Ordered S30V but got shipped CTS-XHP....

Ordered a dark earth handled DLC S30v but knife center usa sent one with a CTS-XHP blade. Send it back or keep it?

Ordered a dark earth handled DLC S30v but knife center usa sent one with a CTS-XHP blade. Send it back or keep it?
Howdy,
Well for what it is worth...Ankerson ranks it higher in edge retention than S30V. Just saying..
Cheers

I'd say keep it. You can always get another Gunhammer in the standard steel -- now S35VN, previously S30V -- but the CTS-XHP is a limited run of 600 knives that'll eventually dry up. Plus CTS-XHP, being relatively uncommon on production knives, would probably increase the resale value/demand if you decide to let it go down the road (for instance if you're able to snag one of the high-HRC S90V forum Gunhammers and decide to sell this one).

I'm assuming it's a more expensive knife than the s30v. If you got charged the s30v price and you recieved the more expensive cts-xhp you should let them know and pay the difference or return it for the original s30v. I think that would be the honest thing to do.

I emailed knife country usa to let them know about the mix up. These knives are the same price on their site per email conversation so I decided to keep it. My next purchase might be the M390 from knife center d/t the HRC being in the "sweet spot" as I have read here. DDR emailed me back but from the pricing I definitely could tell that it would have been a custom, even at my simple specs, and that's not exactly what I am looking for at this time. Just 2 EDC's basically with great modern steel.

Neuron, I emailed you a few pictures of the knife to ensure that it is not a replica. I doubt that it is d/t knife country usa's Amazon ratings but you never know these days. Knife dealer's at gun shows are selling counterfeit Benchmade Infidel's.........

Neuron, I emailed you a few pictures of the knife to ensure that it is not a replica. I doubt that it is d/t knife country usa's Amazon ratings but you never know these days. Knife dealer's at gun shows are selling counterfeit Benchmade Infidel's.........
Just checked out the pics you sent -- it's genuine.

I'd rather have the XHP than S30V. S30V is a nice steel, but I wouldn't mind trying some Carpenter steel. Sounds like a good mixup!

My apologies, I went back and rechecked Ankerson's testing and at the exact same HRC the S30V had the better edge retention. Results of the head to head cutting test can be found in the review and testing area.
Of course, that is only one point to consider.
Best...

Landon,
It all boils down to your call. The testing showed the S30V with a little better than a 20% better edge retention result. But, that is only one point of consideration. You are not going to go "wrong" either way.
Best..

I wish the handle would have been a darker anno like the stock photo. It looks gold... as far as the blade steel, I know it will do me well for general use. Can anyone recommend some sharpening materials? maybe a stone i could carry on me for touch ups?

There are of course, as many approaches to sharpening as a cat has hairs. My main system is the Edge Pro Apex. If I were buying one today, I would probably contact Mark at Chef Knive to Go and get a Apex with his Shapton stones rather than go with the factory stones supplied by Ben Dale, who is btw, one great guy to do business with.
Best...

Keep in mind I am new to nice knives when I ask questions. This is my first HTM knife. I had never even heard of the name before I somehow stumbled across it. I was a Benchmade fan boy if anything because when I served that is what was issued and they were "pricey" so I figured they had to be good. I'll def promote HTM to all my buddies d/t the higher quality from here on out. Does anyone know what the HRC is of XHP in the blade that I have and what the best HRC for that particular steel is? Ankerson's test was at 60 HRC if I am not mistaken. Also, it seems that people don't talk about S30v in the manner I would expect them to. It out performed XHP from Ankerson's test. What gives XHP such a good name if the makers were not able to out perform a known steel?

Landon,
Many people do not take the time to become familiar with testing results, preferring to stick with their fellings or instinct. Also, S30V has been around now for a while and some people like jumping on the latest flavor of the week just to get something new for their collections. S30V and its close cousin S35V represent good performance for the price point. Glad to see you are reading Ankerson's work. Some of the true legends in this game regularly contribute their imput to his postings.
Cheers...

For me it started about a year ago when I almost paid too much for a watch (CX Swiss Military 12,000ft dive watch). Ever since then I have been a research junkie that likes to get the most for my money compared to materials and overhead costs in production. I feel that the price point of $196 for the S30v and CTS-XHP gunhammer is good. I am very interested in the M390 gunhammer but feel that its price point may be a little out of my own reasoning at $325 for what it is. Would I be wrong? Is M390 so much better that is commands a price point of $125 more than S30v or CTS-XHP, for what I can currently get the older knives for that is?

Last edited:
Landon,
It all depends on how hard you are going to use it. Both will cut a piece of paper when new right?
Take money out of the consideration process for a moment. What would meet your needs? In reality few "need" the high end steel. Few need multiple knives that address the same usage. But some of us have the passion, the fever of collecting. I too love the research aspect. Also, as a end user, not a tester if you will, I like knowing what is in my hands. I have actually been in a situation where the only thing I had that saved my life was a knife. The ONLY thing. Also, I have dressed elk in the field so when a guy like Phil Wilson speaks, I listen. I ordered a custom CPM 3V this week and knew from Phil's ground breaking work that the HRC from the maker was behind the curve on heat treat and was able to obtain a agreement to have it raised. The second run of Darrel's M390 blades for Knifecenter are interesting. I wonder if the first run was at 62 or if Darrel requested the hardness to be increased. If both CPM S90V and M390 are at the same hardness the S90V will out cut the M390 every time per testing results, although both are top tier steels. I really look forward to more makers using CPM S110V with their folders in the future. Oh...I too have multiple watches. It is a bad affliction.
Cheers...

Back