OT: Movie, DERSU AZALA, anyone seen it?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/video/6303196543/103-0427822-0397421

Sounds like I've succeeded in talking one of my kids into buying this for me for Christmas (yeah, I know...but I couldn't decide on anything I'd let them spend money on.)

"Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com essential video
During an unusual chapter in the career of director Akira Kurosawa (Rashomon), the filmmaker went to Russia because he found working in his native Japan to be too difficult. The result was this striking 1975 near-epic based on the turn-of-the-century autobiographical novels of a military explorer (Yuri Solomin) who met and befriended a Goldi man in Russia's unmapped forests. Kurosawa traces the evolution of a deep and abiding bond between the two men, one civilized in the usual sense, the other at home in the sub-zero Siberian woods. There's no question that Dersu Uzala (the film is named for the Goldi character, played by Maxim Munzuk) has the muscular, imaginative look of a large-canvas Soviet Mosfilm from the 1970s. But in its energy and insight it is absolutely Kurosawa, from its implicit fascination with the meeting of opposite worlds to certain moments of tranquility and visual splendor. But nothing looks like Kurosawa more than a magnificent action sequence in which the co-heroes fight against time and exhaustion to stay alive in a wicked snowstorm. For fans of the late legend, this is a Kurosawa not to be missed. --Tom Keogh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spotlight Reviews (What's this?)
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
16 of 17 people found the following review helpful:

Dersu Uzala :Kurosawa's Vision of Man in Nature, November 5, 2000
Reviewer: James D. Eret (see more about me) from San Diego
Dersu Uzala is one of my favorite films, a film to be cherished for its subtlties and how they eventually lead to larger truths. Very few films are made on the themes of compassion and subtle bravery. Yuri Solomin, the Russian captain who leads a small squad of soldiers into the Siberian wilds to survey the land, is one of the most memorable portraits of compassion ever put on film. His relationship to Dersu (Maksum Muzuk)is almost totally intuitive and wordless. The captain knows almost from the onset that this Goldi wilderness hunter is special and step by step the captain and his men learn gentle and harsh lessons from this marvelous woodsmen, how to survive in almost impossible weather conditions, how to act like a man, with dignity and compassion. This was one of Kurosawa's last films. It was a difficult time in his life when it was reported he attempted suicide and that George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola help him get this movie made, knowing that this lengendary director should not be neglected. The cinematography goes much farther than nature specials and some scenes, like the distant icy landscapes lit by firelight, create a beautiful, unforgettable vision of that wild place. I guess you could call this an action picture, but Kurosawa gives us more, dives deeper to show us the day to day wonders, the harsh existence, and sadness when one is taken out one's element and put in an alien one. Dersu Uzala is a brilliant, lasting vision of man humbled by nature but respecting nature, and then bringing it back in a poem of reflection. The understated ending, so subtle, almost mute, is one of the most moving I've ever watched. All viewers should cherish this film for so many strengths and be glad that we had such a master film maker as Kurosawa among us. He will be greatly missed by all. Highly recommended for all ages, a masterpiece that will test and reward the audience like the harshness of the Siberian landscapes it so boldly portrays.

Any Cantina folks seen it?:)

Hadn't even heard of it before now. Sounds like a movie I would really enjoy though.:)

It is a great movie,a masterpiece by Akira Kurosawa. Not only it is amazinly beautifull but also makes you think. You are going to love Dersu.

Tbar

OK, I ended up buying my own copy of Dersu Uzala.

I love it.

I've already watched it six or seven times, and find pleasure in it each new viewing.

The scenery is perfect, the characters are just what they should be, and you can really feel the relationships between the main characters, and even those who are just extras. It isn't romanticized, nor exaggerated. It is a series of portraits of humanity, with the good, bad, happy, and sad elements all made part of the texture of the film.

It doesn't have the drama and violence of Yojimbo or The Seven Samurai. It is not a "weapons" film. There are NO special effects.
It incorporates optimism and realism in a beautiful blend that makes me happy I watched it again...each time.

I got my copy on eBay in vhs.

Kis
We have so much.

This is a great movie.

It's about a mountain man in Siberia, Dersu Uzala, and his relationship with the head of a survey crew. Great scenes

- getting trapped on the frozen lake in a blizzard, and Dersu saves the day by constructing a shelter with grass and a surveyor's tripod,

-When the soldiers are using a bottle hung from a string for target practice and Dersu is distressed that they are going to break the bottle, so he makes a deal with them that if he can shoot the string he can have the bottle. He does so, then scurries over, grabs the bottle, and scurries off with it.

By the way, it's a true story. There's also a book. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/092970150X/104-5879657-7898307?v=glance

It's been a few years since I've seen this one. I'll have to get it again to watch.

look at that. Kurosawa found working in japan too difficult.
And he was japanese!

I guess I should be proud im not a raging alcoholic..

Kismet, I saw it in 1977 and never forgot it. The ending is heartbreakingly poignant and an unforgettable comment on materialism; instead of saving Dersu, a gift is his doom (Nope, won't give it away). One of my all-time favorites.

Stephen

This is a great movie.

It's about a mountain man in Siberia, Dersu Uzala, and his relationship with the head of a survey crew. Great scenes

- getting trapped on the frozen lake in a blizzard, and Dersu saves the day by constructing a shelter with grass and a surveyor's tripod,

-When the soldiers are using a bottle hung from a string for target practice and Dersu is distressed that they are going to break the bottle, so he makes a deal with them that if he can shoot the string he can have the bottle. He does so, then scurries over, grabs the bottle, and scurries off with it.

By the way, it's a true story. There's also a book. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/092970150X/104-5879657-7898307?v=glance

It's been a few years since I've seen this one. I'll have to get it again to watch.

About 20 yrs ago I was in the local movie rental store looking for a worthwhile movie to rent and watch. I saw this particular movie and read the info on the jacket and decide to giv e it a try. I was not dissapointed, even though the quality of the VHS was not the best it became one of the most rewarding and significant productions that I had ever seen. It impressed me for several reasons. Myself being a conservation and outdoor type person and the similarities that I shared with the theme of this movie was one of those reasons. The fact that it was prtrayed and filmed in Siberia was another. Americans for the past 70 or so years had considered that geographical area a Soviet entity or property. The movie showed Siberia in an entirely different view, even though it was a communist possession it could also be stunning and wild and beautiful. Also it was the resourceful and clever capabilities that Dersu demonstrated was also very interesting.Also the survival effort that he and the capitan engaged in was very impressive. Siberia is no place to visit unprepared. I very much liked this movie it is worthwhile watching, I highly recommend it.

Amazing movie. Akira Kurosawa is a master director of his time. Dersu Uzala is one of his masterpieces. Although definitely alot slower paced than some of his other famous films it has a great quality all to its own.

I don't think it is as popular as his more famous films like Seven Samurai, Ran, Yojimbo or Sanjuro it is nice to see how Akira handles this more intimate story. I have fond memories of watching this movie when I was young.

Edit: just realized this thread is like 13 years old.

Thought maybe I'd entered a time warp or something.
Bumping over to the Cantina for further discussion.

Back