Opinions on Victorinox Climber/Spartan

The Swiss Climber came in today and boy are my finger nails tired. It's a bit thicker than I expected but for $19 shipped it feels like a great deal. The main blade came super sharp, but the secondary one seems like it needs a little touching up.
Give it a lot of touching up, I always like to have a super sharp small blade, it comes in real handy for fine work.

IMO, people always over-emphasize factory sharpness. Personally, I've only ever seen one knife that was sharp enough from the factory - a Kershaw Junkyard Dog 2 I purchased as a gift for my daughter. Seems I always end up sharpening brand new knives. Maybe I'm just too fussy.
But wow, I'm gonna have to get used to my nails being torn up.
Give it time. Work it in, keep it clean & oiled, and you'll notice a difference shortly.

In 37 years you'll be complaining it's too loose :D

Thanks for the tips Bill. What type of grind does an SAK have? Time to get some mineral oil to lube th is guy up.

Whenever I get a new SAK with the factory edge still on it, I just strop it a bit until it's sharp enough for my taste. Inevitably, after some long time of use it gets too dull to just strop, and then I use a Lansky tool to set the edge that I prefer and then strop it to desired sharpness.
- Tim

i have a victorinox 'rucksack'... still going strong holds a keen edge with little effort and has all the bits i need for everyday occurrences... toothpick and tweezers are genious as all the things we do with outdoor knives result either in splinters in the fingers or splintery bones between the teeth... actually the victorinox knives, i think, are what started it all off for me :)

Back