OTF EDC?!

os_tempore

Wargrip & Cerakote
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I love fixed blades - zero failure points in a well made blade.

That said, my current EDC is a microtech OTF. Besides the small lateral wiggle that's been there the whole time, the darn thing has held up to about 8 months of pocket carrying cardboard cutting food stabbing work. The blade is M390.

I'm quite impressed with how well it's done. The only issue I've had, one time, was by not lubing it for too long and the thumb release required some extra effort. Now I lube it good with T9 about every over month and let it drip out over night. Never had a FTF. Never accidentally shot its payload in my pocket.

This is for all you worrying about so many mechanics in a knife for EDC. Regular use is OK. But, I still wouldn't trust my life to it, though. My backup EDC is a magnacut honey badger Paul (CPE Knives) made for me - among other fixed.

My Ultratech was awesome at first. Then, not. Failure to retract without the aid of gravity. I don't have the confidence to take it apart and fix it myself. I'm not sure if Microtech will fix it. I have a hunch it was user error. My first OTF.

i have a bunch of these, and yes, the MT knives make fine EDC blades if you make sure to not use them for gunky stuff like tape (or keep them cleaned off after cutting said tape). I carry one often. I actually like the ease of deployment of my Guardian Tactical Recon 35 over my Ultratechs, but its just personal preference. I think one could do far worse for an EDC than something like the Benchmade Shootout.

I have an Ultratech in my rotation. Its my only OTF. So far I haven't have any deployment issues and I like the knife. I have folders that I enjoy more tho.

My Ultratech was awesome at first. Then, not. Failure to retract without the aid of gravity. I don't have the confidence to take it apart and fix it myself. I'm not sure if Microtech will fix it. I have a hunch it was user error. My first OTF.

I've shot it into cardboard a number of times, tripping the protection. I think lube is key.

Carry whatever blade you like the best; that has proven to be reliable...
Nobody can fault your personal choices!

I have an Ultrtech and I really love it. The only problem is arthritis in my hands makes it very hard to deploy, so it doesn’t get carried anymore.

I really want to get a Kerahaw Livewire. I tried one at a local shop, and it had the easiest, smoothest action I have ever felt on an OTF.

My Ultratech… and a couple of others…

Carry whatever blade you like the best; that has proven to be reliable...
Nobody can fault your personal choices!

Its been reliable, yes. And honestly I do like the pop. But as someone that prefers fixed blades, I can't honestly say can be proven reliable.

I've read a lot about OTFs as a carry option and I was skeptical. But it really has been a good knife. Still wouldn't take it where it counts though - like SD or camping/hunting/hiking. And definitely not the beach or salt water.

I have an Ultrtech and I really love it. The only problem is arthritis in my hands makes it very hard to deploy, so it doesn’t get carried anymore.

I really want to get a Kerahaw Livewire. I tried one at a local shop, and it had the easiest, smoothest action I have ever felt on an OTF.

My Ultratech… and a couple of others…

I actually have a Dirac Delta, I figured the clicker would be in a more natural place with how I'd deploy it and hold it. A little lube goes a long way. It's like a 50% reduction in opening force when lubed vs not. I also use Boing T9 and soak it down on the inside. Kinda cleans the stuff out too.

I have been carrying one of the first Kershaw Livewires as my exclusive cutter for daily carry.

I have put it through some cutting tasks that were pretty rough, but it has been great, no failures.

The most handy thing is really the easy closing, easy to open, use to cut, then close and drop back in pocket to go on with whatever you are doing.

They are real knives and can be a great edc in my experience.

All of the dual action otf autos I have seen are not under tension at rest, closed or open, and thus cannot fire open in a pocket like a swing open auto who's blade is under tension when closed.

I still carry a Vic Waiter and one other traditional slip joint because I am a knife nerd after all....

The newer gen Microtechs that just came out have some of the best firing ease. Better than my Livewire and Hogue. Still some blade play, but the ease of firing is worlds better.

Back