Oregon Knife Collectors Association Knife Show April 13th - 14th Eugene, Or

Last day of the show!

Sorry guys (and gals)! The wifey is home with the sick kiddo, so I’m running the table solo this time. I haven’t had much time to check BF (or take pictures for that matter), but I’ll catch up when I get home.

So far, the show has been a blast! The knives are amazing, of course…. But the conversation! Just wow. Absolutely superlative company.

First, a little shot to show you the scope of the show (not my pic).

View attachment 2550760

Friday night, waynorth waynorth , knowtracks knowtracks , @kershawguy, Rhidian Rhidian , @gunstockjack, myself, and a more (I think there were thirteen of us!) went out to a wonderful steak dinner. Many fantastic conversations were had!

You may recognize a few of these handsome gents. :)

View attachment 2550784

The legend, Mr. Ed Schemp himself! Holding the ELEVEN 1” thick pieces rope he managed to cut with a single swipe! He is hilarious. Trying to separate the myth from reality is impossible. 😂

View attachment 2550787

I ran into H herder and had some great conversation with him. Of course I had to grab Neal’s book on Boker’s when I saw one for sale!

View attachment 2550800

Our boy, Rhidian Rhidian won himself a few awards!

View attachment 2550807
View attachment 2550802
View attachment 2550813

Gotta throw in a shot of my table, of course. 😂

View attachment 2550812

Charlie gifted me with one of his excellent hats!

View attachment 2550814

And I’m lucky enough to get to go home with this little beauty!

View attachment 2550815

All in all, it has been an overwhelming magnificent experience! It’s be my absolute pleasure to meet to many of you at the show!
Wow it looks like a lot of fun,thanks for posting the photos and report.

I was expecting those Porchers to be a lot older than that. :cool:

Wow!!!
Exciting, Looks like Rhidianneeds a new nick name- "The Sweeper" possibly? Because he sweeps up all the competition!

That Safety Knife is something I could look at all day! 😍

Thank you for the photo's and hope to see more coming in! Great to see some familiar Faces!

Great show! So many amazing old traditionals for sale. I told myself I would take pics on my 2nd run-through but alas I was beat and frankly a bit overwhelmed and went to take a nap & forgot about pics. Great score on that green burl Rhidian, it was glorious!

I was able to visit with Fixall Fixall real quick, lots to see. Went with my friends and family, passed through a couple times. Really good show, showed up just after opening and stayed half the day.

Never ceases to amaze that Eric Glesser is so approachable. Everyone at the show was happy to talk but when it comes to the bigger vendors, Spyderco has been there every time I've been there and happy to talk to you. I always found it funny that Benchmade is 2 hours away and I don't think I've ever seen them here. I ended up picking up a Paysan from Eric at a pretty good price.

I’ll preface this post by saying that I did a terrible job taking pictures this weekend, but I did get a couple here and there, so what you get is what you get. 😁

I had a great time at the Oregon show — not only my first time at the show, but my first time in the state of Oregon! It was awesome getting to meet up in person with so many folks I’ve known online for years, and while the weekend really felt like it flew by, I’m grateful for the amount of time I got to spend at the show browsing knives and, even better, talking with old and new friends.

Saturday was definitely busy!

aCcSfLx.jpg

There were some cool displays at the show (and, of course, I didn’t take pics of most of them). I thought this one with countertop knife displays was really interesting.

s6J51gE.jpg

Here’s knowtracks knowtracks impressive Schatt & Morgan display. In addition to having a great collection, Dave is a lot of fun to talk with.

XKOWDKA.jpg

I bought a couple knives on Saturday, an older Opinel and a Camillus What-A-Knife (I can’t ever pass one of those up for a reasonable price).

Pv84CUO.jpg

And Charlie gave me this beautiful Opinel in Black Palm wood! Thank you again, Charlie! :thumbsup:

uy8d4jd.jpg

Getting to see and handle this knife was absolutely a highlight of the show, and I enjoyed talking with Rhidian Rhidian about some of the processes that went into making it.

xF7JTU1.jpg

All in all I had a great time in Oregon. Thanks to H herder for finally talking me into going. I think I’m going to have to come back next year!

Just a couple pics from around town.

3mQj906.jpg

iWcSKUR.jpg

HwV78Ga.jpg

Mac's Knives!! The first Remington (top) is near-mint, with the original etch!!Macs B.JPGMacs A.jpgMacs knives 1.jpgMacs knives 2.jpgMacs knives 3.jpgMacs knives 4.jpg
The Story!!
I didn't buy many knives at Oregon this year, but I could not pass up this collection!!!
It turns out Mac collected Harness Jacks before I did!! A bunch appeared on a site called "Vintage Knives" in about 2004, and I was buying them like crazy from Billy, the site's owner! I found out on Saturday that they were coming from a Guy named "Mac", who has been following my HJ story since the beginning!! He showed up in Oregon, and offered me the last of his diminished collection - five knives - in a handmade leather roll!! So here I am buying knives, HJs, again, from the same guy, 20 years later!! What a happening for me!! And for "Mac"!!!
We chatted for over an hour, sitting behind my table, and that was the best part!!

