Ontario Rat-3/Esee-3 Knife Scales, Compatibility??

Just scored a great deal on a Rat-3 with kydex sheath, just curious if the scales for a Esee-3 will interchange or directly bolt on to the Rat-3? Seems to be a lot more readily available parts for the Esse 3 then the Ontario. Mine has the tan colored Micarta scales, if I can't find replacements may just try dying them, wanting a black on black setup. Thanks.

I know this probably doesnt help, but I ordered Junglas scales for my RTAKII and they werent even close to fitting. The bolt pattern was completely different.

I just figured this out the hard way.

I had a set of brand new ESEE 4 black linen micarta handles with red liners.

Since the ESEE 3 and 4 both use the same exact handles, I thought I would order an Ontario RAT-3 and dress it up
with the ESEE handles.

WRONG!

The ESEE handles are longer, use larger diameter screws, and the hole pattern is not the same.

Just scored a great deal on a Rat-3 with kydex sheath, just curious if the scales for a Esee-3 will interchange or directly bolt on to the Rat-3? Seems to be a lot more readily available parts for the Esse 3 then the Ontario. Mine has the tan colored Micarta scales, if I can't find replacements may just try dying them, wanting a black on black setup. Thanks.
I've dyed all my micarta grips and they look awesome,the factory micarta varies in color some look dirty and they do get dirty ,use Rit dye ,I boiled it and let them go 20 minutes then when dried I use boiled linseed oil as a final.touch and a sealant

Back