Opinion on Swiss Army Alox Soldier vs Farmer vs Electrician?

I prefer the farmer over the other two, just because I use the saw so much. SAK saws work really well and I am regularly trimming bushes back from the house and out the way of where I use my telescope. I taken down a 12 foot nut tree with one of those little saws.

I still use the can opener rather then those infernal electric can openers, just because they are the bane of my existence and I can never use them properly. The odd thing is I am an electrical engineer by trade and can master all sorts of stuff but that damn can opener at my mother in law's house.

I also like the lanyard ability where if I am out working I will hook it to my belt loop.

Sure it is a little wider and weighs 16 grams more than the other two, and the electrician one is quite handy for me at times, but the farmer has better tools for me around the house and garden.

I also carry the OHT though. If there was only an alox version of that...

I have to admit that I don't understand the need for the electrition.

If there is wire stripping to do, and you don't want to mess up the ege of you knife blade, just use the edge of the awl. It's chisel ground, very sharp, and works well as an auxilury blade. It's why the cutting edge is on there from the Swiss Army Design guys.

I never have had a farmer. Way back when I was a boy scout, we had this ex-marine scout master, and he showed us how to take down a small sappling or cut a branch off a tree by cutting a V groove around the wood to act as a stress line, then just bend it till it breaks off right where the groove is.

I guess I've always got by with my old Wenger SI. It's the sak that's the closest to my old Camillus boy scout knife I grew up with.

Carl.

I do electrical work , along with low voltage security / video wiring . I like the skinning blade on the E. and E+ . works well for general utility , and slitting the jackets of multicables . Length and shape are quite similar to the Bell systems cable skinning knives , with the added advantage of the scallop .

Chris

Farmer - hands down for me. I use the saw frequently, and always have something to open cans with. I already have an E, and plan on adding an E+ soon. I do like the strength of the sheepsfoot blade. Regardless of preference, I cant stop the addiction. Just today I bought four different models of the Safari line. My EDC is a XLT.

Back