place as early as 2016)

with above two known, which makes my new knife very suspecious: a 2021 Woodsman with DeSantis.

Could anyone help me identifying the steel on my knife? Thanks.

BTW, the pictures does not do justics to this knife, especially the walnut wood handle, Simply stunning. It is a heavily under priced knife. Go get it while it is still available.

GAW-9306.jpg

GAW-9307.jpg

GAW-9308.jpg

GAW-9313.jpg

GAW-9315.jpg

GAW-9318.jpg

GAW-9319.jpg

GAW-9320.jpg

GAW-9321.jpg

GAW-9322.jpg

GAW-9323.jpg

GAW-9324.jpg

GAW-9325.jpg

GAW-9326.jpg

GAW-9327.jpg

GAW-9328.jpg

GAW-9330.jpg

GAW-9331.jpg

GAW-9333.jpg

GAW-9334.jpg

Last edited:
any one got any idea why the font of Woodsman is so similar to this “Bushcraft USA forum”?

20230516161157.png

GAW-9359.jpg

Mr. bramley02- The blade of your Woodsman is made from 420 SS, all the 5160 blades made by Ontario had the steel designation laser etched on the blade. You are fortunate to have a DeSantis sheath for the knife. They are the finest nylon sheaths Ontario ever supplied with any of their knives. I selected the font for the etch on the Bushcraft series back when I first designed the knives which was prior to my exposure to the BushcraftUSA forum. I just liked the way it looked and seemed to fit a Bushcraft knife.

Mr. bramley02- The blade of your Woodsman is made from 420 SS, all the 5160 blades made by Ontario had the steel designation laser etched on the blade. You are fortunate to have a DeSantis sheath for the knife. They are the finest nylon sheaths Ontario ever supplied with any of their knives. I selected the font for the etch on the Bushcraft series back when I first designed the knives which was prior to my exposure to the BushcraftUSA forum. I just liked the way it looked and seemed to fit a Bushcraft knife.
Dear Dan, since when OKC stopped providing DeSantis sheath? I guess that was way ahead of 2021. My Woodsman with "June 2021". The conflict of the two date just confused me a bit.

GAW-9308.jpg

The DeSantis sheaths were discontinued some years ago, certainly long before 2021, so I found found no explanation why your knife should have a DeSantis sheath. The knife certainly did not come from Ontario in 2021 with a DeSantis sheath. But as I mentioned before you are fortunate to have a DeSantis sheath, they are very well made (and were quite expensive).

The DeSantis sheaths were discontinued some years ago, certainly long before 2021, so I found found no explanation why your knife should have a DeSantis sheath. The knife certainly did not come from Ontario in 2021 with a DeSantis sheath. But as I mentioned before you are fortunate to have a DeSantis sheath, they are very well made (and were quite expensive).
Is there any way that the maker of the current sheaths could scale them down a bit, they are much bigger than they need to be?

much appreciate your reply Dan. This rare piece will be my shelf queen.

Is there any way that the maker of the current sheaths could scale them down a bit, they are much bigger than they need to be?
For 10 inch blade sheath, current sheath is made by OKC, which is no bigger than DeSantis. Current sheath is even upgraded with thigh strap, guard strap and molle.

If you were talking about SP1,2, etc, anything blade length shorter than 7 inch, current sheath is longer with molle compatiable, which is a plus option for outdoor or pro carry.

GAW-9370.jpg

The 420 HC version is a good knife, I tested it, and some one made a good vid about its water borne goodlieness about it. I tested it on a frozen jack pine twisted mutant log...didn't split it, even with an SP-53 didn't, I had to Maul it to death with a Maul out of anger. But the knife held up and edge was fine.

Its a good knife...price point...well depends how you value its use. Every one I gave away became favorite kitchen butcher knives, well they are from that design, my "Evil" (hey they are called evil by tradition!) step mother has to keep her's (she stoled it from my dad I gifted him) in her office or my little step sister would snatch it. My brother lost his when his wife saw it going on the camping trip and it went in to her LOCKED knife case before the trip. Since my other brother is the main cook of the house, he uses his for the kitchen. Mine...good camp knife, and one in my kitchen as well. The 5160 also goes on the dry land trips.

Back