Ordered a Vic Spirit Plus *questions*

Thanks to you guys and your experience and insite I have pulled the trigger on a new Multi tool.
The tool its self looks magnificent, but the deal maker was the screwdriver bits and wrench.
So.. The wrench, does it ratchet or is it fixed? Those are standard 1/4" bits right?
Does anybody EDC the tool and bits? I just imagine it being bulky, but would appreciate some real world comments.
I got it from EBAY for $69, I think that was pretty decent pricing.:)

The Spirit is sold with two different wrenchs: one ratchets, the other doesn't. The ratchet version seems harder to find; if the seller didn't say which yours is, I'd guess it's the regular non-ratchet wrench.

The ratchet wrench is impressive. The head is very small, with a hex hole that goes all the way through. It's not reversible; to change direction, you pull the biit out, flip over the wrench, and put the bit in the other side. The other end of the wrench has a non-ratcheting hex socket in the end, for more screwdriver-ish uses. Very simple, very effective, very Victorinox. ;)

Yes, they're standard 1/4" bits. There are several empty slots in the bot holder, too, so you can add ones from the hardware store. Note, though, that only "stubby" (1") bits will fit in the sheath in the bit holder; but if you want to carry them separatly, you can use longer bits with the wrench if desired.

The sheath, with bit holder and wrench, is big and bulky. It's my only real complaint* with the Spirit. Even my Leatherman Charge TI, in the leather sheath with it's bit kit, carries more compactly; the Spirit sheath is thicker (sticks out further from my belt) than even my LM Surge!

I think Victorinox sells a slimmer sheath that'll hold just the Spirit, sans bit holder and wrench. I don't have one; when I carry the Spirit and don't think I'll need the bits, I use my old original Wave leather sheath. It fits very well.

(* Not that I don't have a few minor ones. The scissors are mechanically a big improvement over the old leaf-spring design, but a bit small; the Euro-sheeple-friendly knife blade is a waste, but I usually carry a real knife anyway; and the file, as usual, doesn't cut nearly as fast as my Leatherman ones. :thumbdn:

Now, if Vic would make the scissors bigger, stop chroming their files and add diamond to one side, and put both a point and a thumb stud on the knife blade, they'd have a real winner!! :thumbup: )

Thanks Gryffin!

I just sent more money for faster shipping, I really need this thing in my hands..

On the equipped site, it said an extension would replace the corkscrew on the Spirit Plus, so I'm holding out for that model.

That's a very nice tool you have coming Pydpiper. I was also considering buying that tool. I ended up purchasing the regular Swiss Tool which is a lot bigger in size than the Spirit. Give us a report on how it works.

I will, I work my tools pretty hard and will be putting this thing through some pretty tough days. Until now I have been using a Gerber 400, two years... I ran it throught the dishwasher yesterday and you would never know it was used.. I have a spot on my belt just waiting for the Vic..
I just detest the anticipation of shipment..:)
KTMGUY said:
That's a very nice tool you have coming Pydpiper. I was also considering buying that tool. I ended up purchasing the regular Swiss Tool which is a lot bigger in size than the Spirit. Give us a report on how it works.

Got it today.. Matter of fact it's still cold from the Fed-ex truck..
First impression, I'm going to have to start working out, this thing is big! I was counting on that, and am very happy with it's size.
The part I don't like, and it's a fairly big concern, is that the jaws don't lock, I can't use them to spread.. I'll get over it.
This thing is built like a tank, all blades/tools glide in and out of the Vic with minimal effort, and the fit and finish are terrific. Not sure if I want to put it on my belt or hang it on the wall.. Who am I kidding, it's already on my belt.

Pydpiper said:
Got it today.. Matter of fact it's still cold from the Fed-ex truck..
First impression, I'm going to have to start working out, this thing is big! I was counting on that, and am very happy with it's size.
The part I don't like, and it's a fairly big concern, is that the jaws don't lock, I can't use them to spread.. I'll get over it.
This thing is built like a tank, all blades/tools glide in and out of the Vic with minimal effort, and the fit and finish are terrific. Not sure if I want to put it on my belt or hang it on the wall.. Who am I kidding, it's already on my belt.

If you think the spirit is big you should try a std swisstool ;)

Dunc

Congrats on the purchase!

I've been EDCing one for several months with bits and wrench, and most of the time, I don't even know it's there. Sometimes when i'm sitting down in a large seat, it'll poke me, but that usually just takes a quick adjustment of it's belt position, and I'm good to go!

Pydpiper & Carpdiem,

What do you guys think about the combi- edge blade?

Does the bit wrench attach to the tool for use?

Do the scissors cut well?

KTMguy.

I like the combi-edge blade. For most cutting purposes, I use a plain-edge folder that I also EDC. Sometimes if I need to cut rope or somesuch, the serrated edge on the spirit is nice.

There is no wrench attachment on the spirit. The wrench tool has, however, two ends allowing you a high torque, or lower torque mode (but allowing you to access more difficult screws).

The scissors cut very well. They're probably the best designed scissors I've ever seen on a multi-tool or SAK.

The scissores do cut well, a tad small in the opening but if it fits in, it can be cut.
The wrench not having to be connected to the tool is a blessing.. It is like having 2 separate tools. For example, yesterday I was dragging some trees with a chain, the safety latch on the hook jammed and needed to be removed so I could dump the load, I was far from any other tools. The fastener was a nut and screw, highly damaged from abuse. I held the nut with the wrench and of course spun the screw with the driver, couldn't have been done with a single tool.:thumbup:
I have made a small modification to the tool as well, it is proving to be quite an asset, I make a thread when I get a chance.
This tool has changed the way I approach a day.

Pydpiper said:
I have made a small modification to the tool as well, it is proving to be quite an asset, I make a thread when I get a chance.
This tool has changed the way I approach a day.

popcorn.gif

Back