Osprey Knife and Tool Shop Talk and Information Swap

Just wanted to show off the new design Kiridashi Guard I got from Eric. It fits great, holds the blade securely with the RE magnets, but it isn't too difficult to draw. It allows me to comfortably carry this super sharp blade in my pocket. :thumbup:;)

I really like how smart and crafty the knife community it on here this is a great example of someone filling a gap.wwith an Ingenious Idea. I have a few Kiridashi's coming up here soon!
Thanks for sharing this

U2PcvB7.jpg

My constant carry !

I have really enjoyed seeing your Instagram page grow and ypur Pictures evolve over time thank you for sharing these on here for the rest to see

Latest Work in progress
Apache EDC in Thunderstorm Kevlar
Apache EDC Black canvas Micarta (Not for sale)
Ranger is also in Thunderstorm kevlar
Apache Hunter in Bocote (Not for sale)

=http://public.fotki.com/Ospreyknifeandtool/osprey-knife-and-tool-/img-20160213-170749-jpg.html]
5fdagmBvxHZpi9fmhUXcUlQx2ybOjV-vi.jpg
[/URL]Hosted on Fotki

:thumbup: Great looking blades Chris! I especially like the Apache Hunter in Bocote.

Just finished these up today Just need to be sharpened and Marked
2 are already claimed as of now pending funds.
75.00$ a piece. ( All Sold) as of 0800am 2/17/16
PM me if anyone is interested in the other two

=http://public.fotki.com/Ospreyknifeandtool/osprey-knife-and-tool-/img-20160216-170553-jpg.html]
opI5NOzlrwiVWhINxp729RNn21kTIn-vi.jpg
[/URL]Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:
Buy those 'Dashi's folks. Some of the best carving blades you'll ever get your hands on, bar none. I own one for each hand and speak from first hand experience. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only one left folks they are flying out of my hands bottom one is the only one still available

Last edited:
So here is my half way review of the new Osprey Recon.

This blade has quickly skyrocketed to the top of my favorites list. The handle and balance point make this thing feel like a 4" blade in the hand instead of a 6 incher. The balance point, unlike most tapered tangs, actually sits just a hair in front of the handle keeping it from feeling too front heavy. It's not so neutral though that you can't make a decent chop with it either. It really is my Goldilocks spot.

The handle shape fits my hand like a glove, just tight enough to make you feel really secure but not tight enough to cramp up your grip either. The palm swell sits perfectly and isn't so overdone as to make bulge your grip. The butt of the handle has a nice flair that secures your hand for heavy swings but can also be used in between your fingers when choking back to get some serious chopping leverage.

The Recon has an ever so slight recurve to the blade, that when paired with the slightly forward balance and the flared butt, make this a formidable chopper for such a thin blade in this size range. It also makes it quite easy to keep the first 1" or so of your blade nice and sharp for tasks like making curls to get a fire started. I'm not the best at this (I actually downright suck at it lol) but even I was able to get some nice tight curls going, after having tried it out as a chopper.

The edge held nicely after chipping up some Cocoa Lumber but didn't stay sharp enough to shave with or slice paper cleanly. I really believe though that this mostly comes down to the blade cleaving clean through the wood and slamming into my workbench underneath. There was a lot of energy being transferred into that small edge that I started with. It did clean up quickly and easily though and readily took a nice polish.

Overall I am extremely happy with this blade and it will be accompanying me from now on when we take trips to the great outdoors. Over the years I've gotten stuck in a rut finding nothing that was making me excited. In fact my interest in knives was starting to diminish until I got this bad boy in my hands. I initially bought it on a whim thinking that I would just shelve it and possibly sell it to a customer some day but now I know that it will be one of the last blades to ever leave my collection or shop. It's always a great feeling when you get to handle something that brings a bit of excitement back into your hobby and this one certainly did that!

Well, enough rambling from me. Here are a few photo's from my (very) mini review and a few glamour shots taken before the major chopping started.

So here is my half way review of the new Osprey Recon.

This blade has quickly skyrocketed to the top of my favorites list. The handle and balance point make this thing feel like a 4" blade in the hand instead of a 6 incher. The balance point, unlike most tapered tangs, actually sits just a hair in front of the handle keeping it from feeling too front heavy. It's not so neutral though that you can't make a decent chop with it either. It really is my Goldilocks spot.

The handle shape fits my hand like a glove, just tight enough to make you feel really secure but not tight enough to cramp up your grip either. The palm swell sits perfectly and isn't so overdone as to make bulge your grip. The butt of the handle has a nice flair that secures your hand for heavy swings but can also be used in between your fingers when choking back to get some serious chopping leverage.

The Recon has an ever so slight recurve to the blade, that when paired with the slightly forward balance and the flared butt, make this a formidable chopper for such a thin blade in this size range. It also makes it quite easy to keep the first 1" or so of your blade nice and sharp for tasks like making curls to get a fire started. I'm not the best at this (I actually downright suck at it lol) but even I was able to get some nice tight curls going, after having tried it out as a chopper.

The edge held nicely after chipping up some Cocoa Lumber but didn't stay sharp enough to shave with or slice paper cleanly. I really believe though that this mostly comes down to the blade cleaving clean through the wood and slamming into my workbench underneath. There was a lot of energy being transferred into that small edge that I started with. It did clean up quickly and easily though and readily took a nice polish.

Overall I am extremely happy with this blade and it will be accompanying me from now on when we take trips to the great outdoors. Over the years I've gotten stuck in a rut finding nothing that was making me excited. In fact my interest in knives was starting to diminish until I got this bad boy in my hands. I initially bought it on a whim thinking that I would just shelve it and possibly sell it to a customer some day but now I know that it will be one of the last blades to ever leave my collection or shop. It's always a great feeling when you get to handle something that brings a bit of excitement back into your hobby and this one certainly did that!

Well, enough rambling from me. Here are a few photo's from my (very) mini review and a few glamour shots taken before the major chopping started.

Thank you for sharing your Pictures and Thoughts. The Pictures are Exciting to look at for me and to hear your point of view.
Your Description of the nuances were great. I like the way you conveyed the aspects of the knife that are key but not so obvious. It took me quite of bit of time to design this knife and I put alot of emphasis on squeezing as much performance out of that blade size as I can.
To Hear and see someone enjoy my creation is the greatest reward for me as a Knifemaker.
I look forward to making more of these.
I hope you continue to enjoy it and it serves you for years to come!

I would like to hear others people thoughts of the knife in the Review. I will answer questions as well when I can find the time to pop in here and reply

Last edited:
So here is my half way review of the new Osprey Recon....
received_10154003691497302_zps00vqdecc.jpeg
[/URL]

Nice review man. Very well stated. That Recon is bad ass. I got to handle one of the blanks in the works and knew it was going to be sweet. I would have loved that knife in my days of wandering the everglades. I love the weight forward design for power combined with the slight recurve for fine work. I also love the handle shape. I have Chris' tester on the fighter that he did that I think he is going to call the Ferox. I have been playing with it some here and there. The handle is very similar and it feels very organic, just melts into hand. I also really love the way the handle material comes down onto the guard and is part of it. I find the narrowness of integral guards to be painful in repeated thrusts in penetration resistant materials. I have fractured my pinkie a couple of times testing knives with integral guards in that type scenario.

Back