Ahem!!
I did buy another knife also!! This one won Best Miniature Knife for Rhidian!!!
3 cm long (just over 1 inch!!), it's no ordinary Barlow!! It has Mammoth Handles, and a Damascus Blade and Spring!!!Mini Barlow 1.jpgMini Barlow 2.jpg
Tony Bose R.I.P, made a peanut, and vowed he'd never make such a small knife again!!! 😂

I’ll preface this post by saying that I did a terrible job taking pictures this weekend, but I did get a couple here and there, so what you get is what you get. 😁

I had a great time at the Oregon show — not only my first time at the show, but my first time in the state of Oregon! It was awesome getting to meet up in person with so many folks I’ve known online for years, and while the weekend really felt like it flew by, I’m grateful for the amount of time I got to spend at the show browsing knives and, even better, talking with old and new friends.

aCcSfLx.jpg

There were some cool displays at the show (and, of course, I didn’t take pics of most of them). I thought this one with countertop knife displays was really interesting.

s6J51gE.jpg

Here’s knowtracks knowtracks impressive Schatt & Morgan display. In addition to having a great collection, Dave is a lot of fun to talk with.

XKOWDKA.jpg

I bought a couple knives on Saturday, an older Opinel and a Camillus What-A-Knife (I can’t ever pass one of those up for a reasonable price).

Pv84CUO.jpg

And Charlie gave me this beautiful Opinel in Black Palm wood! Thank you again, Charlie! :thumbsup:

uy8d4jd.jpg

Getting to see and handle this knife was absolutely a highlight of the show, and I enjoyed talking with Rhidian Rhidian about some of the processes that went into making it.

xF7JTU1.jpg

All in all I had a great time in Oregon. Thanks to H herder for finally talking me into going. I think I’m going to have to come back next year!

3mQj906.jpg

iWcSKUR.jpg

HwV78Ga.jpg

Sorry I missed you, Barrett. For some reason, I didn't connect the dots in terms of expecting you. I was only able to spend a couple of hours at the show on Saturday. We broke for lunch and then I couldn't return due to my wife's mother heading to the hospital with a heart attack. She is well, but it cut my visit short and I was unable to catch everyone for goodbyes.

Highlight of the show for me is always connecting to online friends, meeting new ones, and putting faces to names. Of course, seeing Rhidian again with his amazing work is becoming an annual highlight all its own. I can't wait to hear how well that Marbles style folding hunter does at Blade Show this year - it truly is a spectacular piece in ever sense of the word. The craftsmanship, the beautiful materials, and the attention to detail; all simply out of this world. His awards are all well deserved.

Mac's Knives!! The first Remington (top) is near-mint, with the original etch!!View attachment 2551623View attachment 2551624View attachment 2551625View attachment 2551626View attachment 2551627View attachment 2551628
The Story!!
I didn't buy many knives at Oregon this year, but I could not pass up this collection!!!
It turns out Mac collected Harness Jacks before I did!! A bunch appeared on a site called "Vintage Knives" in about 2004, and I was buying them like crazy from Billy, the site's owner! I found out on Saturday that they were coming from a Guy named "Mac", who has been following my HJ story since the beginning!! He showed up in Oregon, and offered me the last of his diminished collection - five knives - in a handmade leather roll!! So here I am buying knives, HJs, again, from the same guy, 20 years later!! What a happening for me!! And for "Mac"!!!
We chatted for over an hour, sitting behind my table, and that was the best part!!
WOW!!! In every detail about this post WOW!

Great show! So many amazing old traditionals for sale. I told myself I would take pics on my 2nd run-through but alas I was beat and frankly a bit overwhelmed and went to take a nap & forgot about pics. Great score on that green burl Rhidian, it was glorious!
I emphasise 100% with you,thats how I tend to do things nowadays.

The old fogeys club,its very exclusive you know. 😁

aCcSfLx.jpg

s6J51gE.jpg

XKOWDKA.jpg

Pv84CUO.jpg

uy8d4jd.jpg

xF7JTU1.jpg

3mQj906.jpg

iWcSKUR.jpg

HwV78Ga.jpg
Cracking photos looks like a interesting place to visit.

Mac's Knives!! The first Remington (top) is near-mint, with the original etch!!View attachment 2551623View attachment 2551624View attachment 2551625View attachment 2551626View attachment 2551627View attachment 2551628
The Story!!
What an amzing story/coincidence and some cracking looking HJs.😍

aCcSfLx.jpg

s6J51gE.jpg

XKOWDKA.jpg

Pv84CUO.jpg

uy8d4jd.jpg

xF7JTU1.jpg

3mQj906.jpg

iWcSKUR.jpg

HwV78Ga.jpg

Thanks for the pictures ! 👍

The Story!!

Great story and fantastic HJ's ! 😍

Back