OSS, SRK, Marauder, full tang?

can anyone tell me if the Cold steel models with the rubber handles are full tang? models like the OSS, SRK, Marauder, Boar hunter and so on. i'm guessing that they'd have to be since the handles are rubber lol.

if they are has anyone here stripped off the rubber and added a guard and nice scales or a piece of stag?

thanks!

Some pics swiped from the web.

OSS:
iu

SRK (top)
iu

:thumbsup:

edit: I couldn't find any pics with separate guards, but here's a pic of bfc member UCPOPO's SRK with custom G10 handle with integral guard (by Justin Gingrich, former owner of Ranger Knives):

photo2-1.jpg

Last edited:

OSS:
iu

SRK (top)
iu

edit: I couldn't find any pics with separate guards, but here's a pic of bfc member UCPOPO's SRK with custom G10 handle with integral guard (by Justin Gingrich, former owner of Ranger Knives):

photo2-1.jpg
Want that SRK!!
And I believe I remember reading that the Marauder bowie is in fact full tang. I may have actually seen that on their website description.

Want that SRK!!
And I believe I remember reading that the Marauder bowie is in fact full tang. I may have actually seen that on their website description.

The tang on the Marauder (or any of Cold Steel's full Kraton handled fixed blades) should look similar to the OSS or SRK. On a technical note, I hesitate to use the term "full tang" on these (someone's bound to bring it up:D), since in knife parlance the term denotes a tang that is the full length, width, and contour of the handle scales and is visible between the scales. Since the tangs on these knives are integral to the blades and run the full length of the handles, but are covered by the handles, I'd call them wide, full-length stick tangs. Whatever you call them, they are plenty beefy for any use you want to put them to, especially sincel CS started radiusing the shoulders a few years back. :thumbsup:

That’s awesome. I always wondered why the MB isn’t a more popular model. It’s on my long list of “ to buy” knives.

The tang on the Marauder (or any of Cold Steel's full Kraton handled fixed blades) should look similar to the OSS or SRK. On a technical note, I hesitate to use the term "full tang" on these (someone's bound to bring it up:D), since in knife parlance the term denotes a tang that is the full length, width, and contour of the handle scales and is visible between the scales. Since the tangs on these knives are integral to the blades and run the full length of the handles, but are covered by the handles, I'd call them wide, full-length stick tangs. Whatever you call them, they are plenty beefy for any use you want to put them to, especially sincel CS started radiusing the shoulders a few years back. :thumbsup:
Full hidden tang is the correct term I believe. There are 2 types, a full hidden stick tang, and a full hidden tang that actually is thick and wide enough to work well. Ontario is a good example. All of their Spec plus knives are full hidden tang with a Kraton over mould. I've seen pictures of the Ontario SP10 Marine Raider Bowie full hidden tang. It's beastly! Cold Steel's full hidden tangs are very good, but I wouldn't call them beastly.

OSS:
iu

SRK (top)
iu

photo2-1.jpg
What's the knife on the bottom in your tang picture?

If you watch the Joe X destruction test of the Marauder, you can see the full hidden tang at the end of the video. I take back what I said before. It's actually a pretty beastly full hidden tang.

If you watch the Joe X destruction test of the Marauder, you can see the full hidden tang at the end of the video. I take back what I said before. It's actually a pretty beastly full hidden tang.

BTW, I don't condone Joe X's ridiculous destruction tests. However, they are pretty informative on which knives perform, and which knives don't. He also usually uncovers the parts of the knives on which the manufacturers don't provide details.

Back