Ontario Knife Company Sold?

the last few comments in this thread brought back a memory of a few months ago, when I saw a comment by someone claiming to have been an edger at Ontario just before covid, they were apparently the only edger and there were not enough employees to do the work, looks like they could not get over these issues, sadly.

geeZUor.png

it is a real shame, as i cancelled an order for an SP-53 and an SP-10 at that time, which i now regret. i panic bought an SP-53, a 1-18 machete and 3 old hickory knives in the last few days, but I could not find a single SP-10 for sale in my country (Australia) and i am now kicking myself, despite the edging issues, they were still great knives, especially at their low price point. such a shame.

I actually like to believe that business minded people are NOT stupid. Blue Ridge just made a huge financial investment in buying out Ontario and they have no interest in devaluing the company (unlike Musk has done w/Twitter) unnecessarily.

Yeah, perhaps it's naive but, if they are interested in maximizing profits while also minimizing costs, I have to believe that they are aware of the established customer base & its expectations for Ontario's products.

They've got all of the blueprints, designs and plans for the knives already being made by Ontario and it they maintain the same quality of materials & same quality of production, there's no reason why they can't produce the same products for much less (the savings will be in labor costs).

China is actually NOT a good place to outsource production to these days because of it's poor political & economic climate and little/no $ will be saved sending the work to Taiwan.

If it were me, I'd look to India &/or Pakistan (or maybe, Mexico) instead.

Mexico is likely out of the question for mass manufacturing of knives. The Mexican government & society in general are very hostile towards knives(e.g. carrying a small SAK will earn you comments like: "trying to stab somebody or what?"). The local industry is almost extinct so no local talent anywhere and there is also the issue of where the steels would be sourced from. I recently bought a knife from a Mexican maker in Jalisco who descends from the old knife making families in the region and he said all he could get a hold of was cal. 10(<4mm) 420 steel and I don't even know if it's 420HC 😒.

Sheaths though, specifically leather sheaths, that's probably a good idea to mass produce in Mexico. A lot of good leather workers, lots of cattle to source the leather from, etc. As an example this knife came with a pretty sheath:

Y06ZDe1.jpeg

Alas for Ontario and Old Hickory 😔. I suppose this is now worth its weight in gold:

SIbl557.jpeg

mUCgxII.jpeg

I am very saddened to read of the loss of Ontario Knives. The Ontario 498 Marine Combat knife was the military issue Kabar for decades. And it is a great knife, built like the WW2 era Kabars. Kept one around for yard work such as slitting bags of top soil, fertilizer, etc. It got so rusty that I put something else out in the shed. I still have an Ontario Pilot Survival knife from the 1980's or 1990's. The saw blade on the back has always been useless, in my opinion, but the edge works. At least you can beat on things with the pommel.

Sad, sad, sad. 😭

Mexico is likely out of the question for mass manufacturing of knives. The Mexican government & society in general are very hostile towards knives(e.g. carrying a small SAK will earn you comments like: "trying to stab somebody or what?"). The local industry is almost extinct so no local talent anywhere and there is also the issue of where the steels would be sourced from. I recently bought a knife from a Mexican maker in Jalisco who descends from the old knife making families in the region and he said all he could get a hold of was cal. 10(<4mm) 420 steel and I don't even know if it's 420HC 😒.

Sheaths though, specifically leather sheaths, that's probably a good idea to mass produce in Mexico. A lot of good leather workers, lots of cattle to source the leather from, etc. As an example this knife came with a pretty sheath:

Y06ZDe1.jpeg
Like a number of European countries, they have a stronger custom and semi-custom knife industry, without much in the way of mass production knife companies. They have two different Mexicos, when it comes to knife laws: 1) the tourist bubble and 2) where people go to work and use knives as tools, but they enforce the opposite of open carry. If a semi-custom knife company ramped things up in Mexico it's not like they don't have a lot of people with experience working with steel there, but their industry is also under threat from non-specific Indo-Asian Pacific regional powers as well as tariffs from the US, so that could put a damper on things.

I am very saddened to read of the loss of Ontario Knives. The Ontario 498 Marine Combat knife was the military issue Kabar for decades. And it is a great knife, built like the WW2 era Kabars. Kept one around for yard work such as slitting bags of top soil, fertilizer, etc. It got so rusty that I put something else out in the shed. I still have an Ontario Pilot Survival knife from the 1980's or 1990's. The saw blade on the back has always been useless, in my opinion, but the edge works. At least you can beat on things with the pommel.

Sad, sad, sad. 😭
The saw blade on the back is useless at cutting wood, but it is actually designed to cut through the aluminium of an aircraft, though I can't say whether it is effective or not at doing so. I did see a video on youtube, I can't remember the name of it, where someone used the saw to cut through a sheet of aluminium, it worked, but it wasn't easy because he was holding the sheet on two cinderblocks and it had to hold it still while cutting it, I imagine that it would cut a lot easier if it was being held together by the frame of the aircraft and you could really use all your effort to make the knife cut through it, rather than having to hold it still and cut it at the same time.

Edit: I managed to find the video, the aluminium in the video does look thin, and apparently the knife is not very good at cutting through modern aircraft aluminium, but I think that it would be fine for the kind used back when this knife was designed, though it could just be a gimmick as the aluminium probably would not be the only thing that they had to cut through, as there would be things in between such as the electronics and the structural support of the aircraft, either way, here is the video:

(timestamp should start at 15:21)

Last edited:
I crudely reprofiled and convexed the SP2 and now it whittles like a champ.
The coating is not the toughest one, so I believe it's coming off next...

IMG_20230729_162254~2.jpg

I am not sure if the new owners are reading here, but if you do:
Please make sure to remember that the knives made by Ontario are workhorses, reliable and affordable chunks of steel that are real value for the money.

