Osprey Nest Mung Thread

Yes. Missed the single Vilmark!

Sorry about that, I only made one because I did not anticipate many people wanting one with a swedge. I am going to open my books up again after these. So please do not give up. I also hope to try and maintain an informal wishlist again to give me an idea of what peole are looking for.

Shoot me an email at ospreyknifeandtool@gmail.com with your request and I will put you on a waiting list for the next go round.;)

Sorry about that, I only made one because I did not anticipate many people wanting one with a swedge. I am going to open my books up again after these. So please do not give up. I also hope to try and maintain an informal wishlist again to give me an idea of what peole are looking for.

Shoot me an email at ospreyknifeandtool@gmail.com with your request and I will put you on a waiting list for the next go round.;)

I'm so glad someone sniped the swedged Vilmark. Once I saw that there was a swedged one I thought I was going to have to agonize over whether to get it or a Lil Ferox, but fate has helped decide for me.

Chris, early thoughts for my Ferox (awesome name for that model, btw, love it!) are that I would love some California buckeye burl with black micarta bolster. Is it do-able?

Chris, early thoughts for my Ferox (awesome name for that model, btw, love it!) are that I would love some California buckeye burl with black micarta bolster. Is it do-able?

Thank you! @mistwalker suggested the name a few years back, I liked it and it stuck! Pun intended. :D

That is very do-able, and a mighty fine selection! Single or Double Bolster?

Thank you! @mistwalker suggested the name a few years back, I liked it and it stuck! Pun intended. :D

That is very do-able, and a mighty fine selection! Single or Double Bolster?
Wow, hadn’t even considered a double bolster!!! Would we be able to do something like a 1/8 bolster at each end if going for the double? It’s hard for me to visualize what would look good, actually, having not seen an example of something with this handle profile in a similar configuration.

Also, I’m still not even sure yet that these materials would be my final choice, but if we did go with the buckeye, there is a lot of potential variance in the darkness of the wood. I generally prefer the lighter buckeye burl, and that would be awesome with black micarta, but if it was a darker batch, something like tera cotta might be better.

Wow, hadn’t even considered a double bolster!!! Would we be able to do something like a 1/8 bolster at each end if going for the double? It’s hard for me to visualize what would look good, actually, having not seen an example of something with this handle profile in a similar configuration.

Also, I’m still not even sure yet that these materials would be my final choice, but if we did go with the buckeye, there is a lot of potential variance in the darkness of the wood. I generally prefer the lighter buckeye burl, and that would be awesome with black micarta, but if it was a darker batch, something like tera cotta might be better.

I have only made single bolsters on that profile so far,
A double bolster would end up looking similar to this.
I have some varying pieces of Buckeye, I do not have any Terra Cotta on hand.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Wasn’t sure where to put this, but wanted to give a big shout out to @Coach23 who offered to send me his Warthog (Glowhog) to try it out no strings attached. Of course, once I had it to EDC a little, I fell in love with it and realized I had to make it official. A great guy who trusted this random internet stranger to not simply make off with his awesome cutlery, didn’t pressure me at any point to let him know if I was going to pay him for it, and offered too good of a deal on top of that.

Always feels great to make new friends around here. Thanks again, brother!

Wasn’t sure where to put this, but wanted to give a big shout out to @Coach23 who offered to send me his Warthog (Glowhog) to try it out no strings attached. Of course, once I had it to EDC a little, I fell in love with it and realized I had to make it official. A great guy who trusted this random internet stranger to not simply make off with his awesome cutlery, didn’t pressure me at any point to let him know if I was going to pay him for it, and offered too good of a deal on top of that.

That was pretty cool and generous, I too find the people in this community (Knife community) to be extremely generous and open. I have made many friends through knives. The fact you got a knife and a friend out of the deal is even better! Thanks for sharing. :D:thumbsup:

This is good a place any IMO, you and anyone else are more than welcome to start a thread if you I have an idea or want to share something you believe deserves its own thread and doesn’t fit in one of the current ones.

That was pretty cool and generous, I too find the people in this community (Knife community) to be extremely generous and open. I have made many friends through knives. The fact you got a knife and a friend out of the deal is even better! Thanks for sharing. :D:thumbsup:

This is good a place any IMO, you and anyone else are more than welcome to start a thread if you I have an idea or want to share something you believe deserves its own thread and doesn’t fit in one of the current ones.
You’re right, Chris, tons of credit to all the awesome people and craftsmen and women in the community. If you think it’s a good use of space, I’d be happy to post these thoughts in an unofficial feedback thread such as the one in the Fiddleback forum.

You’re right, Chris, tons of credit to all the awesome people and craftsmen and women in the community. If you think it’s a good use of space, I’d be happy to post these thoughts in an unofficial feedback thread such as the one in the Fiddleback forum.

Have away at it!:D

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’m counting 17 orders so far...!

Does anyone have a pic of CF with blue in it? Not really sure what it looks like.
Sounds like it might look nice with some darker DIW burl...?

I’m counting 17 orders so far...!

Does anyone have a pic of CF with blue in it? Not really sure what it looks like.
Sounds like it might look nice with some darker DIW burl...?

I have room for more! ;):D

I have a picture somewhere on the threads, I made a Mamushi Blade Show 2017 with it, I will see if I can find it when I get home.

This goes in the other Mung thread :)

I have room for more! ;):D

I have a picture somewhere on the threads, I made a Mamushi Blade Show 2017 with it, I will see if I can find it when I get home.

This goes in the other Mung thread :)
Whoops! Sorry! Thought the other one was the wrong one... o_O

Back