So, I went by my favorite surplus store to grab an extra sheath. I just so happened to notice the last OKC machete they had in stock. The proprietor said he likely wouldn't get any more in the future. And just like that I walked out with a new machete I didn't "need." If I had a nickel for every time.

Hey everyone,

Im new here, please bear with me if I’m posting in the wrong area. I just wanted to start a thread about Ontario Knife Company being sold. I reached out to them concerning an issue I was having with one of my OKC knives. I was told my knife is definitely “not right”, but they were sold and not honoring their warranty at this time. The representative also told me that the new owner has not determined how they are going to handle warranty claims going forward. I really feel this is a bad move on the part of the new owner, I honestly won’t be purchasing any other knives from them unless this gets sorted out. Thoughts? Any news about this issue that I’m not aware of?
Have you got any word back?

I heard Blue Ridge Knives bought them. I imagine they wont keep any of the US made products going, at least not here, but welcome being pleasantly surprised. Are they continuing production on the overseas models with their previous factories? I love the RAT folders and would like to see them produced in Taiwan vs. China.

Last edited:
Any word on what's going on these days with Ontario knife company? Any more SP-5's coming to market?

The representative also told me that the new owner has not determined how they are going to handle warranty claims going forward. I really feel this is a bad move on the part of the new owner,
Why would the new owner warrantee/guarantee something he had less than nothing to do with manufacturing?
To be honest, I've never heard of such happening. If you have, please tell who.

When Cold Steel recently sold out to whoever, the Thompson era knives lost their warrantee. That includes the products in dealer and distributor inventory, and the items at the various CS contract manufacturing facilities yet to be shipped out.

When Schrade went under in 2004 no one expected Taylor Cutlry who bought all the brand names and intellectual properties at the bankruptcy auction to warrant the pre-bankruptcy knives.
In 2017 when BTI bought out Taylor, the didn't have to warrantee the Taylor Schrade era knives, (they still don't warrantee the old US and European made pre 2004 knives.) The Taylor Schrade were warranteed, since they were/are still using the same contract companies. The only real changes were some (not all) of the management personell, and the letterhead.
Be aware they didn't have to warrant the Taylor era knives. They could have made cosmetic changes, or changed some materials (brass or copper bolsters instead of German Silver, for example) to differeniate the BTI/Taylor made products, and only warrantee what BTI actually contracted for.

When Chrysler bought AMC the excisting new cars "under warrantee" - either waiting for a buyer on the showroom floor, or bought the day prior to the Chrysler buy-out, were no longer covered by the warrantee (aside from the emissions warrantee, which is covered by whoever made the emission control items.)

When Fiat bought Mercedes Benz's interest in Chrysler, those made during the MB partnership/ownership were not covered by the warrantee.

When Ford sold their controlling interest in Volvo, SAAB, Mazda, and Misubishi, all the cars of those brands made when they were in control lost their warrany. Same for the offshore GM brands when GM sold their interests in them.

New owners are not required to warrant their predicessor's products, any more than the former owners are required to provide warrantee coverage. (which in the cases of bankruptcy would be rather difficult to do ... or enforce, since that company no longer exists. The name may "live on" but the corporation is no more. Queen Cutlery died during the great depression. Someone else bought the name and made knives using the name. Pre-depression and post depression Queen knives are not related, or the same company. Current production Queen knives are not related to Queen knives made 6 years ago. Queen /Schatt & Morgn went bankrupt a couple years ago. the Queen and Queen City brands are owned by the same company that owns Rough Ryder and Marbles. TheSchatt & Morgan name is owned by some other company. (they are at least two years late from their original planned re-introducion of the brand.)

When Cold Steel recently sold out to whoever, the Thompson era knives lost their warrantee. That includes the products in dealer and distributor inventory, and the items at the various CS contract manufacturing facilities yet to be shipped out.)
That’s not true, at least on paper. They still claim to guarantee all Cold Steel knives.

That’s not true, at least on paper. They still claim to guarantee all Cold Steel knives.
not what I heard. No matter ... I just figured my KUDU, KUDU Lite, and FINN BEAR I have with me lost their warranty with the sale from what I red here.
I'm pretty sure my CS .625 big bore blowguns outlived any gurantee there was when new.
(unless the guarantee was "We guantee this is a blowgun." 😇👍)

I checked the website this morning. No updates on production dates or location of production. This was still on the home page:

"Ontario Knife Company has been purchased and relocated to Virginia.
Please pardon our disruption in service while the relocation is completed.
We will be in contact with you as soon as OKC is open for business again."

not what I heard. No matter ... I just figured my KUDU, KUDU Lite, and FINN BEAR I have with me lost their warranty with the sale from what I red here.
I'm pretty sure my CS .625 big bore blowguns outlived any gurantee there was when new.
(unless the guarantee was "We guantee this is a blowgun." 😇👍)
Along with their knives, pre and post GSM non-knife items have a lifetime warranty against defects.

Why would the new owner warrantee/guarantee something he had less than nothing to do with manufacturing?
To be honest, I've never heard of such happening. If you have, please tell who.
Warranties are liabilities. Depending on the type of acquisition, liabilities may be part of what's acquired. Whether the new owner manufactured the product is irrelevant. As you must be aware, many sellers of own-branded goods don't manufacture anything these days anyway.

Examples of acquisitions where the buyer was on the hook for existing warranties, since you asked:
- HP's acquisition of Compaq
- Microsoft's acquisition of a Nokia division
- Whielpool's acquisition of Maytag
- Google's acquisition of a Motorola division
- Amazon's acquisition of Ring

Back